Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Help! I wanna do a scale build, help me im a n00b :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #1

Question Help! I wanna do a scale build, help me im a n00b :)

Whats up guys? Just went and bought a Redcat RS10 xt crawler because it was cheap and i thought it would be a good buy, i love the look of scale crawlers, but i still want it to be really flexible, so im thinking ill buy a body with the same wheelbase as my truck, 312-317mm (12.2-12.4inches) and figure out how to mount it to the stock chassis? What are your opinions? and also, tires and wheels? I'd like to go with the Super Swamper TSL's (https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/interco...c18adc1ce2fb6a)

Do you guys think i should run 1.9" wheels or 2.2"? Im not 100% sure like i said im a noob.
my truck is 1/10th scale.
Thanks everyone!
crawlin570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help! I wanna do a scale build, help me im a n00b :)

i would post pics if you want some replies.photobucket is your friend.
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Just do some research here. My OP is this . I see a lot of so-called "scalers" with the front-tire pearched on a beer-can......Not scale............even @ 2.2 not scale, on a tube-crawler, maybe ,but not a hard.
Tamiya hard-body Hilux's on 2.2's, again ,not scale. That would be like running a 1:1 with 60's, yes It can be done 1:1, but...... Just depends on what your definition of scale is.
Seems the definition of "scale" has run-away these days.......
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i know my screen name is redcatguy but i would drop that rig and run. its not a bad rig to get into the hobby with but they fall apart and the guys on here that run them put a ton of time into them because there still really arent any parts for them. redcat is moa and those really arent scale axles. dont get me wrong man glad you got into the hobby and all but i would personally try to start with a better platform. if i could go back and get a different rig off the start i sure would. but its ur rig if you want to go scale with it do it up. and flex isnt all there is in crawlers i run limiters in most of my rigs now.

like i said man do wat you want but i would get a better starting point then a redcat.
redcatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

this will be a bad start, soon as you set it next to any axial, stock or highly modified you will be disappointed either way your gonna have alotta fun
nuggsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
Just do some research here. My OP is this . I see a lot of so-called "scalers" with the front-tire pearched on a beer-can......Not scale............even @ 2.2 not scale, on a tube-crawler, maybe ,but not a hard.
Tamiya hard-body Hilux's on 2.2's, again ,not scale. That would be like running a 1:1 with 60's, yes It can be done 1:1, but...... Just depends on what your definition of scale is.
First off scale is anything that is possible in real life and whats a can 5"-5.5"? My crawler can flex about 40" and my buddy's rig can flex more, it can flex on a 54" baja claw ttc! And running a tamiya hardboddy on 2.2's is not like running 60" tires at all most 2.2 tires are 5"-5.5" so 50"-55". And since when are you the one who decides what scale is? Where is your "scale" crawler that is true to scale in every way? I see you have a few but are they completely scale in every way? And to back up what I'm saying here are a few pictures and next time know your facts before you make such a closed minded statement.
Attached Images

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 12-30-2011 at 07:40 PM.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
then what do you call a 1.9 hilux hard body that can put one wheel on a paint can?

i call it my TTC inspired hilux and i do consider it scale
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'b debated this may times. scale craler is just a label stuck on there to deliniate a growning trend of hobbyists who are dedocated tp RC trick made to travel through ":crawling terain" and look like real trucks... I don't think we'll evey agree what the those lines of delinieation but.... lets just hope we get to play with a lot whilst figuring out this great delimma.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
I'b debated this may times. scale craler is just a label stuck on there to deliniate a growning trend of hobbyists who are dedocated tp RC trick made to travel through ":crawling terain" and look like real trucks... I don't think we'll evey agree what the those lines of delinieation but.... lets just hope we get to play with a lot whilst figuring out this great delimma.
Completely agree! After all the hobby is about fun, and at one point or another we all forget that and get a lil testy, so I'm sorry ridepate I was just trying to make a point lol

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 12-31-2011 at 12:18 PM.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Completely agree! After all the hobby is about fun, and at one point or another we all forget that and get a lil testy, so I'm sorry ridepate I was just trying to make a point lol
No worries man...I'm a little twisted at times too. My current 1:1--- Not quite as expensive as D-60's and ARB's but............

ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote

Help! I wanna do a scale build, help me im a n00b :) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After review many thread about the 1:6 scale willy jeep, I wanna to build one also ice_sonic Large Scale Rigs 5 04-15-2010 05:45 AM
wanna build a scale crawler punishermustang General Scale Talk 1 03-12-2010 07:27 AM
n00b question about the comp build up... The Modfather Newbie General 6 06-04-2008 01:50 PM
Rancid's n00b WK Build Rancid HPI Wheely King 7 06-08-2007 12:30 PM