Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: *** proline flat irons to cut or not to cut you tell me ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default *** proline flat irons to cut or not to cut you tell me ***

A buddy of mine just bought a tuber ax10 with a set of 2.2 flat irons I know they are not the best for this kind of rig but would like to help him out and make them better so would cutting a star help or any ideas or advice thanks in advance
Cmace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I know the best bet would be to get some rovers but he just got the truck and trying not to start throwing money at it...........yet
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
RCC Addict

FlatIrons can be amazing straight outta the package, with a little work they are even better. You dont NEED any other tire, but there are taller, more aggressive tires out there that you may want. To get good bite outta the Irons you can go easy and cut every other row of lugs out or you can have some fun and cut them in a vast array of different ways. I like makin mine look like a swamper style tire and they work really well. The stock memory foams are good left alone, dual stages are even better but not needed.
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I see alot of the scale guys love them but I didn't know how they would fair on a competition type vehicle
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't consider my self an expert on tires, but I have the flat-irons so I'll chime in.

IMHO They aren't a bad tire, just not a tall or super-sticky one. They look great on a realistic body shell.
I've got a shallow star-cut on the foams (only 1/2 the depth of the foam) and a fair bit of wheel weight (don't remember how much, sorry).

Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

the more miles you put on the flatirons the better they are and a pretty good amount of weight really makes them shine,
I have been running the same set for about a year & half and am always happy with their performance except in any kind of muddy or somewhat muddy terrain.
fyi I got the m2 compound and tires are uncut with stock uncut foam
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I also have a pair of these and no good in the mud or snow just cake up but as far as perfomance wise on the rocks they work well of course there are better tires out there but for back yard bashing should do just fine for now
bigheadandmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmace23 View Post
A buddy of mine just bought a tuber ax10 with a set of 2.2 flat irons I know they are not the best for this kind of rig but would like to help him out and make them better so would cutting a star help or any ideas or advice thanks in advance
If it's got memory foams in them, a star cut pattern will be a waste of time and a wate od some good memory forams.

Flat Irons are all about break in IMO. and 66sprint6 seems to be the authority on flat irons (so I've read)
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
If it's got memory foams in them, a star cut pattern will be a waste of time and a wate od some good memory forams.
star cutting any foam is a bad idea IMO i wasted a good set of Axial foams that where freekin awesome in Losi rock claws 3 years ago when i star cut them.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Flat Irons are all about break in IMO. and 66sprint6 seems to be the authority on flat irons (so I've read)
I appreciate that!!! Im no expert but I believe in em and have too many different kinds to count and every last one of em work just as well if not better than any other tire out. Leave the foams alone, add weight to the front wheels and then cut a couple of the lugs out. Break em in and they will clear out great, grip really well and be a good all around tire!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I don't need them to clean out we don't play in mud I got 5th scales for that lol
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I LOVE flat irons and the more they break in the better they get! Unless your trying to run a comp rig, then you may want to look into different tire. I run scaliers only, and I've run several type of scale tires and nobody can touch proline's g8 compound. Swampers and Flat Irons are both EXCELLENT tires

66Sprint6 is the Flat Irons expert! FO SHO!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Flat irons are a great tire and far better than other after market ones I have used. I have the original stockers still and rag the snot out of them. They are well broken in and I cut out every other row of lugs but left the center in tact. They perform just how I want them to that way.

The only other tires I see in my possible future for 1.9 are the pitbulls at this point.

I also have some RC4WD flashpoints and they are good but are not all around as well performing as my cut flat irons.

I was actually tearing up some sand pretty well yesterday with the FI's and doing some hill climbs I couldn't make with other tires.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I appreciate that!!! Im no expert but I believe in em and have too many different kinds to count and every last one of em work just as well if not better than any other tire out. Leave the foams alone, add weight to the front wheels and then cut a couple of the lugs out. Break em in and they will clear out great, grip really well and be a good all around tire!
Matt
Just for clarity, could you show us a pic of how you cut them please.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #15

Default Re: *** proline flat irons to cut or not to cut you tell me ***

its funny that they are a lot better once broken in quite a ways, as the real BFG Krawlers are waaay better once you get them down to half tread as well.

However, be careful cutting lugs off them if you are playing in dry rocks, as removing lugs will help them expel mud easier, but it also decreases your contact patch on the ground, and if you are on a drier surface, the additional friction of the additional rubber on the ground will help you out. One thing you can do is try siping them (like a real car tire). It increases leading edge biting surfaces and works good with some tires, but isn't that easy on rc crawler tires to get just right. good luck!
Skysthelimit is offline   Reply With Quote