Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations Proto type 4.75 Dual Stage Lil' Nova Foams for Scale Crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
RCC Addict

My dorm room is pretty dark for pictures, sorry in advance. I tried to lighten them up a bit.

For the fronts, I had to use the included soft inners because I like a heavy wheel set up. I couldn't stretch the firm foam over the wheel weights. I ended up ripping the firm foam by accident, which left almost an inch gap. So the foam setup feels a tad softer than the rear, sidewall support wasn't compromised too much either because of the height of the weights lol

Thanks again Eddie! The foam set up feels 100x better than the stockers. Can't wait to get them out on the rocks.

Last edited by Gimp; 01-18-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Thank you Eddie! I ran some of the Mickey's on a stock TR last weekend, and was not impressed. The foams are rock hard, and I think the performance suffers alot. The stock foams might work on a really heavy rig, but not a 6 lb one. If these work out well maybe I can talk you into a slightly smaller version for the 1.9 Rok Lox and smaller size tires.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Man, perfect size for that Bronco.

War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Very nice. Get ready to make some bigger one's!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Thank you Eddie! I ran some of the Mickey's on a stock TR last weekend, and was not impressed. The foams are rock hard, and I think the performance suffers alot. The stock foams might work on a really heavy rig, but not a 6 lb one. If these work out well maybe I can talk you into a slightly smaller version for the 1.9 Rok Lox and smaller size tires.
Doesnt he already have some.?.?.? The Lil Nova's? I have Lil Nova's in my 1.9 RokLox now.

Last edited by zrxw13; 01-19-2011 at 06:56 AM.
zrxw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #26
rbl
Rock Crawler

These look great, I'm also ready for a set of these.
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #27
TEAM RCC

When are these going to be available?
bcrofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #28
Moderator Rule Breaker

I received a set of the photo's foams . I threw them in my baja claws.

I had scale comp today, Other than driver error.. The tires performed great.

This in IMO but the foams need to be little stiffer, when side hilling the tires roll under themself's good amount. They also have that "squishy" feeling when you are feeling them up.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #29
~THE SCALE SHOP~

eric i think the claws could binefit from a wider wheel too. the claws are so wide and no matter the foam, if pinched narrow at the bead they dont have much choice but to fold over. then again finding a wider 1.9 is pretty tough as you axial plastics are probly the widest out there.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I really want a set of these! How much longer?

Nate
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #31
Metal shaper

I talked to eddie yesterday about some product and these came up. I told him it was time to get these going as i think this is gonna be the new size for scale 1.9 with all the ttc stuff being built. and they just look so dang good.Also most of the s2.2 reduced tires fall in this size category. Didnt realize the Baja Claw was so wide, maybe some tuning discs would help on the sidewall. As far as a wider wheel goes we could probably fix that too, but there haas to be a demand in order to justify this.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryone View Post
I talked to eddie yesterday about some product and these came up. I told him it was time to get these going as i think this is gonna be the new size for scale 1.9 with all the ttc stuff being built. and they just look so dang good.Also most of the s2.2 reduced tires fall in this size category. Didnt realize the Baja Claw was so wide, maybe some tuning discs would help on the sidewall. As far as a wider wheel goes we could probably fix that too, but there haas to be a demand in order to justify this.
I was going to try this with a small disc of the stock RC4WD foam on the outer side to help with support and filling them out. Ready to order these whenever they are released.

Nate
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #33
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I received a set of the photo's foams . I threw them in my baja claws.

I had scale comp today, Other than driver error.. The tires performed great.

This in IMO but the foams need to be little stiffer, when side hilling the tires roll under themself's good amount. They also have that "squishy" feeling when you are feeling them up.
Perfect review Eric. Great feedback. You confirmed some of my early reservations and concerns. The only way to improve products and design to get honest constructive criticism.

With that said, you and I have already talked on the phone and you have my suggestions. And for the people who are watching this thread I need some feedback on your 1.9 wheels.

What is the Outside Diameter of your 1.9 scale wheels?
What is the width of your wheels?
Every manufacturer has a different O.D. and when you add stick on lead weight, the O.D. gets even taller. Please post up some dimensions so Crawler Innovations can better design / tune the foam from the get go. You can also email me this information to:

novasark@crawlerinnovations.com

To remedy the problems Eric and I have discussed;
1. A new inner and outer will be made.
2. They will be made wider.
3. 1.9 Tuning discs will be made as well to start to aid in custom tuning.

So I will not sell these to the general public until we get it right.

Eric, I need you to get me an exact weight of your scaler and please post a link to your build thread on it for me and everyone else reading this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
Eric, I think the claws could benefit from a wider wheel too. the claws are so wide and no matter the foam, if pinched narrow at the bead they don't have much choice but to fold over. Then again finding a wider 1.9 is pretty tough as you axial plastics are probably the widest out there.
Great call Cory. The scale wheels are all pretty narrow. I think Mayhem has the widest scale 1.9 wheels currently and they also have a nice flat O.D. to them as well. The problem with narrow wheels in both 1.9 and 2.2 is that they do not give a firm, wide, & flat foundation for the foam to work off of. When the wheels are narrow, everything just shifts from one side to the other.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Perfect review Eric. Great feedback. You confirmed some of my early reservations and concerns. The only way to improve products and design to get honest constructive criticism.

With that said, you and I have already talked on the phone and you have my suggestions. And for the people who are watching this thread I need some feedback on your 1.9 wheels.

Every manufacturer has a different O.D. and when you add stick on lead weight, the O.D. gets even taller. Please post up some dimensions so Crawler Innovations can better design / tune the foam from the get go. You can also email me this information to:

Eric, I need you to get me an exact weight of your scaler and please post a link to your build thread on it for me and everyone else reading this thread.

Great call Cory. The scale wheels are all pretty narrow. I think Mayhem has the widest scale 1.9 wheels currently and they also have a nice flat O.D. to them as well. The problem with narrow wheels in both 1.9 and 2.2 is that they do not give a firm, wide, & flat foundation for the foam to work off of. When the wheels are narrow, everything just shifts from one side to the other.
Mine are so tall (with weights) I couldn't use the firm foam. I'm using the CAC 12 hole 1.9's. They have a smooth outer diameter, but with 2 full wraps of lead weight. I haven't measured them but the Outer Diameter is probably just shy of 2.5"
Let me know if you need any more info. I haven't been able to test because of all the snow....
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #35
~THE SCALE SHOP~

TSS 1.9 beadlocks OD= 2.2"
(w/o any stick-on weights)

.7" wide w/o rings
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #36
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:

Eddie here my build. I will get RTR weight tomm.
eric113's honcho flatbed now with portals

I weight my rig today and came in 7lbs.

Last edited by eric113; 02-01-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Rc4wd Tango down beadlocks 2.9" OD with 4oz stick on weight, .65 width
Running the boggers with roklox foam in the front and that helped the tires conform better and still supported the sidewall

Last edited by AkFordfan; 02-02-2011 at 10:30 PM.
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Axial 1.9's
2.25" O.D.
.75" width.
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #39
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I am sorry but there are no updates to report yet. I am still waiting for Eric to test these tires with the second foam set up. The first set up was too soft for his 7-8 pound truck. The other two sets of the first version pictured haven't been properly tested to my knowledge. So I am moving on to new testers that are a little more active on the forum and the rocks. They have more experience testing proto type products. Once we have something positive to report you'll know.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #40
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
I am sorry but there are no updates to report yet. I am still waiting for Eric to test these tires with the second foam set up. The first set up was too soft for his 7-8 pound truck. The other two sets of the first version pictured haven't been properly tested to my knowledge. So I am moving on to new testers that are a little more active on the forum and the rocks. They have more experience testing proto type products. Once we have something positive to report you'll know.
I will be testing these today and Thursday Friday and possible Saturday.