Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: RC4wd Steelies + VP OMF Ring + TSL's = Winning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default RC4wd Steelies + VP OMF Ring + TSL's = Winning

So I am currently in the process of picking a wheel and tire combo for mt TJ build that my buddy myth619 is working on for me. No build thread yet but I digress.

I have a st of 5-lug 1.9 RC4WD Wagon Wheels in black and a set of 1.9 VP OMF's. The wagon wheels have some Rock Crushers on them which I do not intend to use, where as the OMF's have TSL's on them and I think the TSL's + Wagon wheels would fit the TJ build a bit better.

However most of us know that the Rc4wd Steelies/Internal beadlock + TSL's = fail without one of the following. Their new proline compatible rings which are a cheap $12 but never in stock or making some PVC rings or Underground crawlers rings.

Well I figured I try something, I took the 1 TSL off an OMF's super fast considering its only 4 screws per wheel. Then I removed a Rock Crusher off the Wagon Wheel. I tried to mount the TSL on the wagon wheel and like always....the bead came off with little to no effort.

With the wheels apart I noticed that the VP ring and the Rc4wd ring were very similar so I thought to myself "Rich, why not try the VP ring on the wagon wheels?" and I did. I took the VP OMF ring, stuffed it in the TSL, grabbed the rc4wd wagon wheel halves, put the wheel together and it WORKED!

I pulled and tugged and the bead held strong. I'm stoked that this worked as the VP rings are relatively inexpensive ($4 each), usually in stock and worked perfectly. I tried using the Rc4wd ring on the OMF's and TSLs and it wouldn't hold a bead.

The only difference I see with the rings is where the inner lip is located on the ring. On the Rc4wd ring (left ring with weights) its deeper than the VP ring (right unweighted ring) which leads me to believe thats the slight difference that held the TSL. I'm putting some decent pressure in the pic to try and remove the bead but its on there snug.

Hope this helps others!

Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: RC4wd Steelies + VP OMF Ring + TSL's = Winning

Another life saver would be to hit up Mthead and have him cut you some bead spacers. My RC4WD wheels would not hold a bead even with CA glue. Add a couple spacers to the bead and they are locked down tight. I add them to all my tires, even my VP wheels had issues holding the beads. I am sure he makes them for 1.9, or at least he could if he chose to.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Sounds like that bead spacer + rc4wd ring = VP omf dimensions or similar to hold the Proline bead =)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Well Shinjari this set up also worked for me brother. Thank you for posting this how to info on making the TSLs work with the RC4wd Steelies. I had just bought the 6lug wheels a week ago and after reading some negative feed back on how these wheels did not hold the beads on the TSLs I was kind of disappointed and wanted to go a different route. Then as I was searching on what scale tire would work with these wheels and I came across your thread on how to make this particular set up work. I was stoked that I was able to use this set up for my D90 half cab truggy build that's in the works and gathering parts for the build. Just like you posted before. "Steelie wheels, TSL XLs, and 1.9 OMFs clamping rings ===success". Here are my rear wheels and tires with some scale acorn nuts as the fronts tires and wheels are waiting to get some weights put on the clamping rings to be completed. Again thanks for this info.

Last edited by muddywaters; 03-09-2014 at 08:42 PM.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looking great! Glad the trick of using VP OMF rings I literally attempted for the heck of it worked out for you as well! Will keep an eye out for the rig =)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Read this thread and decided to give it a shot. I had the TSL XL's and really liked the Rc4wd wagon wheels So i got the VP rings and put it all together last night. Today i beat the snot out of them, beads held firm. Thanks you Shinjari, your the man Heres a couple pics

billj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Nice! =) I love my TSL's, nice shots
Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Tried this with a set of tango downs and it technically works....but the wheel is now crazy wide.

Also have a set of Hittman/raceline monsters that just came in and I need to try this just to add another type of wheel to add to the list of successful TSL mounting =)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well guys I gave it a shot and tried to make the Vp SLW hubs on the steelies work and Bam!!! success as well. All that is needed is your dremel, 3 of your sanding tube, just like the one on my Dremel and patience. First you get which side on the steelies you want and start to sand little by little the center of the wheel to till the Vp SLW hub fits snug which does not take that much and vice versa the other side. Once that's done go ahead and mount the wheels and tires and sandwich the wheels using 2 longer screws till they are flat against each other. And last you use a 4-40 tap to rethread the wheels and hubs together and install acorn nuts for more of a scale look.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. I did that a while back. Just used a 1/8" drill
Bit to open the lug holes. I didnt open the big hub hole though.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Looks good. I did that a while back. Just used a 1/8" drill
Bit to open the lug holes. I didnt open the big hub hole though.

Thank bud, I was also going to do that as well but decided to go and do the center hole and it was a success. I just sanded enough to clear the hubs nice and snug and all the holes centered up and then I gave it a tap through so that the metal wheel would have the same 4-40 tread as well as the hub and it screwed it with no issues.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
So I am currently in the process of picking a wheel and tire combo for mt TJ build that my buddy myth619 is working on for me. No build thread yet but I digress.

I have a st of 5-lug 1.9 RC4WD Wagon Wheels in black and a set of 1.9 VP OMF's. The wagon wheels have some Rock Crushers on them which I do not intend to use, where as the OMF's have TSL's on them and I think the TSL's + Wagon wheels would fit the TJ build a bit better.

However most of us know that the Rc4wd Steelies/Internal beadlock + TSL's = fail without one of the following. Their new proline compatible rings which are a cheap $12 but never in stock or making some PVC rings or Underground crawlers rings.

Well I figured I try something, I took the 1 TSL off an OMF's super fast considering its only 4 screws per wheel. Then I removed a Rock Crusher off the Wagon Wheel. I tried to mount the TSL on the wagon wheel and like always....the bead came off with little to no effort.

With the wheels apart I noticed that the VP ring and the Rc4wd ring were very similar so I thought to myself "Rich, why not try the VP ring on the wagon wheels?" and I did. I took the VP OMF ring, stuffed it in the TSL, grabbed the rc4wd wagon wheel halves, put the wheel together and it WORKED!

I pulled and tugged and the bead held strong. I'm stoked that this worked as the VP rings are relatively inexpensive ($4 each), usually in stock and worked perfectly. I tried using the Rc4wd ring on the OMF's and TSLs and it wouldn't hold a bead.

The only difference I see with the rings is where the inner lip is located on the ring. On the Rc4wd ring (left ring with weights) its deeper than the VP ring (right unweighted ring) which leads me to believe thats the slight difference that held the TSL. I'm putting some decent pressure in the pic to try and remove the bead but its on there snug.

Hope this helps others!
Thank you for posting explanation and great pics!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Nice work, I thought of doing this with my Racelines/hittman wheels to get that offset I wanted. I would've just sanded/removed the shoulder off the hub instead of opening up the center hole but either way works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
Well guys I gave it a shot and tried to make the Vp SLW hubs on the steelies work and Bam!!! success as well. All that is needed is your dremel, 3 of your sanding tube, just like the one on my Dremel and patience. First you get which side on the steelies you want and start to sand little by little the center of the wheel to till the Vp SLW hub fits snug which does not take that much and vice versa the other side. Once that's done go ahead and mount the wheels and tires and sandwich the wheels using 2 longer screws till they are flat against each other. And last you use a 4-40 tap to rethread the wheels and hubs together and install acorn nuts for more of a scale look.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice work, I thought of doing this with my Racelines/hittman wheels to get that offset I wanted. I would've just sanded/removed the shoulder off the hub instead of opening up the center hole but either way works.
I was thinking about removing the hub shoulder too...what offset did you want?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I was thinking about removing the hub shoulder too...what offset did you want?
whatever it takes to clear VP 8* knuckles. I think its 350 + traxxas fat hex.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
whatever it takes to clear VP 8* knuckles. I think its 350 + traxxas fat hex.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #17

I am so glad I saw this thread. I know it's older but omf rings are the way to go. I bought rc4wd proline rings for my steel 5 lug wheels but still wouldn't hold a bead. First omf ring I tried no problems going together. I say thank you sir for trying this and sharing with everyone.
merlexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Glad it is still helping people =)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yes, great info!

RC4wd Steelies + VP OMF Ring + TSL's = Winning - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who says PL TSL's won't work on RC4WD Steelies? Metal Masher General Scale Talk 22 12-30-2013 09:20 PM