Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Keeping air in tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Keeping air in tires

I am trying to find a way to keep air in my tires. I like the way they perform with just air in them. I know there was someone on here who made a way to inflate LST's. I have the Moab XL's on the narrow Cheyenne Bead-locs. I filled in the vent holes and tightened the loc rings down all the way, my problem is they still leak. My rear tires keep their air for a while, but the fronts loose their air in about 30 min. I thought it might be the extra weight of the battery causing this, so I took it out and let it sit, and they still lost air. I can't find a hole in the tires either. Does anyone have a solution.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #2

Default A solution for your problem

go to the bicycle store or walmart and buy green slime(the brand name is Slime) stuff. you put it in your tires and it will find the holes for you. Once it does a chemical reaction occurs when it reacts with the air, aka it plugs the hole and you can now hold air in your tires, it works wonders on atv's and bicycles...and it worked for my air filled tires (clodbuster rims and v treads)
BIGFOOT E-Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Sweet, how much of it do I put in each tire? How do I get it into the tire with out letting it touch air?

Last edited by TMXONR; 05-23-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Never thought of using Slime in RC tires. You could mabye make a hole in the wheel that you could plug after you have squirted it in. Squirt some in, roll the tire around a bit, and let it set up. See if that does it. If not, add some more. You don't want to fill it up too much, though.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #5

Thumbs up Amounts

The guy abov me is right, maybe fill the bottom half of the tire, if you pretend the @ sign is a tire, and the inner A is the rim, draw a line from the bottom of the rim across the bottom of the tire and fill it up, then you spin the tire around and the slime will coat the inside of the tire. Don't worry about the Slime hardening quickly like superglue, it takes time to seal, but when it does, it DOES and that hole is SEALED... I hope it works for you, and by the way how are you filling your tire with air, a basket ball valve, or a 1:1 wheel air valve?
BIGFOOT E-Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
MWRCA'er

Is it just me think or would Slime make the carcass stiffer. You know because of the extra sealant on the other side?

Shoe goo works get for sealing off wheel holes.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

I believe the Slime needs the air pressure from inside the tire to force it's way out the hole to be plugged.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think so too, but it might still plug the wholes, but not like it would on an 1:1. RCs dont weigh that much so if it plugs it barely it should hold!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGFOOT E-Maxx
and by the way how are you filling your tire with air, a basket ball valve, or a 1:1 wheel air valve?
I am using the Proline Bead locs, so I just sealed the holes, and put the loc rings on. I like the way the tire performs with no forced air in it, just what normally would be in the empty space, I have since drilled a hole in the rim, and tapped it and put a screw in it so i can take it out and let the tire naturally fill up, instead of having to take one of the loc rings off.

I haven't been able to get any slime yet, but thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by TMXONR; 05-26-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Tire Slime is NASTY stuff if you ever have to replace the tire!!! Just dunk the tire in a bucket of clear water and look for the bubbles.
CRAZYRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

yeah well i gave him this idea to use air filled tires becasue my red rocks performed nice with air in them instead of foams
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Have you tried a little bead of RTV around the beads? I would think this would seal the bead quite well, but if you have punctures in the tire itself, that's a different problem...
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Well I found out what the problem was, there was a verry micro size hole that i never woulda found but i was messing with the tires and found a couple in each, I put a drop of CA on the holes and it solved most of the problem. I haven't had time to get any Slime in the tires, I was gonna get some yesterday when I saw it at Home Depot, but forgot to pick it up.