Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Rovers - Which direction you running in?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Rovers - Which direction you running in?

I have tried them in both directions and can't tell a difference in the area I'm running.

Has anyone found that they perform better in one direction than the other?

I run mine with the center V facing the rear of the truck.

mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

I run mine the same as you do. I just thought of the "V" like a chevron and ran it backwards. I wouldn't think it matters, just what I do with mine.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I ran mine the same way at first. One of the guys in the club asked why I have them on backwards. I said I thought that was how they should be. Well I was trying a really hard climb that was near vert and I kept rolling back off of it. The front just didn't seem to bite. I turned the fronts around with the v facing forward and bam the thing walked right up the climb. It seemed to perform better overall too. I still run the backs the other way though which seems to help the rear get less traction and the front to bite better. So as to which way they are supposed to be ran I don't know but I know what works for me so I'll stick to the v forward on the front and backward on the rear.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Hmmm, might have to experiment.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I will have to flip them around and do more testing.

It could be that I'm used to my practice area, but I can make everything pretty well so it didn't seem to matter which way they were.

I've also gone to a different weight setup in the wheels...running same weight in all tires so I can rotate them for better wear.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmstEvil665 View Post
I ran mine the same way at first. One of the guys in the club asked why I have them on backwards. I said I thought that was how they should be. Well I was trying a really hard climb that was near vert and I kept rolling back off of it. The front just didn't seem to bite. I turned the fronts around with the v facing forward and bam the thing walked right up the climb. It seemed to perform better overall too. I still run the backs the other way though which seems to help the rear get less traction and the front to bite better. So as to which way they are supposed to be ran I don't know but I know what works for me so I'll stick to the v forward on the front and backward on the rear.

how broken in were they when you did that.

i run all 4 V-forward with success
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The V forward works better for me. Not sure why. My friend runs his backwards and he loves them that way and they work awsome for him. But we have different driving styles and setups.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Old guy

I've tried it both ways when the tire was fresh and it didn't make a differents. Now after you have ran them awhile one way and then turn them around ,you might get some more traction cause the leading edge is more square maybe.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Now after you have ran them awhile one way and then turn them around ,you might get some more traction cause the leading edge is more square maybe.
I was thinking the same thing.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
Keep it real

I run mine this way, and they are starting to really hook now

Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
how broken in were they when you did that.

i run all 4 V-forward with success
Um they were broken in pretty good. Porbably 10 practices and 3 comps on them. they didn't work as well when they were new. I just got new Vanquish wheels and rotated them but haven't tested them yet. I am running NWTT Hybrid reaches front and rear. Soft in the front hard in the rear. Seems to work well for me. It just seems the tire grips better with the v facing forward. The only reason i run the rears the other way is so they don't grip as good and I don't get to much traction and loop out. I dunno whats gonna happen now that the tires are rotated but thats what I used to do on my quad with Holeshots to keep them squared off. I haven't tested it yet but will this weekend. I have been having dig issues and am thinking I should have stuck with the DNA but thats a whole nother story. Anywho the way i run them is kind of personal preference and it works for me. I tried Chissels with the same foam setup and couldn't even make the line I tried with the Rovers. Maybe with some foam tuning they would work better but I'm sick of buying foams. My next setup might be med Rovers in the rear with softs in the front and Proline dual stage memory's all the way around. Everyone tunes foams and I like more grip in the front then the rear so I'm gonna try that out next to see what happens. I mean heck Rovers are only 12 bucks now lol.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I went with the best of both worlds, 2 one direction and 2 the other direction.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #13

There's an art to it! Some believe that running the passenger's side rear forward and the rest backward is the ticket.

While others completely disagree and prefer running the driver's side rear forward and the rest backward.

I personally prefer to alternate and run the front ones either way every other day...
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I just got a set of these. I'll have to try them in different ways. I never thought it would really make that much difference.
the02stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I run mine this way, and they are starting to really hook now

I like them this direction as well.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I like it this way.

Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote