Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Narrowing stock XR-10 wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Narrowing stock XR-10 wheels

First I marked the wheel 9mm from the inside edge of the channel on the outer edge of the wheel. No real reason for 9mm, it just put the seam closer towards the middle when welding the two pieces back together. Also, you need to cut 1/4" (or however much you will be narrowing your wheels) from the inner beadlock ring.

I used my scroll saw to make my cuts, but a band saw would also work. Just make sure to rotate the wheel when you make your first cut so that you don't hack up the hex in the center.

Next I measured 1/4" from the inside edge of the channel. This leaves 1/4" that I removed. I measured from the wheel side and not the side where I cut because I tend to get in a hurry and not cut the straightest at times.

Then I used the inner beadlock ring to align the two pieces and make sure that the slots lined up for the inner ring. I used the plastic welder to tack the two pieces together while they're lined up.

Then I went to town with the plastic welder after removing the inner ring. It's not the cleanest work, but it won't be coming apart, either.

I used the cheap $14.99 welder from Harbor Freight. It worked for what I needed it for. The narrowed wheels weigh right at 2oz by my scale with the outer ring and hardware. My wheels came out to 1 1/16" wide when I was done.

Last edited by TruckerBrad; 11-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

great job. thx for sharing! nice/cheap and easy mod.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Any pics of one mounted to a tire?
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'll get you some pics as soon as I get back to the house. It'll be this weekend at the latest.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'm curious how durable it is. Have you had a chance to go out and beat on it yet?
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks good, love the stock wheels and want them a little narrower. Great writeup
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdtsi View Post
I'm curious how durable it is. Have you had a chance to go out and beat on it yet?
I'm waiting for my VP bushings before I can put my axles back together, I'm hoping to try these out this weekend. I would think these should hold up fine. I can grab each side of the wheel and twist it and there isn't any flex. The inner beadlock ring should also help stiffen up the wheel, too.

I'm not the first person to do this so I'd be curious to hear if the others are holding up.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've done this with some cheapo pro lines and super glue. It should hold up fine.

I'm curious to know if they are narrow enough now to work with the Vanquish knuckle.

I guess the same screws still work (not too long)?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I used the stock screws. They're a tad bit long and just start to poke out the back when they're tightened down all the way. As far as the VP knuckles, I'm not sure. I have the BWD piece for the stock wheels on my knuckle and there's a pretty good gap now, but I don't know how narrow your wheel has to be to work with the VP's. I'm running Nova 5.5's with the 2" inner foam front and rear and the Boss Claws were hooking up awesome today in 35 degree weather. Here's some pics for those that wanted to see them with tires mounted.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Do you think some high quality epoxy will work? I got some here, and wanted to know.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Nice job, I'll have to give it a try.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Do you think some high quality epoxy will work? I got some here, and wanted to know.
I think it should. Back before narrow wheels were available guys were cutting wheels and super glueing them back together. On the XR10 wheels you have that one-piece inner beadlock ring that will help hold everything in place when you have a tire mounted, too. Just remember to line up the slots for the inner ring when you epoxy the sides back together so you can get the inner ring to slide in like it's supposed to.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
RcBros Hobbies

Are you able to use the stock weights still? Or how about VP slugs? Thanks for the write up!
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Neither the weight ring nor the slugs will fit anymore. The inner channel is too narrow for the weights and when you cut the inner ring down it moves the little retainer tabs that hold the slugs on the back too close to the outside of the wheel. I just wrapped lead rope around the inside of the wheel.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

try these weights , a buddy of mine did this to his wheels ....Cheap easy wheel weights
mustangboy_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default wheels

I did this to my wheels as well, I used steel mesh and melted it into the wheel. Made it really strong. Cut the VP slugs in half and they work great. I cut out .375 and it has tons of room for the knuckles.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman1600 View Post
I used steel mesh and melted it into the wheel. Made it really strong.
If I do another set I plan on using the steel mesh. The basement didn't smell real good when I got done last time. I'd like to do another set and go a little narrower next time.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default Change the off set

I forgot to mention that I also changed the offset to narrow up the front about 1/2 inch. I heated the wheels and pushed the hex area out toward the outer edge. Just don't get it to hot. each wheel was moved about 1/4 inch. works great.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #19

Hi Everyone

I will say I'm sorry if this question has already been asked but here goes. Why are you narrowing up the tires is it for ground clearance or to make the truck smaller to fit through gate?

Just wondering.......
utilities guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

There may be more to it but I think hes trying to get more steering out of it
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote