Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations 1.9 IROK scale comp tire & Lil' Nova Foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Crawler Innovations 1.9 IROK scale comp tire & Lil' Nova Foams

Over the last two years Crawler Innovations was mostly focused on the USRCCA Competition scene. I have always been a scale fan and have built and owned many scalers over the years. I have a new project that I have been working on for my daughter and these tires and foams are for her Jeep.

I thought it would be nice to show how I set up a Class 2 SORCCA scale comp truck tire and foam.

Here we go:

To start with, I am using a Mayhem 1.9 aluminum wheel. Mayhem has good quality bead locks. A little too many screws for me and the 2mm hardware can suck at times, and they can take forever to get. But even with all that, Mayhem Scale wheels are one of my favorite brand scale bead locks. I had to add more weight to the front bead locks. I prefer to run one wrap of lead in the front, but this little jeep is top heavy and needs some extra help.

Because of the stick on lead weight, I am using a 2.2 inner. The 1.9 inner will not fit over the lead wrap with either removing material or stretching it to the point it rips. If you are running weight on your wheels, use the 2.2 inner. You will get better performance, longer life, and won't risk ripping the inner foam.

Here you can see the inner I.D. size difference:

Notice how you can see the bead lock groove with the 2.2 foam and you cannot with the 1.9 inner foam.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The first thing I do to all my RC4WD tires is belt sand them internally. This makes a huge difference in how the tire performs. On the left is the C.I. Modified tire and the stock RC4WD tire on the right:

Here is a close up of the belt sanded tire:

After I belt sand the tire internally, next is a dremel and cut off wheel. All the areas marked with the black line is where I cut. The outer lugs did not get the double cut on these tires because I am testing them this weekend to see if the single cut lug performs better. I already have some tires double cut, and they work awesome, but they wear much quicker. I go back with curved body scissors and remove half of the center lug making the tire into a somewhat paddle lug pattern:

Here is a side view of the tire:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Once the tire is modified, the bead lock weighted and vented (I drill two holes in the Mayhem wheel into a back side bead lock screw hole. That way if I am heading into a day of water play time, I can plug the vent and save the foams from the water. Water and Foams do not mix) it's time to get the foams ready.

Pictured below is the 4.25" - 4.50" Tall Lil' Nova Dual Stage Foams. They fit the IROK perfectly as well as the Rok Lox and other tires.

I am now making the outer in this size wider. They fill the tires better. I am using a 2.2 firm inner with soft outer in the front and a 2.2 firm inner with Medium outer in the rear.

Here is the foam on just the bead lock:

Here is the tire mounted and you can see the two vent holes for breathing:

Front view mounted:

Angled view to see the tread pattern better:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That is an awesome idea for the vent holes, ill have to keep that in mind

Do you think the Iroks lose any lateral stability with the center lugs like that? I would think that it would allow the tire to slide left & right on a ledge easier, but i could be totally wrong.
low_range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_range View Post
That is an awesome idea for the vent holes, ill have to keep that in mind

Do you think the Iroks lose any lateral stability with the center lugs like that? I would think that it would allow the tire to slide left & right on a ledge easier, but i could be totally wrong.
We have been running this same pattern on a set of RC4WD 1.9 Rok Lox for over a year and it has never been an issue. One reason is that the pattern is not straight across. The pattern is slightly angled or staggered which allows it to hold on a side hill.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Crawler Innovations 1.9 IROK scale comp tire & Lil' Nova Foams

I had a couple PM's about these tires so I thought I should update. I am still running these wheels are tires with good results. I have been using them to test closed cell foams for the Lil' Nova Dual Stage Line.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Moderator Rule Breaker

Default Re: Crawler Innovations 1.9 IROK scale comp tire & Lil' Nova Foams

What about taking every other side lugs off on both outter's and inner's.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote