Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Lightest 2.2 beadlocks currently available...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Lightest 2.2 beadlocks currently available...

VP's SLW V4's come in at 1.9 oz, 1" wide, aluminum. not sure if that's including hubs and rings. Maybe someone could clarify that.
BWD Delrin Vertex wheels come in at 1.8 oz, .75" wide, includes hardware and rings.
Are there any other manufacturers producing light wheel options like these two?
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

proline epics 2.2/2.2
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Everything I just read about the epics said they suck for crawling.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'd guess the stock LCC or LNC wheels....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The Mayhem Evo in delrin weighs about 2.2oz they have a bit more hardware than the rest of the wheels due to the adjustability of the wheel, hence the heavier weight. But there are ways to lighten them more.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
My stock LCC wheels w/ hardware and rings are 1.6oz. I have been running them on my Bully for about 7 months and they are starting to crack all over the place. I am scared they are just going to snap off sooner or later Just put in an order on some SLW v2's. I wanted the V4's but i hear they bend kinda easy? I have noticed some wobbly V4's and V3's at comps but i have never noticed any bent V1's or V2's.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah....not sure I'd run those on a heavy truck....but if it's lighter, then they should last. Heck, I broke at least two wheels that I remember on my Bully...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah I ran them hard for around 9 months and never broke a wheel. I'd say they are a viable option but I want alot of room for knuckle weight.

I think we could include the XR wheels too. I will unmount a tire tonight and post up a weight for them. I love the 3 piece design, takes all the hassle out of changing foams and tires. I wish other companies use the 3 piece method on their wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
The Mayhem Evo in delrin weighs about 2.2oz they have a bit more hardware than the rest of the wheels due to the adjustability of the wheel, hence the heavier weight. But there are ways to lighten them more.
I'll have to check them out. Sounds like you could leave out half the hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
I wanted the V4's but i hear they bend kinda easy? I have noticed some wobbly V4's and V3's at comps but i have never noticed any bent V1's or V2's.
Would like to hear more about this, I've read several threads about SLWs and they usually mention somebody bending one, but it involves weighting the wheels, and I haven't seen where one version was stronger than the rest.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post

4 Beadlock screws per side, 5 screws to hold the spoke section on and 6 screws for the hub. 19- 3X10mm screws total, maybe they are 3x8mm, cant remember.

There is a bit of beef in the hoop area of the wheel to machine out. I'm very confident that I can get mine down to around 1.9oz with all hardware and hub.

Heres a link for ya in case you haven't checked em out yet. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296505

Last edited by jcboof; 02-15-2011 at 03:33 PM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah I ran them hard for around 9 months and never broke a wheel. I'd say they are a viable option but I want alot of room for knuckle weight.

I think we could include the XR wheels too. I will unmount a tire tonight and post up a weight for them. I love the 3 piece design, takes all the hassle out of changing foams and tires. I wish other companies use the 3 piece method on their wheels.

Would like to hear more about this, I've read several threads about SLWs and they usually mention somebody bending one, but it involves weighting the wheels, and I haven't seen where one version was stronger than the rest.
Stock wheel 1.9oz

clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Junfac / G-made Mudrocks would be damned close to the lightest. Pretty good wheel, too. They hold the beads quite well.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The Eritex Ultralight Aluminum magnums are 1.5oz w/ standard hardware.
Depending on the hubs, the Charlottes are just under and just over 2.0oz. using standard hardware. you reduce the weight by using Ti screws.
They are also 1" wide. You get lighter using a .750 wheel.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Clark- thanks for saving me the trouble!

Badmutha- I was looking at the mudrocks a few months ago, heard good things about them then also. Aren't they discontinued now?
Got a weight for them?

Krakker- wasn't aware of the Eritex ultra lights. Thought they were all heavies. Will have to check those out too.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Krakker- wasn't aware of the Eritex ultra lights. Thought they were all heavies. Will have to check those out too.
I had previously run his comp heavies up front. Even though they were delrin I still had to add a little weight to get them where I needed them to be. I also ran the Dirty dozens and the magnums out back since they were the lightest wheels I could find with out being plastic glue on style ones.
Gerames new Ultralight series wheels are top notch and built with strength in mind. I'd rather have a few extra oz. in the wheels and grind away something else personally.
The .750 wide delrin magnums were the lightest wheels I used in the back with out being too light.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Verified that a SLW V2, .700 wide with a .475 hub is 1.9oz. Guessing a 1.00 wide would be a bit more.

The LNC has to be the lightest I have found. Not going to help you on the front with weights though. For the back they are a good option. 27g + 11g rings =38g = 1.34 oz

Food for thought.... Sedonas are pretty heavy, boss claws in the middle and Rovers are light.

Edit:

Looks like if I had somebody that could make me some delrin rings for my SLW's I might be in around the same weight as the LNC wheels. Anybody?

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 02-16-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
proline epics 2.2/2.2
What's the difference between the front and rear models? Offset?
I want a rim with a single sided beadlock like the Xr10 wheels, but with the correct offset so i don't need wideners to run them on AX axles

Quote:
Everything I just read about the epics said they suck for crawling.
What's wrongwith them? They lose the bead?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
What's the difference between the front and rear models? Offset?
What's wrongwith them? They lose the bead?
Yeah, the only difference is the offset.
And yes, the throw beads like no tomorrow.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah....not sure I'd run those on a heavy truck....but if it's lighter, then they should last. Heck, I broke at least two wheels that I remember on my Bully...
My Bully is lighter than my LCC was. I run my Bully between 5.4 - 5.6 lbs and my LCC was right around 6 lbs. I think it is because the MOA puts so much more torque to the hex than the worm gears ever could.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:

I don't want to make the VP groupies mad but from the rigs with V3's and V4's it seems that a lot of them have at least one wobbly wheel. Not all of them but quite a few. I would think it is because the spokes are thinner? The spokes on the V3's are super thin and the V4's have a very thin section where the circles get closest. The spokes on the V1's and V2's look to be a little thicker and maybe it is just enough to keep them from bending? Or maybe i am totally off base and it is just that there are more V1's and V2's but i don't notice them?

That being said i think they have the best attention to detail and are a notch above any other RC wheel available.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #20
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Forgot to mention...

I am running V2 and V4 wheels. I was concerned about the bending issue too but I have not had a problem. However, I have zero weight in the wheels.

I have taken one 20' vertical drop and tumbled 30' down another.

No problems with my LNC/LCC wheels after those falls.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote