Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: anyone else run thier tires with no foams?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: anyone else run thier tires with no foams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
You know the worlds favorite RC youtube personality runs foamless. sealed, inflatable tires.

I do . Love it. No more wet foams is a good thing. And aired tires work better than those closed cell foams. Not to mention its scale. Will be competing at the nationals this year with air tires.

I will say that foams are better overall. I just absolutely can not stand wet foams. Much rather have air tires. Or better yet a combination of both

Last edited by holycaveman; 03-12-2018 at 11:19 AM.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #42
RCC Addict

I was at a winter comp several years back. The 2.2pro winner had sealed tires. He ran negative pressure with sealed tires. He simply walked some sections where the rest of us just slid. His tires looked funny having flat spots, LOL, but it worked.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
I was at a winter comp several years back. The 2.2pro winner had sealed tires. He ran negative pressure with sealed tires. He simply walked some sections where the rest of us just slid. His tires looked funny having flat spots, LOL, but it worked.
I would like to see that on video. Negative pressure, aka vacuum? I don't see how that would work at all.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I would like to see that on video. Negative pressure, aka vacuum? I don't see how that would work at all.

Don't know, never tried it? I just know he won and about his tires.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #45
RCC Addict

But I will tell you how it worked for me this year running sealed air tires.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I run non vented tires, on beadlocks with foams... air/ foam mix!
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

This needs to be moved to the noobie section.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
This needs to be moved to the noobie section.
Amen to that!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

One problem with moving it to the newbie section is that more people without the experience to know better will try it and have shitty results, causing them to second-guess continuing with the hobby!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:55 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Foams don't cure bad driving. And there are advantages to air. Depends on what you are doing. If you are comp crawling then who cares. You run foams. If you run scale, it works pretty well in some situations. Not to mention SCALE. It's a valid question to anyone with experience.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:17 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Foams don't cure bad driving. And there are advantages to air. Depends on what you are doing. If you are comp crawling then who cares. You run foams. If you run scale, it works pretty well in some situations. Not to mention SCALE. It's a valid question to anyone with experience.
No. No there is not 1 single possible situation where air actually works better than air unless you're rigs ability to float is required.

But it makes perfect sense that the SCALE term is reinforced. SCALE is anti performance so it makes 100% perfect sense why it'd be preferred by a scaler.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
No. No there is not 1 single possible situation where air actually works better than air unless you're rigs ability to float is required.

But it makes perfect sense that the SCALE term is reinforced. SCALE is anti performance so it makes 100% perfect sense why it'd be preferred by a scaler.
I wasn't talking comp crawling. No one does that any more around here
Old 03-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wasn't talking comp crawling. No one does that any more around here
Nobody has comp crawlers so everyone tossed the idea of capability out the window in favor of scale realism? Yea, that sounds like scaler alright.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

I wish there was a disagree button...

I’ve never changed foams before, but I’ll take a water logged foam over a cut up rc tire all day.

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 03-18-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nobody has comp crawlers so everyone tossed the idea of capability out the window in favor of scale realism? Yea, that sounds like scaler alright.
Realism doesn't have to mean incapable. If you know how to build you can have both.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Realism doesn't have to mean incapable. If you know how to build you can have both.
I see a lot of scale nerds spouting that same lie. Does it come printed on the cover of the sorcca rule book or what?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
I see a lot of scale nerds spouting that same lie. Does it come printed on the cover of the sorcca rule book or what?
getting old and bitter in a hobby doesn't help anyone. And I am far from a sorcca fan

Last edited by holycaveman; 03-18-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
getting old and bitter in a hobby doesn't help anyone. And I am far from a sorcca fan
I'm not old or bitter. I just have to laugh when scalers talk about capability since it only pertains to between their class where all things scale are praised and building within the rules yet being capable is rewarded by not winning.

Realistic is great, I'm fully in support of having rigs that look like something. But being required to handicap a rig is idiocy.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm not old or bitter. I just have to laugh when scalers talk about capability since it only pertains to between their class where all things scale are praised and building within the rules yet being capable is rewarded by not winning.

Realistic is great, I'm fully in support of having rigs that look like something. But being required to handicap a rig is idiocy.
Well then we definitely agree on something.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I know this thread is older but, I think its important to realize not all RC tires or rigs are the same and your miles may vary. My brother has some older tires on his wraith that have quite firm sidewalls that were perfectly fine if not too stiff with no foams and vented wheels. My stock bomber BFG Baja's I liked after I cut off the outer 50% of the foam off. It didn't side hill great so I avoided putting myself in that situation, But It would drive up slopes many other people would just slide on.

And there is always a trade off, you will get more surface area gripping the surface at lower pressures which "can" translate to more traction and lower center of gravity
This can also easily cause balling up of your tires under load, poor side hill ability, unpredictable behavior when you jump on the throttle, and putting your center diff even closer to those pesky rocks.

It is much easier to manage these behaviors with foams, and I would highly recommend a 2 stage foam with a stiffer inner core and the softer outer rim.
Air Is less predictable and has vastly different effects with different tires, a tire with a thicker sidewall would handle it better.
If you have vented wheels you can try taping over the vent to seal them off.

As far as negative pressure. With a stiffer tire when you mount the tire just before you seal it, dimple in part of your tire with your finger, half an in or quarter of an inch. They don't mean a complete vacuum, it doesn't take much. This would help a more rigid tire to flex more.

{edit} This also seems like a good place to mention, some tire foams break down faster then others. So before you go cutting into them, try breaking them for a few hours a week, for a few weeks. {/edit}

I swear the battles I see on the internet, this vs that are way too intense...

So to answer the original question is there any reason not to do take the foams out of your tire? Yes,
it takes time and effort.
Should you do it? Yes, because doing stuff like this is how you lean, and its FREE! Now you know what to look for when you try it and decide for yourself weather or not you like it more with your rig, your driving style and the environment you drive in.

If you like people telling you what you just saw happen isn't possible, you could even share your results on the interwebs!

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 06-11-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

anyone else run thier tires with no foams? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help....stock tires cut foams or no foams? Jcplante Redcat Crawlers 8 08-22-2011 07:32 AM
has anyone removed thier tires? liveforocks Axial Wraith 3 06-26-2011 07:07 AM
foams? Should all 4 tires and rims have foams? riz Newbie General 5 02-04-2010 10:49 PM
how do you get BB's in your tires and run foams?? madmax22 Tires and Wheels 30 07-18-2009 09:14 PM
who cleans thier tires? JohnRobHolmes Tires and Wheels 10 08-09-2005 11:06 PM