Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: COLD... Really Cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default COLD... Really Cold

Well with winter coming fast up here I'm looking to expand my tire lot. We are putting together an indoor course for the winter but a little bit of a problem. On days we aren't crawling the building will have no heat. With temps down around -30 C (-22f) being common here the rocks will be cold! Even once the heat is turned on it would take days before the rocks are truly warm. So knowing that I'm wanna be prepared for the cold rocks and get some new tires and foam... Anyone else have experience with cold rocks? I was thinking rover pink's with 5.25" DD foams.. seems to be the most referred to tire when its cold. So what tire and foam setup do you run on your rig in the bone chilling cold?
PipeDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Got Worms?

just about everything sucks, don't use memory foam, they will become as hard as the rocks. cold is also hard on the crawler, and especially the batteries, you want to keep those as warm as you can
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I know that stuff... the building will have heat in it well we crawl so the air will be warm but the rocks won't be... I'll keep batteries in my pocket and not worried about crawler parts... It'll be built tough! I'm thinking pinks will harden up in the cold to be a little harder and won't be so bad...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Leopards might also work, being they are so soft. My coldest days are your warm weather lol, so heat is always our problem
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Ya I got a set of those we'll trey them. Does no one run in the cold? What foams are guys using in the pinks to make them work ok?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Last winter I ran white dot Rovers mostly with standard 5.5 Double Deuce Nova Foams. Granted, our coldest days in East Texas are nothing like Canada.

The Rover EX Pink works very well in the rain. It's reputation is better known for the wet because of the sticky pink compound. I'm not so sure about the cold. The Rover EX Pink has a much thicker tire carcass which is why the 5.25" Double Deuce Nova Foam works best in it. That thick tire carcass could be a problem in extreme cold because there is a lot of rubber to absorb the cold. Not certain, just a thought though.

A good tire that is not effected by the cold so much is the Panther Cougar because the rubber is so thin and pliable. The draw back to it is the short height of 5". Another possibility could be the HB Khaos pin tire or Losi Boss Claw. With all those little pins, it doesn't leave big rubber lugs to absorb the cold and get hard.

As long as you stay away from memory foam, just about every tire is going to have similar qualities in the very cold weather.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
RCC Addict

pink rovers and the softes foams u can get when they get cool they get stiffer so it helps to havfe soft stuff it is getting cold here and i run chisels g8 with stock foams and do good but sitting on the floor they have a flat till they warm up
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Right on thanks for the info guts... keep it coming!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Last winter we would comp down to around 0deg F as long as the wind wasn't blowing. I ran Rover white's and just swapped the stock foams back into them. Worked great.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

X2 for Rover Pinks
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
RCC Addict

What foam in the pinks?