Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations Khaos-Rover Comp Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #41
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Any updates Shane?
Have you switched out the memory foam outers yet?

I'm still using the memory foam outers on my set. The East Texas weather is still nice enough for it. I can say that after I removed lugs on my set, they are definitely showing accelerated wear. I love the tire though. By far it's one of my favorite tires and it keeps surprising me every time I take it out to practice and test with.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

I got to drive on mine for a little bit the other day, and they are a really cool tire for sure. Mine have every third row cut out (Rubbaneck cut) and that seems to help without any negatives. Also, It was 65 degrees outside and I had some concerns about the memory foams. well, those were laid to rest, all I did is leave the truck in the sun for 15 mintues and the memorys were buttery soft.

The quality of the Crawler Innovations memory foam is second to none. I am currently running memory outers with medium front inners and firm rear inners. I plan on going to soft front inners and medium rear inners next.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Any updates Shane?
None since the NWARC season closer comp. Takin' a break from comping for a few months and tweaking the truck. It's in pieces right now. I was thinking of maybe removing a few pins here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
I got to drive on mine for a little bit the other day, and they are a really cool tire for sure. Mine have every third row cut out (Rubbaneck cut) and that seems to help without any negatives. Also, It was 65 degrees outside and I had some concerns about the memory foams. well, those were laid to rest, all I did is leave the truck in the sun for 15 mintues and the memorys were buttery soft.

The quality of the Crawler Innovations memory foam is second to none. I am currently running memory outers with medium front inners and firm rear inners. I plan on going to soft front inners and medium rear inners next.
Last comp I ran it was 70 and in the shade. The foams were still working fine. Enough for the win!
Haven't done any foam tuning. I think they are perfect like they are setup now, even with only the front wheel/tire/foam setup being 12oz total.

I might cut the inner ribs out like Eddie mentioned too.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

thought i'd bump this thread up to see if anyone had any up date on their foam tuning. I'm just finishing up gluing my set together tonight. Soon as my new inner foams from eddie and my slw rear wheels get here ill mount them up and get pictures.
Rootar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootar View Post
thought i'd bump this thread up to see if anyone had any up date on their foam tuning. I'm just finishing up gluing my set together tonight. Soon as my new inner foams from eddie and my slw rear wheels get here ill mount them up and get pictures.

This is still my current setup from the first post. They are perfect for my truck and driving style. I even put my truck on a 1lb diet and they still are good. I did drop down to 12oz total each front, even after the diet.

Tires...
5 1/8" tall and 2 1/8" wide mounted and weighted on 1 inch wide wheels

Foams...
5.5 CI DD NF medium density inner with 5.5 CI DD NF memory foam outers
2 inch wide inner on front and 1 7/8" wide inner on rear

Total...
Each front w/t/f is 12oz total and each rear w/t/f is 8oz total with wheels vented. Reduced weight Eritex delrin berg rears with Wheel Work's 1911's Axial offset up front.
I usually run 12oz total up front and 6oz total out back with rovers. And I didn't get a foam weight before I dismounted for measurements.

Truck is 5 lb 6oz RTR. 11" wide up front and 10 1/2" wide out back

Last edited by Szczerba; 01-07-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Well I glued my side walls a little different than yours it appears, but i just got mine mounted and weighed.

Fronts are on DH procomps (1.2" wide) with 3 slugs, 2" medium inners with 1 medium tuning ring, and standard soft outters. They weigh in at 12.6oz total, they stand 5 1/4" tall and are 2 1/8" wide. (nice flat profile)

Rears are on V4 SLWS (1" wide) no weight, 2.25" firm inners, Standard soft outters, and a memory foam tuning rear on top. They weigh in at 6.9 oz total, they stand 5 1/2" tall, only 2" wide. These also have a slighty round profile.

my rig RTR weighs in at 5lb 9oz , Im 11" up front and 10.5" in the back. weight on front axle is 1lb 13oz rear axle weight is 1lb 5oz. we'll see how they do.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootar View Post
Well I glued my side walls a little different than yours it appears, but i just got mine mounted and weighed.

Fronts are on DH procomps (1.2" wide) with 3 slugs, 2" medium inners with 1 medium tuning ring, and standard soft outters. They weigh in at 12.6oz total, they stand 5 1/4" tall and are 2 1/8" wide. (nice flat profile)

Rears are on V4 SLWS (1" wide) no weight, 2.25" firm inners, Standard soft outters, and a memory foam tuning rear on top. They weigh in at 6.9 oz total, they stand 5 1/2" tall, only 2" wide. These also have a slighty round profile.

my rig RTR weighs in at 5lb 9oz , Im 11" up front and 10.5" in the back. weight on front axle is 1lb 13oz rear axle weight is 1lb 5oz. we'll see how they do.
Good deal. Pictures? I didn't make my set. CrawlerInnovations fabbed these up. I just twisted his arm for them.
They should do good, especially once you get the foams and weight dialed in. I am thinking about cutting some lugs on the front but I have been saying that for a while. They work good right now without cut lugs.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

I'll snap a couple pics in a little bit, i think im gonna yank that memory foam outter tunning ring out of the rears and replace it with a meduim inner ring since its about to freeze us out down here.

AND man is this thing so much smoother at any kind of speed with these tires.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

supercross is over here are pics of mine, you can see i "filled" my seem from the out side, after i washed them today you cant even see the seem

Im digging them already! Even though all i've read was slow down slow down when your running pins, these things are AWESOME when you need to carry a little wheel speed to shoot up slick climb, ultra consistant and predictable tires. i found you dont have to go "slow" but rather just be gentle with the throttle because when you have alot of motor these are easy to break loose, which is good IMO they grip grip grip and when you need to you can easliy break them loose. Too bad i only got about an hour on the tires before my last stock transfer gear let go. I've got HR gears ready to go in so i can get some more runtime on these babies before the 1st comp.

Last edited by Rootar; 01-09-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #50
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Glad to read how much you like these Rootar. A number of people are beginning to wake up to the Khaos tire and learn how good it really is.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I'm running Losi Boss Claws on both my AX Fastback and my XR, and was wondering what benefit these would provide over them. Someone mentioned that the these are a bit bigger than the Boss Claws. If someone has both sets, and can give me some info on how much bigger they are, that would be helpful.

In 1.9 format would be more beneficial to me, since Losi doesn't make a 1.9 Boss Claw.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #52
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
I'm running Losi Boss Claws on both my AX Fastback and my XR, and was wondering what benefit these would provide over them. Someone mentioned that the these are a bit bigger than the Boss Claws. If someone has both sets, and can give me some info on how much bigger they are, that would be helpful.

In 1.9 format would be more beneficial to me, since Losi doesn't make a 1.9 Boss Claw.

They are completely different compounds for one.

The Khaos have no side lugs, the Boss Claws do. I suppose this is a matter of personal preference, but I love no side lugs and so do several of the Team C.I. Drivers.

The Khaos can be shortened to be the same height as the Boss Claws and one of my Team Drivers did that for his truck.

As for 1.9 Khaos tires, it is best to make them from red dot buggy tires. I have made several sets of them for myself and customers and they have good reviews.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info.

I think I'm out of budget funds for the next couple months, but after that, I'll probably be getting with you regarding some 1.9's.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #54
RCC Addict

hey eddie i just bought some of the truggy tires off your site. im gonna be using either chisel or leopard sidewalls since i dont have rovers anymore or should i just get some rovers and hack em up lol. thanks

Last edited by Kratos; 01-20-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

The first NWARC comp was yesterday. Even though it was going to be snow, ice and water on the courses, the Khoas-Rovers were my tire choice. Had to think on the foam setup.
They had the CrawlerInnovations Memory foam outers but with the ~35-40 degree weather I knew those wouldn't work. I have several old and well used non-memory OG CrawlerInnovation 5.5" DD's in the shop. I mean like well over 1 year old and many crawling hours on them. I put one of the OG 5.5" outers in the tires and they just felt way too soft for me. So I stuffed another 5.5" outer in the tire. They didn't look pretty but it firmed up the tired like I wanted. And they worked in the cold weather. My truck is still 5lb 4oz with 13 oz each front wheel/tire/foam and rears are 8oz total each.

With the CloverCustomDesign front tubes I just got added, I was able to gain more caster. Also, I run Axial offset wheels up front. 11" wide. With that combo these tries can really reach for ledges, even without big chunky side lugs.

Also, I had siped the Khaos-Rovers a month or so ago. I knew I wanted to do a alternating "bar" setup in the rear. Had to scratch my head and do some searching on the fronts. I did everyother row on the front insides and everyother row on the front outside but left one pin for outer tire grip.

Rootar had made a set of these (pictured in thread above) and was running CrawlerInnovation foams as well. I believe just some CI DD 5.5".
He managed to edge me out by 7 points yesterday for first place.
So, long story short. Khaos-Rovers took the top two spots at the NWARC first comp.

40 degress, ice, snow, watery course. Worked great.
As I have said before, these tires work on many different rock types.
Thanks to RockedUpRicky for the Pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 01-23-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #56
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

HELL YEAH!!! That's awesome news to read! Congrats you two. The Khaos tires are money. The Khaos tires and Crawler Innovations Double Deuce foams did well in Arizona this weekend as well. Thank you for the update and keep me posted please.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Here is a shot of mine from yesterday. 1-2 win for the khaos rovers yesterday with me and shane.

Im glad i didnt get into any snow with mine not being cut, i think shanes cut set would have easily cleaned out though.

I was running DD 5.5" foams, had medium 2.25 front inners with one inner med tuning ring wrapped with the standard outter, then in the back i had a stand full width Firm inner rear, im thinking about adding an inner tunning ring to the rears. Shane said my tires were REALLY soft in the rear.

Last edited by Rootar; 01-23-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #58
RCC Addict

i ran mine yesterday at an in door course and noticed these things grabbed extremely well in almost all places. i had a littl better luck in some areas with my cut boss claws but overall i think i like these better. im amazed at their ability to grab ledges even without the sidewall lugs. im guessing these will improve once i break them in just like my claws. awesome tire eddie thanks for the idea
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Default Super Khaos

Here are some 7.75" Super Khaos tires I made with Crawler Innovations dual stage foams, They really hook up!

4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #60
RCC Addict

You guys ran these much on riprap?
Do they hook?
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote