Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: what makes a 2.2 tire a COMP tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default what makes a 2.2 tire a COMP tire

I was looking for some good info on what makes a tire a good comp tire.

What is the most important spec, is it overall size, wide or narrow, tread compound, sidewall stiffness or tread pattern?

It looks like around this board a lot of people run sedonas and or rovers to compete with.

Why, is it because they are the tall and have a more round shoulder than many others?

I know a little more about 1:1 wheeling than RC. In rock crawling a tire needs many strong but grippy1 lugs to help make contact, grab and not slip on the rock. Competition 1:1 tires BFG krawler and an interco TSL SX or IROCK have a "tighter" tread pattern to them than comp RC crawl tires.

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE has posted that the flat iron is a crap comp tire and to me that ntire looks a lot like the BFG krawler tread. I am not saying that he is wrong and the flat iron is good or bad or anything like that(just an example).... don't get exited I was looking for info and his comment made me want to know what the reason is.
durrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

HB Rovers and Sedonas just seem to have the height, weight, and tread compound that works. Just like in the 1:1 world it takes several attributes to make a solid performer. Another tire to look at is the Losi Boss Claw, it seems to be performing well against the HB line up. It comes from a different school of thought with the surface area concept in play. All those tiny lugs just seem to grip where others have a hard time. Keep in mind what also really makes a tire perform is the foam set up. Personally I have been having really good luck with HB Rovers white dot compound and heavily sipping them. They really seem to hook up better all siped up. I just got some new ones and some Nova's foams to try out, I can't wait to get them on some DRY rocks as soon as it stops raining here.
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

well rovers have a very good balance of flex and soft lugs....they can vary in shape by foams and rim width......every tire has its conditions though, although rovers seem so work pretty much anywhere
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I haven't experimented with a lot of different tires. I had Proline Hammers and upgraded to Rovers, then never wanted anything else.

The main characteristics that I like the most about my Rovers is the added height and super soft compound (white dot). The tread patter works well, but the height and compound were very noticably better than the stock tires I had before.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The size is one thing I thought was a big factor too.

I got a set of pro line TSL SX 2.2 as a gift a while back and have not mounted them up on my wheels yet. I am building a rig to compete with and the TSL SX will go on there.
If they suck or even if they don't I am going to cut and sipe them.
My thought is that the tire has so much more surface area than a rover or sedona that I can cut it down to be similar to the others. The tires are really soft and grippy feeling I don't see how they can be terrible.

A guy I crawl with has sedonas mounted on his so I can see how they do on the same lines as mine, once I finish mine.....................
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The forces and physics associated with RC crawling is WAY different than the 1.1 world. Not to mention the obvious that I never seem to hear anyone else say:,,,,,,,, RC's use FOAM w/ vented tires or wheels to make the tires work better where as 1.1's use air presure. Plus we generally add a bit of weight to the front wheels. Why? Because it works.
Tires are the same in RC, not any "one" tire is best at all crawling but the Sedona's and Rovers are the most suitable for ALL terrain. If ground clearence, ledges and other terrains were not the issue, Cougars, siped or comp claws would still be great tires. Not discounting the Leopards or Boss Claws either because they definantly shine on certain courses.

The "scale" looking tires (and others) just don't have the compound, tread design or height to be usable as a "comp" tire in today's advanced vehicle set ups.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I asked the wrong question then.
this is a better

Why are the rover and sedona so common for comp rigs?

the more i read and research it seems to me that it is the height

everyone and there mom makes soft, medium and firm tire (or gives the compound a number but meaning the same thing)

I dont know if you have ever seen or touched the 2.2 tsl sx but it is as soft and stickier than the sedona and rovers I have handled. The proline is a little stiffer in the sidewall than the sedona too. They are not new (the tsl is brand new) so that might be why they do not feel as sticky.

I know i sound like i am pushing for the tsl as this great tire BUT I have not run it and I have not run the sedona, rover or any other so called "comp" tire.
I am going to run it as is just to check it out and then like i said cut some sipes into them and then ill compare them to the current "comp" tires.

My son is working on a axial based rig right now so i might just have to put a set of rovers on it just for good arguments.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I tried out some boss claws but havent had a chance to mess with different foam setups yet, switched back to rovers and havent looked back. Rovers flat out work on every kind of rock that I have ran into and are very predictable and that comes in handy when trying to squeeze through a tight gate.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Sedonas and rovers are the most versatile tires so most people use them for comps. They clean out nicely and work well on a wide range of rock types.. they are taller than most other comp tires, work well on all width of rim. You can drop in a set of nova foams and you're ready for the rocks. Low maintainance, and last but not least you can sipe the crap out of them and they tend to work even better. Did I mention they're usually pretty cheap as well
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thats wierd, Rovers and Sadonas cant hold a candle to my Chisels. Once I got them 25% worn down the climb, side hill, and just perform better. IMO, find out what tires and foams are working in the area you live. Dont follow the hipe of someone in a different climate and terrain having their tire tire work where they crawl, just to have them fail where you crawl. I ran Rover white, once. Went right back to my chisels. That is my .02 on the subject.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yeah jeepkid is right Bout the climate and terrain thing. We shall see about the rest some time this summer hehe.
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erforce52285 View Post
Yeah jeepkid is right Bout the climate and terrain thing. We shall see about the rest some time this summer hehe.
Yeah, the tire on a rig is your key point of performance. If the foams, wieght, suspension, throttle curvre, climate, and driver arent right. The rig will not perform properly.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote