Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: New white dot rowers - dents on tire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New white dot rowers - dents on tire?

Hello all,

I just got yesterday my new white dot rowers. The tires are not completely round, there are "dents" or flat spots at various areas (on the outside - not the side walls). Is that normal which will go away over time - maybe by the rim pushing it back to a normal shape)? Or did I get a dud?

Please advise...
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It's because the stock foams don't fill the tire. Put some foams in there that will fill up the tire such as the 5.5" CI dual Stage foams that a lot of people are running.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the fast reply. Why did they then put the stock foams in, if they are no good?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguy View Post
Thanks for the fast reply. Why did they then put the stock foams in, if they are no good?
I didn't say that they were "no good". They just don't fill the tire all the way. When I ran Rovers for the first time in 2008 I ran them with stock foams and it wasn't too bad, but there were plenty of areas that could have been better. Now there are more options out and they are mainly from Crawler Innovations. yeah yeah I know... I'm a team driver.... but it's the truth.

I'm not sure why they released Rovers with foams like that. They did address and fix this issue with the Sedonas.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's not that they're "no good", it's just that there are better choices. Do some SEARCHing and you'll find a lot of info regarding Rovers and foams.

I ran the stockers for a full season before I went to the PL Two-stage in the front, still running stock in the rear. Try the stock foams before you replace them, you might be surprised at how well they actually work.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thank you so much to both of you for explaining: I have a lot to learn - and I appreciate your patience!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

im running the stock foams on my ax-10 and they work good. they had flat spots when they were new but didnt seem to affect performance. waaaayyyyyy better than stock rock lizards. i wouldnt worry about the flat spots.
SmokeScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'd definitely recommend nova foams too. they make the tire wad up less, and seem to give it some pressure downward to force the tire to grip. the stockers are just too short. they work ok in panther cougars though!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #9

I just got some sedonas, do you have any recomendations or just run the stock foam in those as well. Also would you recomend drilling holes in the wheel to get them to flex more?
joshjflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

the original rovers didnt come with the right foams.....oops....thats why you will find the 12.99 ones with little foams........i used the stock foams for my dona's and they worked great
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

I like the stock foams. Lighter trucks can run the smaller foams.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I like the stock foams. Lighter trucks can run the smaller foams.
But soft foams don't like undercuts no matter how light your truck is!

But I imagine you have something else in there.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjflores View Post
I just got some sedonas, do you have any recomendations or just run the stock foam in those as well. Also would you recomend drilling holes in the wheel to get them to flex more?

Some people get decent results with the stockers, but you can try some 5.5" Novas... they work very well for me. You can tune them by narrowing the inner foam in 1/4" increments depending on if you want a softer feel on the front or back. If you are running a +6lb truck I would start with the original setup that he started selling which is a Soft outer foam with a firm inner foam. Order the inners at the widest width so you can narrow them later on if you need to. If you like to fine tune with weight and different suspension setups I would look into his medium density foams or even his memory foams.

I personally drill two 1/8" breather holes in each tire. Some people have 1 hole or smaller holes but that is just another fine tuning option. If you don't run any breather holes you will have a bouncy tire. pm me with any other questions
Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
the original rovers didnt come with the right foams.....oops....thats why you will find the 12.99 ones with little foams........i used the stock foams for my dona's and they worked great
So you can actually find rovers with properly sized foams?

IMO the 12.99 ones are a killer deal, especially if you're planning on running dd's or other non-stock foams.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote