Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Voodoo Silver Dot????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Voodoo Silver Dot????

So are the silvers like the red headed step children of the line? I'm interested in them, but haven't heard any chatter about them... Anyone have any time on them yet?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Voodoo Silver Dot????

X2
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I should have a set here shortly. They shipped yesterday so hopefully in a day or two I will have them and by early to mid next week ill post up about them in my review thread.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

There were no Silvers available when I ordered mine, only Golds and Blues.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
There were no Silvers available when I ordered mine, only Golds and Blues.
Same here. I saw they had them so I hurried and ordered a set
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The silvers are the first pair that I recieved and I personally like em. I just recieved a big box of foams for them last night. And I should have more foams in today. I'm gonna be trying a few different setups. I ran a local comp with them this past sunday and somehow managed to get a first place finish with them but the foams I was using were way to soft. We also ran in the rain and I didn't really seem to have a prob with traction in the wet.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
www.ottsix.com

Silver: Loves all rock and not as finicky to tune as the gold's...but can not be dialed in to the same level as the gold dots.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
Silver: Loves all rock and not as finicky to tune as the gold's...but can not be dialed in to the same level as the gold dots.
So are you saying they are not as good as the golds, but more of a mount up and drive it like it comes tire?

Not sure I understand what you mean. I am abort to unload some serious coin on a set of tires and i have 2 choices that cost the same.
Why should I buy gold or why should I buy silver. I obviously want the best choice. So what factors decide that?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I am from the school of thought that I want the softest rubber and I will make the proper foams do the work.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I haven't gotten the silvers yet. Just the golds and blues. So no comments on the silver. If I had a choice of what I have now I would just get the blues. My rigs are 4lbs-4lbs6oz. Rig weight is a factor for which compound to get as we'll, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
I am from the school of thought that I want the softest rubber and I will make the proper foams do the work.
Just remember the softer the compound the quicker the lugs fold over. Not just a carcass softness to consider.
That's why I use the Golds out back on my rig, the pins fold over easier, hence less traction out back as compared to blues up front. On my rig, anyways.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Just remember the softer the compound the quicker the lugs fold over. Not just a carcass softness to consider.
That's why I use the Golds out back on my rig, the pins fold over easier, hence less traction out back as compared to blues up front. On my rig, anyways.
Perhaps but Jeremyh has been having good results with the golds with the 6" foam setup. I just mounted mine up today with the same setup as Jeremyh I think it's going to be money on my 3.5lb sporty and the same setup maybe with tuning rings should do it on my 4lb xr. This setup feels firm and should keep the softer gold pins "erect" for lack of a better word. The rock around here is glass slick so I believe golds will be best, this could of course vary depending on the users terrain.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Perhaps but Jeremyh has been having good results with the golds with the 6" foam setup. I just mounted mine up today with the same setup as Jeremyh I think it's going to be money on my 3.5lb sporty and the same setup maybe with tuning rings should do it on my 4lb xr. This setup feels firm and should keep the softer gold pins "erect" for lack of a better word. The rock around here is glass slick so I believe golds will be best, this could of course vary depending on the users terrain.
Agreed. That's what I like about these tires. They can be tuned to a ton of set ups.
I will put Golds up front on select areas I comp on.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Hegh Hegh... he said "erect"

So you stuff the tires and let the pins do all the work? That's the way I used to run BCs.

Shane... why would you choose blues for both ends? You mentioned the softer compound slips more out back which helps... but is it too much?

I think I'm going to try the silver compound. Seems like they should be a nice compromise between the two.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Hegh Hegh... he said "erect"

So you stuff the tires and let the pins do all the work? That's the way I used to run BCs.

Shane... why would you choose blues for both ends? You mentioned the softer compound slips more out back which helps... but is it too much?

I think I'm going to try the silver compound. Seems like they should be a nice compromise between the two.
I ended up going with a "firmer" foam setup than what I was used to on my Khaos-Rovers. To me the Voodoos work better with more foam and firmer. Think it's the rubber and the thin sidewalls. Both are positives though.

I meant if I had a choice between one compound or the other after my testing and ECC I would go with the Blues. They had more fwd bite on my setup.

I think the golds slipped too much up front on my 4lbs 2oz berg. I put the blues up front and it was night and day as far forward bite.

I think the silvers will be a good choice to go with. I figured they would work but wanted to get the softest and firmest VooDoo's for my first purchase.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
www.ottsix.com

Golds are highly foam tunable compared to the silver and blue. That being said, I don't think it's any "better" than the other two...it's going to boil down to driving style and the type of rock you crawl.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I just mounted up a set of 6" closed cell foams with soft outers. I would have to agree with JeremyH as far as foams go. I am going to get some run time in on them tomorrow though.
So I'm running silvers on both ends on my setup. I'm sitting at 4lb 3oz.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
I just mounted up a set of 6" closed cell foams with soft outers. I would have to agree with JeremyH as far as foams go. I am going to get some run time in on them tomorrow though.
So I'm running silvers on both ends on my setup. I'm sitting at 4lb 3oz.
Please let us know how that set up works out for you. That's a shade heavier than what I run, but should give some insight on if it's a good setup for the 4 lb range.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I have the silvers. My rig is 4.12 lbs. I an running a bit of a norrow tire. slightly smaller than 1 inch. I mounted up 5.5 narrow closed cell up front and soft 5.5 outers in the front. I then mounted rears with 5.5 wide inners and medium outers. I had the tuning rings up front and no tuning rings out back. I did nto like the setup much. Went and took my inners out. I ground off the insides of the foams and then carved a channel about a grinding drum size deep with my dremel right down the middle of the inner foam. Reinstalled everyting and it feels much better.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Went and took my inners out. I ground off the insides of the foams and then carved a channel about a grinding drum size deep with my dremel right down the middle of the inner foam.
I can picture the sanding drum mod. Making more room for outer foam without reducing the CC inner support at the sidewalls. But I can't decipher "ground off the insides".
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I need to proof read. What I meant to say is my WHEELS are slightly more narrow than 1". On the foams, we all know what the inside outer edge of the closed cell foams look like. To me like a cabinet router went after them. I actually took my dremel and made it into more of a V if you will with the inside width (the part right on the rim and beadlock ring) being narrower than the outside width. The width gets more progressively wider towards the ourside. Sorry I didn't take pics.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote

Voodoo Silver Dot???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White Dot/ Blue Dot/ Pink Dot ?????????????? Driller1 Tires and Wheels 1 01-04-2013 12:04 AM
HB Rovers red dot,wite dot... ect. ski doo boy Newbie General 2 06-17-2011 07:37 PM