Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Pitbull tires on rc4wd stamped steel wheels??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 1.9 Pitbull tires on rc4wd stamped steel wheels??

Has anyone done this? I wanna get some new wheels and tires but I'm not sure if they mount, like how the proline tires didn't, will I have to modify the wheel to fit the tires?
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I hope they work, I have some steelies coming in the mail. I tried mounting the 2.2 Pitbulls on Axial beadlocks and they pulled off easily (the rubber bead is thinner than the Proline tires I was using). The steelies are narrow, compared to the Pitbulls anyway, so I think I'll need a lot of foam trimming close to the bead.
Maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post
I hope they work, I have some steelies coming in the mail. I tried mounting the 2.2 Pitbulls on Axial beadlocks and they pulled off easily (the rubber bead is thinner than the Proline tires I was using). The steelies are narrow, compared to the Pitbulls anyway, so I think I'll need a lot of foam trimming close to the bead.
When you get them, lemme know how the install
Goes!!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I had no luck mounting them to my steelies, had to use my axial 8shooters. The bead on the wheel is too small to work on the steelies. If you could make a wider inner ring. I bet they would work. Some people have been tacking them on the rim with glue to get them to stay. I did not want to do that.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I got 2.2 Pitbulls on Axial beadlock wheels for my wraith now.
this is what I got with pitbull now.

it works fine...no issue so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post

Last edited by rcscaler; 11-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

how do the 1.9 pitbulls work thinking about buying some are they worth buying?
chevytrucks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevytrucks44 View Post
how do the 1.9 pitbulls work thinking about buying some are they worth buying?
they are AWSUMM,,,and yes..worth buying...
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmoon View Post
they are AWSUMM,,,and yes..worth buying...
I agree they are AWESOME tires. Still no luck getting them to mount on the Steelies. If they would mount up that would be great. Has anyone tried to make a wider inner piece? That would probally do the trick. They would sell like hotcakes because they would rock on steelies.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I agree they are AWESOME tires. Still no luck getting them to mount on the Steelies. If they would mount up that would be great. Has anyone tried to make a wider inner piece? That would probally do the trick. They would sell like hotcakes because they would rock on steelies.
That's what I saw in another thread :o shoulda searched, I'm gonna try to cut some PVC or alum tube and see if they work, once I get the money to get new wheels and tires.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
C*H*U*D is making special spacers for the steelies that will help w/ the tire mounting issues. He has a thread going right now that's all about his new component.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Okay, I just got my steelies. I will try to mount them tonight or tomorrow, and post pics then. As I said, I tried mounting them on Axial rims and RC4WD aluminum beadlocks, and they pulled right out. I have 5 sets of white RC4 steelies now, just love em. The bead is tighter than any other wheel I have ever held in my hand, which is why I bought them for these tires. I have lots of RC4WD tires and the beads are thinner than Prolines, and these wheels hold them great. I know this is an OLD subject, with special pvc spacers needed and everything, but I've never read any of those threads. Proline and IMEX tires work on Axial rims, any "thinner-walled" tires work great on RC4WD steelies. As said, I have lots of em, and this has been my experience so far. OP these are the wheels I just got and with the nuts/bolts hand-tight there is only enough space left for 1 postcard to be inserted. I don't think the tires will pull out. I will have to trim the foams down, like I said, to make them thinner like these skinny rims. I'm fine with that. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Okay, first off I wanna appologize- I just realized you (OP) were talking about 1.9 Pittbulls/Steelies, and I'm working with 2.2's. That said, yeah they mount up fine. As I said, I went with the Steelies because they bite the bead very tightly, and 'cause I have many sets of them and like that I can swap tires/wheels quickly and keep the same look (wheels). I weighted and vented the inner rings the same as always, put some black paint on the inner-rim side, started with two extra-long screws, and pressed the upper side of the tire down onto the bead with a roll of masking tape. These WERE tricky-er than the other scale tires I've mounted, because they're so wide, but I got em. The last pic is a mounted tire next to an un-mounted one. The tread rounded slightly because of how much the beads pinched in together, but it's not bad. I think it turned out well, can't wait to try them out.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteadily View Post
Has anyone done this? I wanna get some new wheels and tires but I'm not sure if they mount, like how the proline tires didn't, will I have to modify the wheel to fit the tires?
The issue with them is that they are such a soft compound, it is hard to keep them in the internal lock ring of the steelies. To help with the install, try throwing the tires in the freezer for 15 - 20 minutes so that they get a little stiffer and stay in the bead ring. Another member here did that with his Pro10 stamped steel wheels and Pit Bull. Said it worked like a charm.

Last edited by R2j; 11-21-2011 at 10:53 AM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

On the note of the rc4wd steelies, I lost a nut and bolt wheelin' Any idea where I can get spares?

And for the 1.9 pitbull tires, I've also ordered a set and was going to put them on my axial 8 shooters, but now reading that they keep coming off.. any other recomended rims for the 1.9 pitbulls?
jhedsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Oliver Custom Knives

I'm running the 1.9 Pitbulls on VP SSZ wheels ,no problems here.
AND
Pit Bulls are the best scale tire PERIOD.
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaneO View Post
Pit Bulls are the best scale tire PERIOD.
Best scale tire.. SO FAR lol
jhedsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedsy View Post
any other recomended rims for the 1.9 pitbulls?
I have mine mounted on a set of RC4WD aluminum beadlocks and on a set of C.A.C wheels...both sets hold beads like crazy..not a single issue
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Got mine mounted on TSS trail ready beadlocks. Super strong bead lock and pretty easy to mount as well.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
C*H*U*D is making special spacers for the steelies that will help w/ the tire mounting issues. He has a thread going right now that's all about his new component.
The 2.2's started shipping this morning, and I'll be making 1.9's as well. I just ordered a set of the 1.9 Pitbulls for testing, and Jason said he had a set of the Swampers for me too...I just need to hook up with him.

This is my favorite scale wheel, so I'm very anxious to make them work easier as well.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
Got mine mounted on TSS trail ready beadlocks. Super strong bead lock and pretty easy to mount as well.
thanks! two things i always enjoyed about my wheels
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote