Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: TIRE TIP TUTORIAL: How to help stop the sidewalls from "folding under" the rim:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TIRE TIP TUTORIAL: How to help stop the sidewalls from "folding under" the rim:

Thought I'd do a little write-up on a great tire mod I did the other day. I've never seen this done before, but can't be sure 100% that I'm the first to do it. It works REALLY well, and is very cheap!

We all know how frustrating it is to fight the sidewall folding under the rim while side-hilling. Some foams that crawler tires come with are ok for light-weight rigs. If your rigs are anything like mine, it's rare to have a rig under 7lbs. When your sidewall folds under the weight of your rig on a side-hill you lose a lot of steering capability and it just plain looks silly.
Here's a pic of the problem: (photo cred for THIS photo goes to"Cheatin")

There are foams out there that will REALLY help this problem. I own a set of Lil'Novas and LOVE them. They really work. This tip I'm posting is just a low-cost way to stiffen up those sidewalls for pretty cheap (or maybe even free)!

These tires are made by Tamiya, they're a 1.9 tire from the ta-02 stadium truck, and they are fairly hard rubber. I'd almost call them soft plastic instead of rubber, but they still have some give. These are the tires I used as side-wall donors.

These tires would probably work great as well!:
Hi-Lift tires

CC-01 tires

OK on to the process!

Step 1:
Make a "snip" in the tire. I chose to cut the tire at the very top of the sidewall, but you could do it anywhere on the sidewall. I thought about just cutting the tire dead in half down the middle of the tread, but i figured it would mess with the foam too much so chose to only use the sidewalls:

Step 2:
Cut the sidewall out of the tire. You'll need some quality scissors for this, or maybe some tin snips or maybe a samurai sword:

Step 3:
Cut the other sidewall out of the tire.

You'll probably be left with 2 sidewall rings that looks like this:

And a band of tread that looks like this:

I havn't found a use for these tread bands yet. maybe make them mini tank tracks? haha

Step 4:
Put the 2 sidewalls on the rim, but inside and out of the way of the bead-locking area:
on axial 1.9 beadlocks the 2 beads of the donor sidewalls touched eachother in the middle of the rim

out of the way of the area where the bead goes.

Step 5: (optional)
Put weights around your rim and wrap the weights a couple times with electrical tape so the weights dont fall off and destroy your foams:

Step 6:
Put your foams in between the two donor sidewalls:

Step 7:
Stuff the rim, sidewalls, foam, and weights inside the tire you desire to use. (It will help for the tires to be warm so they can stretch over your stiff sidewalls and stuff. I just set mine in front of a space heater for a couple minutes. A blow dryer would work great too)

Step 8:
Mount your beads in the beadlocks as you normally would with any other foam setup! Tighten your beadlocks up and you're DONE. Note the improved sidewall strength while still leaving PLENTY of plush flex on the outer rim of the sidewall and on the tread surface.

Step 9:
Repeat steps 1-8 for the other 3 tires in your set.

Here are some AFTER shots of how the sidewalls hold up to the side load. The rig is nearly at it's leaning tip-over limit and at least 75% of the rigs 7lb weight is on the 2 tires touching the table.

The sidewall is stronger and holds up to side load better, but can still flex and contour to the rocks pretty well!
The rig is flexing on a box of screws:

the sidewall CAN be pinched/layed flat just like before, only now it takes more force to do it. accomplishing the goal we had when we started the little experiment!

Hope this cheap and really quite simple mod will help many! Post up your experience with this mod. I will post as I see how it holds up and performs over time.

Last edited by heinie_21; 11-16-2012 at 05:29 AM.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: TIRE TIP TUTORIAL: How to help stop the sidewalls from "folding under" the rim:

im cheap. i love it.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: TIRE TIP TUTORIAL: How to help stop the sidewalls from "folding under" the rim:

any comparisson pics?

im going to have to try this.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Now everyone is going to want those tamiya tires. You just increased their value with 1 post
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Lol there's been a set at the lhs for 6 years now. I think I'm going to snatch them up.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Can you show a pic of after the mod?
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
im cheap. i love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
any comparisson pics?

im going to have to try this.
I'm gonna take some right now. i'll edit them into the end of the first post (if i can still edit the post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele42 View Post
Now everyone is going to want those tamiya tires. You just increased their value with 1 post
haha i thought about buying a set in the classifieds before posting this. wonder if they've sold because of this. but they're not hard to find for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty View Post
Lol there's been a set at the lhs for 6 years now. I think I'm going to snatch them up.

i bet after 6 years they'll take whatever price you offer! hahaha! $5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadace View Post
Can you show a pic of after the mod?
yes will edit them into the end of the original post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #8

This is a very smart ideaer. I'm glad I thought of it. ;)
rcrick263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #9

And yes a comparison pic would be great!
rcrick263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrick263 View Post
This is a very smart ideaer. I'm glad I thought of it. ;)
you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrick263 View Post
And yes a comparison pic would be great!
they've been added to the bottom of the original post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Finder View Post
Great idea, I'm going to do this to a set of my 2.2 scaler tires.
You should post before and after pics of how it goes with 2.2's

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post

I'm gonna take some right now. i'll edit them into the end of the first post (if i can still edit the post)

haha i thought about buying a set in the classifieds before posting this. wonder if they've sold because of this. but they're not hard to find for sure.

i bet after 6 years they'll take whatever price you offer! hahaha! $5?

yes will edit them into the end of the original post
Lol nope wouldn't take less than 15

Werty Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Lol no I'm saying to offer your lhs $5 cuz they'll be happy to see them go.

I tried to sell my tamiya mud terrains like 3 times in the classifieds with no interest from anyone. Haha.

Last edited by heinie_21; 11-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Very cool idea, leaves you with 4 sweet tread bracelets you can give to your loved ones for the holidays ;)
Or maybe the mini tank track is a cooler idea, either way you get to chop up and destroy some crappy previously useless tires...
FreakyT333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Sweet Should really help out those Pit Bulls My buddy runs
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

you my friend are a genius A+
EvanSouders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
Very cool idea, leaves you with 4 sweet tread bracelets you can give to your loved ones for the holidays ;)
Or maybe the mini tank track is a cooler idea, either way you get to chop up and destroy some crappy previously useless tires...
I had my wife try on the tread bracelet actually it fit snug on her bicep. bit big for a braclet hahah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
Sweet Should really help out those Pit Bulls My buddy runs
It should REALLY help pitbulls i think. My pitbulls and my 1.9 boggers were the worst with sidewall flop. I have lil' novas in my pitbulls, but if i didn't i would do this sidewall mod for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanSouders View Post
you my friend are a genius A+
thank you much! always nice to hear ones ideas are appreciated!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
I had my wife try on the tread bracelet actually it fit snug on her bicep. bit big for a braclet hahah!

I guess maybe you'll have to promote them as anklets instead for the petite gals
FreakyT333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Very good tips and very helpful. Thanks
gpilot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpilot2000 View Post
Very good tips and very helpful. Thanks
thanks my indonesian friend!

Has anybody else tried to do this mod to their tires? i'd love to hear any input from others.

TIRE TIP TUTORIAL: How to help stop the sidewalls from "folding under" the rim: - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2" tires on 2.6" rim??? blue-beard Tires and Wheels 8 06-07-2006 07:02 PM
How "NOT" to Cut N' Shut your JUMBO KONGS Tutorial JakeTheAlligatorMan Chit Chat 15 10-14-2005 05:51 AM