Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: ~~ Stormin's Test Set of 2.2 Dlux Wheels ~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ~~ Stormin's Test Set of 2.2 Dlux Wheels ~~

Just got a set of the new Dlux light weigh wheels to abuse and play with. I chose the acrylic wheel disks for that invisible look.

They are paint able and vendors will be offering wheel disc's to dress up your rig.

Right now I'm kind of digging the invisible look.

The experience is immediately different mounting takes a minute or two to see how get the job done. Mounting was easy all the parts are nicely machined and fit well mounting was a breeze. This wheel design cuts a ounce from my Sport truck it now sits at 4 lbs 8 oz. not to bad a ounce in a single component is incredible.

The wheels mounted have a real different look, the photo's don't do Justis to how different my Sporty rig looks, the wheels are basically gone,they don't play a visual role at all.

I noticed that foam rebound is very quick due to the open design exposing the foams. One kind of cool thing is on a day when the weather is wet or cold and you'd like a little more tire weight you can add a bunch by simply wetting down those foams. Sure that's not a science but it would defiantly work.

I haven't had the chance to play on the rock yet so we'll see how the hold up to some abuse very soon.

So far these wheels look very good and are a step in a new direction for wheels.

These are Erik Dlux's design skills jumping out of the normal box, nice work Erik.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a hard tumble could break the wheel center? I bet 1/8 CF would look cool instead of the acrylic..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Norm they look good.

I don't see an issues with the acrylic that stuff is pretty strong.

So my question is what hubs you running front and rear, and what is your outside measurement front and rear?

I'm thinking my sporty rig needs a set of these too.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Thanks for posting up and giving a review Norm! Car looks great!

For everybody else,... these should be coming out really soon.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Looks like a hard tumble could break the wheel center? I bet 1/8 CF would look cool instead of the acrylic..
Lots of people are testing these now with zero failures. I personally have taken a lot of good tumbles and I am sure others have also.

I am actually thinking that the poly carb faces are stronger than the delrin ones. The poly carb is just such a hard material. Carbon fiber would be cool but to get any benefit you would have to run 1/16 thick faces and when they are that thin you cant counter sink the bead lock screws.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
If anyone can break them I can, it's tough stuff and I got to say the no wheel look is pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
Norm they look good.

I don't see an issues with the acrylic that stuff is pretty strong.

So my question is what hubs you running front and rear, and what is your outside measurement front and rear?

I'm thinking my sporty rig needs a set of these too.
I'm 10 3/4" front on 850 hubs wheels are 1 1/4" wide, overall 10 1/4" rear on 725 hubs also on 1 1/4 wheels

Those are Hater Aid tires I have mounted and they are tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Thanks for posting up and giving a review Norm! Car looks great!

For everybody else,... these should be coming out really soon.
Your welcome it was my pleasure.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks Norm. Now I just have to get my hands on a set of these.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
am actually thinking that the poly carb faces are stronger than the delrin ones. The poly carb is just such a hard material.
Glad you chose the Polycarb...I really don't see a chance of these breaking even as much as aluminum wheels bend.

Want my set....like now.

Last edited by binaryterror; 12-10-2011 at 09:10 PM.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm ready for a set too... Awesome rims!
superduty03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Just pulling some info in from our PM's. Norm needs a touch wider stance in order to clear his steering with the slightly wider wheels.

Some of the options are:
CDW 1/16 hub spacers
CDW 1/8 hub spacers
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...p-hubs***.html

or, I will be making similar hub spacers that are 1/4" thick. If you decide to use the 1/4 spacer that would put you really close (touch less than a 1/16") to what an SLW with the same hub would give.

These options will be really important for those who run narrow axles and need them wider (AX10, LCC, Bully etc,.)

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 12-10-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just pulling some info in from our PM's. Norm needs a touch wider stance in order to clear his steering with the slightly wider wheels.

Some of the options are:
CDW 1/16 hub spacers
CDW 1/8 hub spacers

or, I will be making similar hub spacers that are 1/4" thick. If you decide to use the 1/4 spacer that would put you really close (touch less than a 1/16") to what an SLW with the same hub would give.

These options will be really important for those who run narrow axles and need them wider (AX10, LCC, Bully etc,.)
Thats good to know.

I will be getting a set when they are available. I will be running them on ax10 axles. Front with long beef toobs so its xr10 width. I am trying to figure out how to get the same width I have now. My xr is 11-1/4 wide. Then I want to get the stock rear ax10 axle to 10-3/4 wide. Any help to get the right hubs would be great.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Some of the options are:
CDW 1/16 hub spacers
CDW 1/8 hub spacers

What Erik is talking about in my case could be solved with a narrower wheel but I'm trying to use a wide wheel. You can see I'm tight to the screws on the inside bead.

A set of CDW spacers will solve my this clearance problem.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 12-21-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

They look awesome, I am really liking the look of the clear face. I cant wait to see some of the inside skins that will be coming out for these.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
What Erik is talking about in my case could be solved with a narrower wheel but I'm trying to use a wide wheel. You can see I'm tight to the screws on the inside bead.

A set of CDW spacers will solve my this clearance problem.

Ya I see what you mean. I still am trying to figure out what hubs I need. I'm liking the xr super wide, so I would like to run the shafty the same.

I would like a .7 or .8 wide wheel. What your using is too wide for what I'm looking for.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
Ya I see what you mean. I still am trying to figure out what hubs I need. I'm liking the xr super wide, so I would like to run the shafty the same.

I would like a .7 or .8 wide wheel. What your using is too wide for what I'm looking for.
Yeah, my wheel width is all about the tires and foam combo I run, not to tall with wide wheels. I'll be running my same tire and foam combination on both trucks Sporty and XR, cut and shut Haters with CI foams it's a set up that doesn't work well with narrow wheels.

I'll also be running both trucks at the same width.

If you have any VP SLW wheels the Dlux wheels will be 1/8" narrower than the SLW using the same hub, does that help Mike?

Last edited by Stormin2u; 12-11-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Glad you chose the Polycarb...I really don't see a chance of these breaking even as much as aluminum wheels bend.

Want my set....like now.
I think your right these should be stonger than aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty03 View Post
I'm ready for a set too... Awesome rims!
My tire mounting got better with each wheel, it's just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
They look awesome, I am really liking the look of the clear face. I cant wait to see some of the inside skins that will be coming out for these.
Krawler Koncepts should have a thread really soon for her famous inside skins for these, it will be good. Although the clear look does grow on you.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Lots of people are testing these now with zero failures. I personally have taken a lot of good tumbles and I am sure others have also.

I am actually thinking that the poly carb faces are stronger than the delrin ones. The poly carb is just such a hard material. Carbon fiber would be cool but to get any benefit you would have to run 1/16 thick faces and when they are that thin you cant counter sink the bead lock screws.

I am loving my clear faces and have zero issues with them and i only run 3 screws in the hub. I have had some good falls too. But i have seen a couple of the other guys around with them beat the living crap out of them and they are still holding up so my testing hasn't been as thorough as theirs
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah, my wheel width is all about the tires and foam combo I run, not to tall with wide wheels. I'll be running my same tire and foam combination on both trucks Sporty and XR, cut and shut Haters with CI foams it's a set up that doesn't work well with narrow wheels.

I'll also be running both trucks at the same width.

If you have any VP SLW wheels the Dlux wheels will be 1/18" narrower than the SLW using the same hub, does that help Mike?

Bingo, that's the info I was looking for.. So I will need 475 slw hubs for the front and 850 hubs for the rear. I have the 475's so looks like I will be ordering the 850's

Thanks Norm, and ya I currently have 3 sets of slw's and a mess of hubs just nothing bigger than 600 currently.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Mike, I said 1/18" in my original post which I have now changed. I meant to inform you they are 1/8" narrower sorry bud.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Mike, I said 1/18" in my original post which I have now changed. I meant to inform you they are 1/8" narrower sorry bud.
The difference from an SLW to my wheels with the exact same hub would be .300 per side or .600 overall, over 1/2" (.500).

If you run my 1/4" CDW style spacer you will be really close to where an SLW would be with the same hub. You would be .040 less per side or .080 over all, just over 1/16" of an inch (.060).