Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations Khaos-Rover Comp Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Crawler Innovations Khaos-Rover Comp Tire

I saw these in the back of Eddie's truck at Nationals and had to try them. Review coming in another thread.

Hot Bodies Khaos (Red) Truggy tire with Hot Bodies Rover sidewalls made by Crawler Innovations

Tires...
5 1/8" tall and 2 1/8" wide mounted and weighted on 1 inch wide wheels

Foams...
5.5 CI DD NF medium density inner with 5.5 CI DD NF memory foam outers
2 inch wide inner on front and 1 7/8" wide inner on rear

Total...
Each front w/t/f is 14oz total and each rear w/t/f is 8oz total with wheels vented. Reduced weight Eritex delrin berg rears with Whee Work's 1911's Axial offset up front.
I usually run 12oz total up front and 6oz total out back with rovers. And I didn't get a foam weight before I dismounted for measurements.

Truck is 6 lb 2oz RTR. 11" wide up front and 10 1/2" wide out back
Just a bit taller next to a front leopard setup. Didn't have any mounted rovers to compare.
Attached Images

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I saw these in the back of Eddie's truck at Nationals and had to try them. I had been running my rovers trying some lines at Disney, so I took these (mounted on Eddie's wheels) and tried them on the same lines as the rovers. Bolted the setup on the moonbuggy and could a slight change in weight, just a bit more. I believe that comes from the bigger truggy pin tire and the memory outer. I ran these for two 850mah packs that day and two more 850mah packs the next day at another spot with more vertical and extreme sidehills.

I was really amazed with the performance of these at first throttle.
Crawler Innovations put together a great foam setup for this tire and that didn’t surprise me. They are always spot on with foam tuning.
The 5.5” memory foam outers let the tire flex and wad up when needed but still offer the support, side hill stability and no bounce feel you look for. Ha, sounds like a commercial. Look at the pictures for examples.
If you slow down with these tires, as with any crawler pin tire, they will hook up just as good as a non-pin tire. I really like the no bounce effect the outer memory’s offer. I was able to lock the rear axle and use the fronts to pull the truck up and over the ledges at Disney. Just like I was doing with my rover setup. If you slow down with these tires, you can still dig and turn all you want to get the right approach to crawls.
These tires/foams are really consistent when getting up the wheel speed for certain crawls. They do not bounce around at all, very predictable. Much like the Sedona’s when using a lot of wheel speed. But with any pin crawler tire, the wheel speed option is used less.

So, long story short. I wrestled these out of Eddie's hands and mounted them up on my wheels later in the second day of running.
I am probably going to run these tires/foams in the next three comps in October.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Is there anyway to get them taller? I'm kinda hoping for a 5.8"ish pin tire to pop up from somewhere. Also have you ever had Boss claws or know someone that you can compare them?

Cheers
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

From of road racing to going up the face of a rock is there anything that mini pins can't do?
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Is there anyway to get them taller? I'm kinda hoping for a 5.8"ish pin tire to pop up from somewhere. Also have you ever had Boss claws or know someone that you can compare them?

Cheers
Kieren
These are 5.5" from Hot Bodies. You could probably splice in some more rubber but I bet getting a taller sidewall would be the tough part. And I am not sure how they would look.
I have not had any boss claws but I know the boss claws work good, from the few times I have seen them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matador View Post
From of road racing to going up the face of a rock is there anything that mini pins can't do?
Right now, I would say a slick dusty rock does not mix well with these tires. I have some of that rock type in my rock pile and they slide but so do alot of tires. I have only tested these Khaos-Rover tires at Disney, OK. But will be running them on a slicker type rock this weekend.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I saw some of those khaos' at my LHS and wondered how they were compound-wise, glad to see someones testing them out. they look mean and wide! but also so simple! keep us updated on their success/whatnot!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
I saw some of those khaos' at my LHS and wondered how they were compound-wise, glad to see someones testing them out. they look mean and wide! but also so simple! keep us updated on their success/whatnot!
These Red Compound HB Khaos tires feel awesome. They use this Red dot compound in a crawler tire, i just cant remember which crawler tire.

I should get a comp in on them this weekend.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
These Red Compound HB Khaos tires feel awesome. They use this Red dot compound in a crawler tire, i just cant remember which crawler tire.

I think the 1.9 Rovers are Red dot. I'll check when I get home.

Last edited by Arcain41; 09-21-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Arcain41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I love these tires. 4xFord (Shelby) was up from Houston visiting the weekend before Nationals when these tires were first tested. We had about 8 guys together practicing and running lines at a local park called Children's Park. This tire and foam combo flat out owned that spot. Everyone could not believe how well they did including myself. They did a couple lines I have never done with any tire. The red dot compound is amazing and the memory foam outer foam was perfect. Shelby made himself a set that night and another local driver ordered himself a set. They work. My son ran them in the LCQ at Nationals and qualified for Nationals even in the rain and mud with the set Shane owns.

The tire is 5.5 tall. It's a truggy tire. The bergs we have ran these tires on weighed 5 pounds 13 ounces. They were on 1" wide Vanquish Products wheels. While at Nationals, I had several sets of tires mounted up on VP wheels sitting out that anyone could take and test them on their crawler. Shane took these and did not want to give them back. Obviously we came to an agreement and they became his.

Of course no one tire is everything to everywhere, but these have been the most impressive and surprising tires I have made for a 2.2 in a long time. When I talked with Hot Bodies about them, neither of us knew what to expect. Thankfully they work very well.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcain41 View Post
I think the 1.9 Rovers are Red dot. I'll check when I get home.
You are correct. Currently the 1.9 Rover is the only crawler tire being made in that compound. I have been trying to get a run of red dot rovers and sedonas made. I am still working on my HB dealer rep about it. There is a rumor that one of Texas guys had two sets of red dot sedonas so I know it's possible.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
no talent hack

i had a set of red dot sedonas at worlds last year. imo the whites are alot better
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-hills4x4 View Post
i had a set of red dot sedonas at worlds last year. imo the whites are alot better
red compound is softer then white sedona compound?
thankssssss
guidetti_angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
no talent hack

yup
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

[

QUOTE=e-hills4x4;2650681]yup[/QUOTE]

Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

so this red compound for 2.2 sedona isn't yet available?
does it will go to production?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

no. i don't think hb well be making any more of them.
tomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

finally! apin tire i can use on my clod!!
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default Slick Rock Test

Ran in a comp at Natural Dam, Arkansas today. The rock is super slick with a few opportunities for traction. Pictures by Rocked Up Ricky (except the picture of the dam).

Small turnout but all the other trucks were running white dot rovers, all with different foam setups.
The temps were upper 70's low 80's. The memory foam outers did a good job.
This tire/foam setup was just as good as the rovers, on every line. The height of these helped with some breakovers. The Khaos-Rovers will get the nod when we come back to this spot.

The Khaos-Rovers are taller than the Losi Boss Claws by quite a bit. I compared the heights but forgot to take a picture.

Last picture is some wadded up breakage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 09-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

uum! that don't look right

looks like they work good. nice pics of the tires

Last edited by spyderwebbcustoms; 09-26-2010 at 10:41 AM.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderwebbcustoms View Post

uum! that don't look right

looks like they work good. nice pics of the tires
Yeah, that was one of those DA moments. I was trying to get the climb and ran out of time. So i just smashed the throttle and started doing flips and it caught and snap!. I never do that kind of crap but I wanted to get that climb!

I was really suprised with these pin tires on this super slick rock type. I was thinking about switching just before the comp but didn't. They hooked up good, just have to go real sloooowwww.