View Poll Results: wich do you prefer and why
1.9 5 31.25%
2.2 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: 1.9 vs 2.2 tires whats the benifit of either one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

Default 1.9 vs 2.2 tires whats the benifit of either one

Like the title says what's the real advantage of running either one?
BLOWN HOWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1.9 vs 2.2 tires whats the benifit of either one

1.9 looks more proportional to most bodies. 2.2 is like driving a monster truck. I like both.

Sometimes it's a matter of function, for instance one cannot run 1.9's with ar60's.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

2.2 for me. Like the taller side wall for axle clarence.
wheelhead4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

K, so dudes that run 2.2's on anything besides wraiths, or any fenderless creation, want maximum capability & clearance. That said, they look goofy as hell most the time. I mean, our rigs are called "scalers". Nothin scale about 2.2's on a honcho, or anything else trying to pass as street worthy trail goer. 1.9's try to keep it a little more hemmed in. Much more scale, at the cost of some clearance. But alot of the time we put into these things is geared towards keeping them looking scale. I even dig 1.5's compared to 1.9's for scale appearance. All my rigs are on 1.9's & 1.5's. I have an xr10 for feeling the need to go over anything i see.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #5

Good reply jado. Thanks for the effort
Hammertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It mostly depends on what you are building.

1.55 wheels don't really look scale on a 1/6 willys jeep. Neither do 2.2 wheels. Willys was made with 16" ones and the 2.2 scales up to only 13". But nobody seems to make 2.7 wheels so people use what is available.

2.2 works on a 1/8 scale build especially if the body is a modern vehicle. The JK comes from the factory with 17" wheels and 2.2 scales up to 17". The Proline JK is very close to 1/8 scale. I believe the axial JK is the same size.

If you are building a 6x6 or 8x8 trial truck in 1/10 scale you can and probably should use 2.2 wheels. The real ones have 22.5" ones.

Now tyres. There are big 1.9 tyres and small 2.2 ones. Some 2.2 tyres have less grip than some 1.9 tyres.

So it depends completely on the tyres chosen from each category.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

The Axial JK is closer to 1/10 scale. A 1:1 JK has a 116" wheelbase. When you scale it down to the Axials at 12.3 you get 1:9.5 . 1.7 wheel is closer in scale size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MattyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Axial made a tiny truck. My bad.

The Proline 2 door JK is extremely close to 1/8.

Real:
WB: 95.4"
Lenght: 152.8"
Width: 73.7"

1/8:
WB: 11.9"
Lenght: 19.1"
Width: 9.2" (with fender flares)

Proline JK 2 door:
WB: 11.8"
Lenght: 19.0"
Width: 7.5" (at the doors)

I've cut the fenders off of mine, so can't get a measurement. IIRC they are less than an inch on both sides. So that measurement is spot on too.

Seems like they've made the Unlimited a bit smaller. Pity, I might have been interested otherwise.

In 1/9.5 1.7=16" and 1.9=18" So close!

Last edited by Scrap; 10-17-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

My two cents is that depending on what you build 1.9's are closer to 37's and lower where 2.2's are closer to 40's and higher. 54's in the case of the 2.2 two faced tires from RC4WD, but the fact of the matter is that anything bigger then a 37 on a street able rig looks a little ridicules. Where anything smaller then 40's on an ultra4 car just doesn't look right.
TheDude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Is it bad for a rig that comes with 1.9 wheels to upgrade to 2.2’s?
FunkMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlex View Post
Is it bad for a rig that comes with 1.9 wheels to upgrade to 2.2’s?
You must have been working the search button hard to dig this thread up, well done new guy. I assume you are talking about running 2.2s on something like a SCX10, TRX4, etc.

Usually people put 2.2s on those type trucks because the average 2.2 tire is significantly bigger than most 1.9s. Bigger tires roll over things easier and it makes people think they are better drivers without any of that pesky working on driving skill or chassis setup stuff.

Occasionally there are legitimate reasons to go to larger wheels (clearance for knuckle weights, mimicking a specific style of truck, or something like that) but mostly its a way to make your truck easier to drive with as little work as possible.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

We on this forum mostly deal with vehicles that are referred to as 1/10th scale, but most of them aren't exactly that...

Scale enthusiasts go for wheel diameters that at least roughly appear "correct" compared to the body's apparent scale.

My Ascender with the '72 Chevy cab is a smaller scale (most definitely) than my TRX-4 Defender, so I chose to run 1.7" wheels.

My TRX-4 is "upscaled" large enough to where 1.9" look great, but even a 2.2" wheel doesn't look too bad - but here's the other side of things - the tires you use with the wheels.

Even though some people in the 1:1 world run extremely oversized tires that foul the fenders on every dip in the road, for best performance the overall diameter of your R/C tires gotta tuck into the body over the terrain you're planning on running through - unless you are running something "fenderless" like a Bomber, Wraith, Yeti, Rock Rey or GOM...(etc.)

Both 1.9" and 2.2" tires are available in many overall diameters, adding another wrinkle.

My TRX-4 has 2 sets of 2.2" wheels with small-ish OD tires mounted on them - one is a set of RC4WD Dune T/A tire less than 4.5" in height, and the other set have 1.9" RC4WD Interco Ground Hawg II tires stretched over them and sit right at 4.75".

But I also swap onto a set of 1.9" SSD Steelies with RC4WD 1.7" Interco Super Swamper TSL/Bogger "Siped" tires stretched over them at an overall height of 4.5".

They all look right, and none foul the fenders.

But my Bomber - which is built to be more of a crawler/rock bouncer hybrid than a U4RC or King of the Hammers replica - runs a set of 5.25" Axial BF Goodrich Baja T/A's as well as a set of huge (nearly 6" tall!) Losi Maxxis Creepy Crawlers mounted on Gearhead 2.2" wheels.

It doesn't look like Randy Slawson's real 1:1 rig, but it does look like what hits the hillclimbs at the Southern Rock Racing Series...

(and just as importantly, it performs like them, too!)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Not everyone gives a rat's tail section about being sthuper sthcale ya know.

Small tires allow for a lower center of gravity so the potential side hill ability is better but that is where the advantages end. Ground clearance and the virtual reach before and after the axle centerline is a huge deal.

I run small tires on a couple gaylers but only for rule compliance. I swap on larger tires for capability.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Not everyone gives a rat's tail section about being sthuper sthcale ya know.

Small tires allow for a lower center of gravity so the potential side hill ability is better but that is where the advantages end. Ground clearance and the virtual reach before and after the axle centerline is a huge deal.

I run small tires on a couple gaylers but only for rule compliance. I swap on larger tires for capability.

Yeah, if you're going to be truely scale, then Capo vehicles only. Otherwise, shocks don't scale, hardware, rod ends, drivers,........ and finally vehicle speed. Mr Trash likes to break the glass ceiling on the last one, especially with his Bomber. 300+ mph club
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
You must have been working the search button hard to dig this thread up, well done new guy. I assume you are talking about running 2.2s on something like a SCX10, TRX4, etc.
I appreciate the props lol I try my best not to ask repeat questions but on this one I should have been more specific... what I meant by “was it bad” is can the stock servo, motor, gears and that sort of stuff turn 2.2’s without a problem or is that sure doom to all stock trucks that came with 1.9’s
FunkMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

You are somewhat more likely to damage parts running the 2.2" tires because of the additional strain they will cause, but it's all variable.

Gotta decide on your own whether it's worth the additional capability the larger tires will give you...

And I guess if you stay with 1.9" tires, according to certain people on this forum it will give you an instant lisp and cause you to seek out others of your own gender for intimate relationships!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlex View Post
I appreciate the props lol I try my best not to ask repeat questions but on this one I should have been more specific... what I meant by “was it bad” is can the stock servo, motor, gears and that sort of stuff turn 2.2’s without a problem or is that sure doom to all stock trucks that came with 1.9’s
Compensate for the gearing change caused by larger tires and maybe toss a stronger servo at them and have fun. I have a trx4 that has the stock esc & motor with a cheap 25kg servo that runs nothing but 5.5" and taller tires. It gets whooped by everyone since it's my rental rig and it just doesn't care about the tire size.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
You are somewhat more likely to damage parts running the 2.2" tires because of the additional strain they will cause, but it's all variable.

Gotta decide on your own whether it's worth the additional capability the larger tires will give you...

And I guess if you stay with 1.9" tires, according to certain people on this forum it will give you an instant lisp and cause you to seek out others of your own gender for intimate relationships!

Its the other way around though. 1.9 was for real men that can drive. 2.2's were for snitches that need training wheels. Atleast it used to be, but liberals have been on a war path so who knows, things change.

In any case just keep tabs on your temps and if they creep up a little just play with the gearing. Im not sure if I have more 1.9 or 2.2 rigs but my 2.2s have brutal power and dont break anymore than their smaller tired friends. Motor/esc temps is all I would worry about as durability would really depend on your finger

Grab some good 2.2 and slap em on there!
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Its the other way around though. 1.9 was for real men that can drive. 2.2's were for snitches that need training wheels. Atleast it used to be, but liberals have been on a war path so who knows, things change.

When your 1.9's can follow my 2.2's then you can talk about training wheels.

Bigger tires mean bigger obstacles are possible. You don't see sthupers on 5" tires for a reason.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I run 2.2 proline hammers on my scx10 based rig, they are 4.85 in. Tall and are damn near same height as my 4.75 1.9 tsl xl's...the hammers are much wider and tend to float on top of the snow and mud better...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

1.9 vs 2.2 tires whats the benifit of either one - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats everyone running for tires on their r1? 1natehundred G-Made Crawlers 10 12-12-2011 03:30 PM
whats the advantage of narrowed tires? muddinscx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 11-14-2011 09:08 PM
whats a good set of 2.2 tires jrcheese Arizona 18 10-31-2010 01:27 AM
So whats inside your tires? Evilsage Tires and Wheels 36 06-04-2009 07:41 AM
whats the best foam for tires 2056dennis Newbie General 4 04-06-2008 04:12 PM