Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 8" Super Rovers w/ Trencher Sidewalls by Crawler Innovations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default 8" Super Rovers w/ Trencher Sidewalls by Crawler Innovations

I know I am not the first person to have used Trencher sidewalls on a custom tire build, but this is Crawler Innovations first time using them. I had a pair of customers wanting 8" Rovers and they insisted on Pro-Line Trencher sidewalls. I sure am glad they did. These tires are very nice to work with. So nice that Crawler Innovations will be stocking these tires in the web store later this week.

For those that do not know, the Moab XL has been officially discontinued for several months now and the Trencher is it's replacement. I had built up a stock of Moab XL's in anticipation of it, but I think it was unnecessary. The Trencher sidewall is thicker and easier to glue. It's also made in a new M2 style compound which glues up very well. The G8 compound Moab XL's were very difficult to work with so I am very excited about these Trenchers.

On to the pictures:

8" Super Rover using 3 pairs of White Dot Hot Bodies Rovers and 2 pairs of Pro-Line Trenchers to make 1 set(4) of Super Class Competition Tires. For the purpose of pictures I mounted them on my narrowed Pro Line Tech 5 wheels narrowed to 1.5" overall and 1.25" bead to bead.

Here is a profile picture:

Back Side:

Unmounted these tires are 8" lug to lug in height. When mounted and under the weight of a crawler they are closer to 7.5" which is a great size tire for the USRCCA Super Class.

Here is the same wheel broken down. The Crawler Innovations 7.75" dual stage super foams have the inner foam narrowed to 2" in width since these will be mounted on narrowed wheels.

As usual, this tire was constructed using butt joints entirely. No overlapping joints anywhere.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

its like they were made for each other great work
txcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcrawl View Post
its like they were made for each other great work
I felt that way to as I was making them

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yes trenchers very easy to work with, look good eddie
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Daaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnngggggggg! That's a sexy tire, what would it take material wise to make up a 6" set?
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #6

Great work!! Always impressed with what you guys do with tires!! Was looking on the website but not finding these listed. How much for 4 tires and foams?? Can I use any 40 series bead lock wheel? Was thinking about narrowed Axial wheels. Any suggestions?? Looking to achieve exactly what you've got going, but with a beadlock wheel. Going on a Clod basher.
Santee Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
Daaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnngggggggg! That's a sexy tire, what would it take material wise to make up a 6" set?
Thank you.

6" Rovers take 5 Rover tires and 4 tires for sidewalls.

8" Rovers take 6 Rover tires and 4 tires for sidewalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santee Creeper View Post
Great work!! Always impressed with what you guys do with tires!! Was looking on the website but not finding these listed. How much for 4 tires and foams?? Can I use any 40 series bead lock wheel? Was thinking about narrowed Axial wheels. Any suggestions?? Looking to achieve exactly what you've got going, but with a beadlock wheel. Going on a Clod basher.
Thank you.

These are not listed on the website. I limit what I advertise on the web site when it comes to cut n shut tires because they are so time consuming. I may sell more custom tires if I listed them on my web site, but customers would get upset at the time frame to deliver them. So I limit my custom work now to only 5 orders at a time. When those five are done, the next people waiting in line are contacted and the next group of 5 is made.

These will fit a 40 series bead lock. I have not had good luck with the Axial bead locks. The hardware is much too small, and the plastic hexes strip easily. Narrowing them is a major pain as well. I recommend and sell the HPI 115mm Blast Wheel. Just spot glue your tires to the wheel and you are done. Time to remove the tires, just break the spot glue joint and they come right off, easy peasy.

As for prices, I have a detailed invoice breaking down each charge, so you know exactly what you are paying for. Since this is the tire and wheel section, it is not allowed to talk prices in here. I will contact you. Thank you for your interest.
- Eddie
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wow! Now that tire looks just plain MEAN!
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Those look really sweet man, good job. Just wondering though will you be selling these on your website? If so i am definately interested

Hittman
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote