Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Narrowing Stock XR10 wheels to fit Vanquish Incision Knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #1

Default Narrowing Stock XR10 wheels to fit Vanquish Incision Knuckles

This is an extract from my built thread showing the rig I set up to Narrow the Stock XR10 front Wheels to 1" for the Vanquish incision knuckles, I know there are many similar threads out there but I do not have a lathe and all of these are “household items”, its cheap and i dont think this method is on the forum apologies if it is and i failed to find it.

For this I discovered a CD jewel case was exactly the correct width

Made my own jig

Then cut the wheels both with and without the cd case.

Tacked with the soldering iron and CA'd and Epoxied with mesh. I let the epoxy runto the inside rim to give it more to grip onto

then drilled through for the stock rim screws to fit.

Please feel free to check out my new XR10 builT thread I would love to hear your views and comments

The Gasman's XR10 Built thread

Cheers everyone
The gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Narrowing Stock XR10 wheels to fit Vanquish Incision Knuckles

Nice job on the write up mate. It will really help anyone looking at wanting to narrow their xr wheels.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice work gasman! Thanks for the thread
LooseMoose1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

LOL I made up a jig much the same for mine.

A word of caution this involves using a sharp blade and there is potential of serious cuts and all that legal stuff.

Normally I can't lay out the same measurement more than once lol. The reason I did it this way was for consistency and certainly not for easy. It was what was hanging around the workshop so its what I used. I am sure there are much simpler ways to do it but this cost me 4 olfa blades, CA glue, epoxy and some gauze. In 2 hours I had narrowed rims.

To start I made a little jig to keep my cuts straight and the same rim for rim.

The white piece of plastic is 0.23 inch and the blue piece is 0.38 inch.

The olfa blade is screwed through the plastic and in to the table. The second screw is there to stop the blade from moving and wit light pressure on the blade will keep it from rising up. Feel free to swap it in for a new one anytime lol. Perhaps the serrated version would work better I don't know.

Told you it was ghetto.

So your first cut will be the combination of the 2 thicknesses of plastic, so 0.61 inch.This cut is done with the inner sleeve in place (not screwed) and on the bottom.

Now spin the rim on the blade keeping it flat on the table till it parts the outer ring.

Do this with all 4 rims.

Now remove the white piece of plastic and set the blade back up again.

The next cut is the outer rim piece. Roll it as pictured until it separates. Note you are taking the cut off what used to be the inside of the rim.

Next cut is the inner ring. Cut it the same way with the un flanged side down.

When its done clean up the edges if required and give the rim a quick tack weld with a soldering iron.

Now here I use some thick CA glue for the joint. After that dries I add 3 layers of simple gauze to the center section and wet that with a medium CA glue. Once that dries I mix up a little 5 minute epoxy and fill the guaze with it. The epoxy is probably overkill but what the hey.

Walla narrowed wheels.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

BTW thanks go out to all the members I purchased XR10 wheels from think it totaled out to 18 wheels. Now you know their fate LOL.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #6

Default Narrowing Stock XR10 wheels to fit Vanquish Incision Knuckles

I must admit some of the CA was used to stick some skin back onto my finger !!! After all that is what it was originally designed/invented for skin glue in battlefield injuries !!!!
The gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The gasman View Post
I must admit some of the CA was used to stick some skin back onto my finger !!! After all that is what it was originally designed/invented for skin glue in battlefield injuries !!!!
Been there before for sure.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Great write up Gasman, thank you for including great pics too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Here's my Wraith thread with how I narrowed XR10 wheels.

Natedog's Wraith Kit Build now with Cage Mods

What's this for???

Slice and dice!

Need to do the backside piece and glue it all back together.

Drilled backside "lockring" holes all the way through with 0.073" drill bit and trimmed to proper width for the narrowed wheels.

Wheels are done, foams trimmed, and mounting them up! Reinforced the CA joint with a wrap of drywall mesh tape and black ShoeGoo. Wheels are now 1.25" wide (inside narrowed) to clear my new VP knuckles and ti linkage, setting up with Hitec 7950TH. 1.25" imo is perfect width for most 2.2 tires, sucks the sidewalls in jut enough they don't hang on everything, doesn't crown the tread (stays fairly flat across from one shoulder to the other)...looks great, works great. They worked great at stock XR wheel width but were going to rub on my new VP knuckles and ti steering linkage.

Modded XR10 wheel without the inner, outer locking rings or screws now weighs 21.5 grams each with the tape and ShoeGoo, about 1.5g worth of tape and Goo per wheel.

2.2 Ripsaws R35, work great and look great imo. With some home made two stage foams that came with tires I bought from classifieds here...iirc Hoosier Daddy sold them to me lol...great guy to deal with!

Tires and wheels are mounted on Wraith and they look great, I'm very happy with the wheel mod so far! I took 0.005" off the backside of the aluminum lockrings to get more bead grip on the front side in addition to the extra backside grip.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Narrowing Stock XR10 wheels to fit Vanquish Incision Knuckles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vanquish XR-10 Incision Steering Knuckles and wheels bikeboy Axial XR10 35 03-07-2012 09:51 AM
VP Incision Steering Knuckles/Stock Wheels Mysterious Axial XR10 9 12-11-2011 05:18 PM
Vanquish xr10 knuckles with what wheels? ax-10 crazy Axial XR10 19 10-15-2011 06:05 AM
Vanquish XR10 Incision Steering Knuckles In Stock RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 2 10-01-2010 08:23 PM