Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Good 40 series tire for crawling and bashing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Good 40 series tire for crawling and bashing

I just picked up a super clod and would like to figure out whats a good all around tire for crawling and bashing. Not doing any comps at all mostly crawling in a creek, mud and dirt. It came with proline moabs but i was wondering if something else would be better for what I'm using it for. I have been looking at proline trenchers, rc4wd baja claws or Imex swamp dawgs. Those are just some i have looked at not saying i am stuck on any of those. Any help picking something out would be appreciated.

Last edited by spdyracer; 01-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.
spdyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: Good 40 series tire for crawling and bashing

there really are no "good" 40 series available for purchase. now people do make custom tires. very expensive.
i would look at these maybe. the smaller lugs will make them "seem" softer
Rok Lox 40 Series Comp Tires
X-Lock Lightning Bolt 40 Series Tires
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I like the look of the 40 series boggers (mud slingers) from rc4wd.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What he said ^^^
Just pick a smaller tire you like and then cut and shut them up to 40 series. That's what I'm going to do and seems to be the best option.
Nimyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Mud slingers look good but there out of stock. I'm leaning towards the Baja claws just because I have read so many good reviews about the 2.2 versions and I am getting ready to order some in that size for another truck I have.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdyracer View Post
I'm leaning towards the Baja claws just because I have read so many good reviews about the 2.2 versions and I am getting ready to order some in that size for another truck I have.

I have the 40 series Baja Claws and I reckon they're awesome. But there's a few things to consider before you buy them....
  1. They're heavy! 340g+ per tyre which is as much as some wheels and tyres combined. But you do get plenty of rubber, deep tread and thick sidewalls make them durable.
  2. They're big! They can scrub a lot depending on the chassis / body you're running. Stand about 7 1/4" tall, see below with a pint beer can for scale.
  3. They're hard. The room smells like a tyre shop when you unbox them, they're made out of a real tyre compound by the look, feel and smell. I don't think they'd be fantastic for crawling, I only bash with them.
  4. The bead is square, unlike the Proline Traxxas bead tyres. They may not seat well on all wheels. I have them on the Mickey Thompson Classic II's as shown below which were made for them. Unfortunately, these wheels are no longer available from RC4WD.

But they do look SICK!

australiancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I got custom c-n-s sets for my super but on my sons summit he's got moabs, iroks, and trenchers. For all around I think the trenchers are pretty sweet. They take a beating but can still grab for the slow stuff!
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

thanks for all the info its really helpful. since the baja claws are so hard plus being wide ill probably skip those. I have narrowed wheels so i would like to get something more narrow like the rok lox but the bad thing is rc4wd only has one set in stock. when i add 2 it says it can't be added to my order and is out of stock. im not in a hurry so i may just wait and see if they get the back in stock and then order them

Good 40 series tire for crawling and bashing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best RC for bashing/crawling Lankan General Crawlers 17 07-13-2011 10:13 AM
Need a good chassis recommendation for bashing and casual crawling. PumpkinPie Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 21 01-11-2009 04:35 PM
Good mud/crawling tire celicaboy Tires and Wheels 36 06-06-2008 06:39 PM
Best all out bashing tire and rim for my force? ClodTrasher Tires and Wheels 15 10-31-2004 11:17 PM
Big Joe 40 series good for crawling? Uncle_Manuel2 Tires and Wheels 4 08-21-2004 05:13 PM