Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Storage! How does everyone do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Storage! How does everyone do it?

Okay,

I', flipping through boxes and boxes of parts on my new build, + my super scale build (which looks like may never happern with the Axial Wraith Wrangler and Twin Hammers out). But back on track. SO I got about 20 plastic cases with compartment dividers for ball ends, link ends differernt rods misc parts both usefull and scale all over my shop. The I got about 5 Larger lided divider boxes for servos's ESC's Motors etcs.

Then I have 1 bight no telling how many quart container for rims/wheels and rims and wheels.

I'm doing some cleaning and trashing some stuf and I start to get more and more disgusted about the state of all my tires. Now I am talking mounted ones. Short Course, Stadium and Crawler. from 1.5 to 2.2.

Where and how can I store them, When and how can I store them and be able to take spares to test on different terrians? I got nothin. I parused thrugh the local HD and Lowes looked around other places And I still see nothing.

SO what do people do? I know every builder on this bord has tires and wheels comming out the yang, Someone most have some nice way or idea to store and trasport what they want or need?

I say this as I am thinking off 5 sets of 1.9, 3 sets of 1.5's and then about 5 sets of 2.2 and then 10+ sets of 2.2-3.0 and 2.0-3.0.

Whats man to do?

Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Storage! How does everyone do it?

1. get a extra 12mm hex plastic and some all thread, a lock nut and a wing nut, and a washer,

2. now get the all thread put the lock nut on one side a few treads on, 2-3.
3. then slide down the plastic 12mm hex or whatever size you need,, tell it hits the lock nut from the long side of the all thread obvisously,
4. then slide 4-5 wheel/tire combos onto all thread,
5. slide your washer on and spin the wing nut down,

, there you go tire holders you can take on the go,,,
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Holy cow dude!! I just 'run what I brung'!
I have a large tackle box for all my hardware/tools/parts-bin type stuff with extra motors/ECS's and can toss a couple sets of tires in along with a charger, but that is about it for me.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
1. get a extra 12mm hex plastic and some all thread, a lock nut and a wing nut, and a washer,

3. then slide down the plastic 12mm hex or whatever size you need,, tell it hits the lock nut from the long side of the all thread obvisously,

Good idea for transporting, never thought about that one. But I'm thinking also quick and easy storage before transport. Most of the time when I go for a run I have at least 1-2 spares of the tire/wheel combo I'm running if its a glued on tire. Bead locks? I never or very rarely carry a spare. But when I'm running s/c or even Crawling I usually always have at least 2 full sets if not more with me as I am always curious what tire is going to best of what terrain.

On my old 1:1 TJ Crawler before I had the kids I had 3 sets of tires and rims. I had a set or bias ply irons on steel homemade bead locks, a set of pit bulls on walker Evans bead locks and then a set of Micky Thompson MTZ just mounted on black steeliness for everyday use. I had a tire rack that I built boasted of some I have seen on summit and hot rod garage catalogs, basically allowed me to roll a tire into it that kept it about 3 feet off the floor.

I'm thinking I might just weld something similar u and mount it on m wall, only difference is for the 1:1 stuff we were talking 35's and 37's yes a difference but not like RC tires, I took a little shout with some square and did a tack weld triangle holder, but the 1.5's fell through the 2.2 fit as I bases it closer on the, but the 2.0-3.0 where too big and would easily fall out if I bumped the tires around.

I will figure something out, I just thought that someone might have a good idea
Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I store tires I take to the track (SC) in Zip Lock freezer bags and all the crawler tires in plastic shoe boxes. The shoe boxes are great because you can see through them and easily recognize what tire it is.
MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have 4 pieces of 3' solid rod (can't remember diameter) that I put all the tires on to. I then hang the rods at each end by looped wire from my unfinished cieling in the basement. When I need a tire I just take the rod down and get when I need from it and hang it back up. Simple, and works like a charm. I cal it my Tire Rack. i'll try to take pictures, but it's pretty self explanatory.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have a lot of buggy, truck, and sc wheels for racing. for 1/10 truck and sc you can use those freezer bags for 4 wheels. The smaller truck wheels still fill the bag because they are wider.

I don't have many crawling tires, yet. Try freezer bags. My neighbor drives for proline and he keeps all his rims, tires, and wheels in clear storage containers so he can see inside from the outside. He freezer bags them and labels each bag with tire, compound, foam, rim, and number of runs
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
I have a lot of buggy, truck, and sc wheels for racing. for 1/10 truck and sc you can use those freezer bags for 4 wheels. The smaller truck wheels still fill the bag because they are wider.

I don't have many crawling tires, yet. Try freezer bags. My neighbor drives for proline and he keeps all his rims, tires, and wheels in clear storage containers so he can see inside from the outside. He freezer bags them and labels each bag with tire, compound, foam, rim, and number of runs

f all that work just for tires lol come on people they are rc trucks here not 1.1 rigs,,,

zip tie all of them you can find 4' long zip ties at home depot,,
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I dip skoal and the cans are excellent for screws, nuts, bits, and bobs. I use a paint pen to mark what the can contains
schmaged88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I used to have a storage issue with all my tires until i tried pitbulls, now each truck has its own set of pits/wheels and i sold all the other tires since i would never use them! Lol
As for parts i use tackle boxes and cardboard boxes to organize but i try to keep the "inventory" to a minimum since clutter makes me crazy and unused parts are $$ i could put back in my pocket
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I store them on the vehicles they go on and my extras go in a box or in my scale trailer, pretty simple issue I think...
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaman View Post
I store them on the vehicles they go on and my extras go in a box or in my scale trailer, pretty simple issue I think...
nice signature, rastaman,
Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
I used to have a storage issue with all my tires until i tried pitbulls, now each truck has its own set of pits/wheels and i sold all the other tires since i would never use them! Lol
As for parts i use tackle boxes and cardboard boxes to organize but i try to keep the "inventory" to a minimum since clutter makes me crazy and unused parts are $$ i could put back in my pocket
I just orderd a few sets of Pit Bulls hope I like them.

But man I can seem to rid myself of anything, I save parts like mad since I never know when I want to use it on something else, From models, or custom stuff I start working on that I find if I cut suck and suck of or dremmel this etc I can use it this way.

If I could get rid of half my RC parts I'd save so much space I wouldnt know what to do. That includes about 10 or so unfinished projects I started and never finished due to a more important one I wanted done or it just handled like garbage and I through it to the side to work on later.

If I could get rid of the RC stuff, and the real 1:1 parts I could actuall have some real room in my garage. It sucks if I need to do some wood work or metal work since I have to back the two family cars out of the driveway and into the street so I can back my 2 1:1 stored cars ( 03 Rubi built to crawl and the Jeepster )out of the garage and into the driveway.

I could kill my wife for wanting to live in a nice neighbor hood with an HOA, since they wont even let me build a detached 2 car Garage on my property even though it would match the house in color and style and have a bonus room. It's a no no there. But the kids are safe, and there are tons of kids in the neighborhood so its a nice for the family so ya got to make some sacrifices.

But off topic, I got my tire rack idea set I just got to finish the SCX10 JK and clean of my RC table before I can get it put up. But I did decided to go a platic box route for more of the "less" likely used tires so I will have direct access to the tires I want when I pack my bag, and If I want others It will just take a bit longer to dig them out.

Large PVC pipe and a saw can make some nice things if you think about it
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

If you have a rolling tool storage that you take to the track. Just run some bolts and nuts through the box and mount your spares you want on your box
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post

I've seen something like this accept it had square parts on top and bottom so you could carry 4 sets of 4 tires. I bet it wouldn't be that hard to make.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

When I need to take tires to a race I have a suit cade / duffel bag that I got from target. It has a long flat compartment under the main storage that is usually used for pants or something. I stack all the tires I need down there and put my pit mat and lights and what not in the main compartment. It's on wheels too. Back when I raced buggy, truck, and sc I had to lug around a lot of tires, even for one track

Sent from my PG86100 with Tapatalk 2
I <3 Tekin
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote

Storage! How does everyone do it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lipo storage? DannyDodge Electronics 7 01-04-2011 09:09 AM
storage boxes??? riz General Crawlers 9 12-18-2010 09:38 PM
nimh storage.............. bob1961 Electronics 7 12-05-2009 09:15 PM
battery storage tt454 Electronics 2 11-29-2009 12:34 AM
storage badnuz General Crawlers 4 03-30-2009 12:25 AM