Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire choice help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Smile Tire choice help please!

In need of a bit of help here. I'm just building up a Honcho kit, and trying to decide which tyres to put on it. I have Flat Irons, but from the searches I've done, and what I've read I'm not sure they're suitable, plus I'm not a big fan of how they look.

I'm going to be driving mainly in the woods, which during winter are always wet. There isn't a huge amount of rock, but what there is, is normally shiney and slippery. They'll also be wet roots and stones, loose dirt and a bit of mud and leaf mulch that kind of terrain.

What do you guys recommend? I was looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws TTC, or the Proline TSL Super Swampers. But I am really open to suggestions. Should I even try the Flat Irons?? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Ooops, forgot to say they need to be 1.9's, and they must work well on road too! (joke)

Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 12-01-2011 at 01:25 AM.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
THW
Rock Stacker

Cant go wrong with the Swampers, good all around tire.
THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Swampers or pitbulls maybe.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

1.9 roc lox or Pitbulls worked great for me.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

If you have the Flatirons, then definitely try them. They are a bit on the short side, but in certain situations they work better than Rok Lox. Personally, I like a taller tire like the Rok Lox, and that's what's on my truck currently. I just got in a new set of Pitbulls though, and can't wait to mount them up and run them.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'd say try the Flat Irons and see what you think. You can also try cutting some of the lugs out to get better grip. I personally didn't like them, both for the size and the looks. I have yet to cut a set, but I still may do that just for fun.

I have ran the RC4WD Rok Lox and really liked the looks and the size. They seemed to grip better than the Flat Irons. I still have a set and would recommend them. But, I'd buy the newer version - RC4WD Irok instead of the Rok Lox.

I currently run the RC4WD Baja Claws. I really like this tire, both for the size and looks. They do well on rocks and terrain I run. I run the Honcho kit also. I made some adjustments to the shocks and suspension to keep the tires from rubbing the body because I didn't want to start cutting on it. However, I cannot comment on the wet traction of any tire because I haven't run in wet conditions...yet.

With all that being said, if size is not an issue, buy the Pit Bull Rock Beasts. From all I have read, those are the best overall performing tire available.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

Pit Bulls.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Pitbulls by far the best, but are you looking for a tire that will fit on the stock axial rims? I'd recommend the ProLine swampers then. I couldn't get the PB's thin bead to stay in the Axial rims' bead-groove (pulled out easily).
Maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post
Pitbulls by far the best, but are you looking for a tire that will fit on the stock axial rims? I'd recommend the ProLine swampers then. I couldn't get the PB's thin bead to stay in the Axial rims' bead-groove (pulled out easily).
1.9's? I mounted them on stock Axials and they seemed ok. I didn't however run them. I know the 2.2's have issues.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Pitbulls or proline TSL's with the performance edge to the Pitbulls. I have both, love both, but the Pitbulls are the best. The downside is the pitbull is a wider tire and doesn't look right on all rigs, however, on the honcho, they should look awesome.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post
Max you are talking about the 2.2 again. The 1.9 Pitbulls mount up great to the Axial wheels.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I run a cut and shut 5 inch Tsl. Has the wide tread of the 2.2 tire with the sidewall made to fit a 1.9.
You can see them on the left next to a 4.5 inch flat iron.They are much wider and handle trail riding/mud excellent.
jessejoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
RCC Addict

im running 2.2 tsl's on my honcho, but the tire itself is awesome doesnt matter what size. i love my tsl's sure glad i made that choice.. they dont pack up with mud,dirt and snow like some tires do... if they do give the throttle a little blip and they clean out even with a 55t motor.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I think the tire I am most happy with for that type of terrain is the 1.9 Boggers. I have run those, Flat Irons, Roklox, MT Claws all in 1.9. The Boggers just work very well on everything. They are not bad at anything and even pretty good on rocks for me. I run that type of mixed terrain mostlly as well. I like the looks of the Claws the best, but they do not have the overall grip the Boggers do when it gets slick and muddy. They are still pretty good on that But the Boggers are better overall. The Mickeys are only better on Rocks then the Boggers (dry) but not quite on all other conditions. I think out of the ones I listed, the Flat Irons are pretty good if not the overall best grip on smoother dry rock. And the Rok Lox never worked good for me on anything. The Flat Irons do work good if you need a smaller tire, but the clearance of the others listed really can help in the woods.

All rigs are different and what works on one may not on another. But my vote overall is for the Boggers. I have not tried the Pits in 1.9 but do hear they work well. I just have not run with them on anyones rig. I used the soft RipSaws in 2.2 in a TTC 2 weeks ago and they are pretty good over all as well. This was on a Honcho but it is a 2.2 rig that is heavy and fairly moddified.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

This forum rocks Thanks for all the replies, really grateful for the detailed info. Just added up all of the suggestions to see which tire came out on top. If the tire got a positive comment I gave it a point.

PL TSL Swampers 5
Pit Bull Rock Beast 7
Mickey Thompsons 1
Rok Lox 3
RC4WD IROK 1
try Flat Irons. 2

Jessejoe: Thanks for the pic of your cut n shuts. They look great. Unfortunately I wouldn't trust my self to cut up new tyres

Rock82: Thanks for your info. Can you just confirm which tyres your talking about? Are you talking about Mud Slingers?

So far it looks like Pit Bull Rock Beasts are favorite with PL TSL's a close second.

More suggestions welcome. Please
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx View Post
So far it looks like Pit Bull Rock Beasts are favorite with PL TSL's a close second.

More suggestions welcome. Please
The PL TSL's were #1 until the Pit Bulls showed up.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Pitbulls or PL tsl's unless you want to go to 2.2 then either of those or the r35 ripsaws. I have run all three of them and they are all pretty close to performance but I would say in 1.9 or 2.2 the pitbulls do better then the 2.2 the pitbulls then the r35 ripsaws and Pl tsl's are pretty close to each other.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
RCC Addict

No it is actually the RC4WD Interco Boggers.

RC4WD 1.9" Super Swamper TSL/Bogger (2)

Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Here are some pics mounted.
1.9 Rok Lox

1.9 Pitbull Rock Beasts
Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
NJK
Quarry Creeper

I thing the proline tsls and the rc4wd tsl boggers would bee good i never did run the pit bulls but every one says its a good tire.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote