Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations Khaos-Rover Comp Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
Old guy

I told you that was to much toe-out.

And what I seen of these tires they worked really well. I think they did a little better on the slick rock ,than the Rovers.

Last edited by ROCKEDUP RICKY; 09-26-2010 at 11:58 AM.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Shane the foam looks like the set-up similar to the ones Eddie sent me for the Hateraids what a great package. This tire looks very promising I'm liking the height. How does it compare to your Hateraid tires?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Shane the foam looks like the set-up similar to the ones Eddie sent me for the Hateraids what a great package. This tire looks very promising I'm liking the height. How does it compare to your Hateraid tires?
I gave up on the Haterades cause I didn't have the right foam in my arsenal (and I was too lazy to get some from Eddie). I couldnt tune them to the way I wanted them.
So, I just got these from Eddie at Nationals. Pretty much ready to go without much tuning other than some front wheel weight.
I do like that the Khaos-Rover's are wider than the Haterades.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #24
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Did you go Crawlapalooza? If so, did you use these tires?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Did you go Crawlapalooza? If so, did you use these tires?
Yes I did go and No I did not use the Khaos-Rovers. I was a little worried about running the memories in the cooler weather.
I ran siped Rovers with CI DD 5.5" foams.

I ran the Khaos-Rovers last weekend at the Ark/La/Miss comp in Little Rock, AR.
Alot of slick loose shale-gravel with slick rock outcroppings and jagged edges. They worked just as good as the ol' rover setup.

You have any comments on the outer memory foams and temperature sensitivity?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #26
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

C.I. team driver Andy (CRSMacgyver) ran them and won 2nd place at Crawlapalooza with the memory foam outers. I know my memory foams are temperature sensitive because I ran them last year in my Super. The cut off temp seems to be in the mid 50's before I noticed them stiffening up. I ran some memory foams in the front tires Sunday while testing at 86jeep 's ranch and it was in the low 70's and they performed flawless.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
C.I. team driver Andy (CRSMacgyver) ran them and won 2nd place at Crawlapalooza with the memory foam outers. I know my memory foams are temperature sensitive because I ran them last year in my Super. The cut off temp seems to be in the mid 50's before I noticed them stiffening up. I ran some memory foams in the front tires Sunday while testing at 86jeep 's ranch and it was in the low 70's and they performed flawless.
All-righty-then! That is what I was looking for.

These tires/foams have worked on every rock type I have tried them on at local comps. Three different rock types so far. Like I said, i didn't know about the temperature ranges and didn't run em that day, I knew the DD's/rovers would work.
They will not be leaving my hands anytime soon. I am going to run them in two weeks.

I have been running them at 12oz total up front and 6 oz total out back. I had them at 10oz total up front and it wasn't enough, the front got pushed around too much.

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
I gave up on the Haterades cause I didn't have the right foam in my arsenal (and I was too lazy to get some from Eddie). I couldn't tune them to the way I wanted them.
So, I just got these from Eddie at Nationals. Pretty much ready to go without much tuning other than some front wheel weight.
I do like that the Khaos-Rover's are wider than the Hatreds.
Nice right up Shane I'm gonna have to give those Khaos-Rovers a try.
Still working on the Hateraids just softened them way up and they got much better. I really like the height and they side hills better than anything in my tire box. But I went back to my Haters for comps just more predictable for me.

Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Yehp. The Haterades were an experiment for me. Glad you had some success with em.

I thought about maybe dremelling some vertical grooves on the inside of the x-lock sidewalls to help soften them up but I think I have my set sold. You know like taking a dish cutoff wheel and making like 20 grooves from bead to top of x-lock sidewall. Just have to be careful not to go all the way through.

The Khaos-Rovers are now my local comp club tire of choice, unless I just know they will not work on a certain rock. But I thought that 2 comps ago at our Natural Dam, AR spot and they kicked butt!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #30
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

We had our first local comp of our new series this last Saturday. Gavin and I ran a new set of Khaos - Sedona side walled tires. I was able to place 1st and Gavin was fourth. I trimmed my lugs into a custom pattern. I used medium inners narrowed to 2.00 width and memory outers in the front and firm inners narrowed to 2.00 width and memory outers in the back. They were mounted on a 1" wide wheel and the bergs weighed in 5 pounds 14 ounces. The Khaos tire is one of my top three must have tires when I travel for competitions with a Rover and Sedona being the other two. It was consistent and did everything I wanted it to. It did not matter if the tire was wet, dry, or dusty. It kept working.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We had our first local comp of our new series this last Saturday. Gavin and I ran a new set of Khaos - Sedona side walled tires. I was able to place 1st and Gavin was fourth. I trimmed my lugs into a custom pattern. I used medium inners narrowed to 2.00 width and memory outers in the front and firm inners narrowed to 2.00 width and memory outers in the back. They were mounted on a 1" wide wheel and the bergs weighed in 5 pounds 14 ounces. The Khaos tire is one of my top three must have tires when I travel for competitions with a Rover and Sedona being the other two. It was consistent and did everything I wanted it to. It did not matter if the tire was wet, dry, or dusty. It kept working.
Great to hear.

They'll be getting a workout this weekend at this new Northwest AR spot.
NWARC July 24th Comp Results
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #32
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Great to hear.

They'll be getting a workout this weekend at this new Northwest AR spot.
NWARC July 24th Comp Results

That location looks awesome. I hate you guys with all the cool natural terrain to crawl. These tires should shine there for sure. I personally like the fact that these tires have no side lugs. With all the little valleys in those pictures, I think you will like not having side lugs.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #33
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
That good to hear about the tires. I was very impressed with them on Gavin rig at Nats. They were hooking even wet and muddy.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
That good to hear about the tires. I was very impressed with them on Gavin rig at Nats. They were hooking even wet and muddy.
Gavin beat me at Nat's with these tires! (I didn't own them yet)

I was 53rd and he was 52! I was running rovers.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Ya they were working really well this past saturday.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Well. the Khoas-Rovers helped me to win the Summer/Fall Series of the NWARC Club.
In the 5 comps we had, I ran these tires/foams in the last two comps. I didn't get them til august.

Finished up yesterday with a -37 (-5, -6, -16, -10) on 4 courses. Temp about 73 degrees and we were in the shade all day. The rock was slick in some spots but had just enough rough spots to let the pins grab. Less wheelspeed was the key and using momentum on steep uphills.
Oh yeah my Fx-R lost reverse after the first course, so no reverse for 3 of out 4 courses. Kinda liked not having reverse too.

added 2 more ozs to the fronts after last months comp. The front would get pushed too much.
Wheel/tire/foam setup was 14 oz total for each front and 6 oz total each rear. 5.4lb truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-25-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Congrats Shane! That looks like a fun comp spot.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #38
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Congratulations Shane!

Have you thought about trimming the lugs at all? I trimmed mine in a custom pattern and I will try and post a picture of them later.

It's great to know about the temperature and how the memory foam outers reacted. I am keeping track of the temperatures and the memory foam. We ran them Saturday for one battery pack to test them and they performed normal. The temperature that day was low 70's.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Congrats Shane! That looks like a fun comp spot.
Thanks, this was my first time to this spot. They didn't find it til late summer. The picture shown is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total area. I did find some petrified wood out there too.

Quote:
Congratulations Shane!

Have you thought about trimming the lugs at all? I trimmed mine in a custom pattern and I will try and post a picture of them later.

It's great to know about the temperature and how the memory foam outers reacted. I am keeping track of the temperatures and the memory foam. We ran them Saturday for one battery pack to test them and they performed normal. The temperature that day was low 70's.
Thanks. They let me win a comp or two evey now and then to keep things even. Someone slipped up and let me win the whole summer/fall series .

I saw your 1.9 pin cutting patterns. Competitive crawling season is winding down for AR, so i'll have some time to cut them up. I might have missed it but what are you using to cut the pins? side cutters or some curved sisscors?
The pins on these are starting to show a tad bit of wear on the leading edges. I just rotate them every now and then.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
I saw your 1.9 pin cutting patterns. Competitive crawling season is winding down for AR, so i'll have some time to cut them up. I might have missed it but what are you using to cut the pins? side cutters or some curved sisscors?
The pins on these are starting to show a tad bit of wear on the leading edges. I just rotate them every now and then.
I use curved body scissors to remove the lugs on my tires. I don't think I trimmed the inside bead off your tires so if you get time, pull the tires off and remove that Khaos truggy bead. It will help soften the tire up a little more.

The set Gavin and I are currently sharing have not shown any wear yet. I'm hoping they will hook even better as they wear.