RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   2.2 Nitto Mud Grapplers anyone? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/487030-2-2-nitto-mud-grapplers-anyone.html)

SwampDawg 03-12-2014 10:53 AM

2.2 Nitto Mud Grapplers anyone?

i know this topic has been mentioned several times in the past but i thought id start a thread in the hopes for someone say like...RC4WD to make us some of these sweet tires?

I keep seeing them on 1:1 trucks and they are sick IMO!

so? :roll:

http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/...d_grappler.jpg

french_connection 03-12-2014 10:35 PM

Re: 2.2 Nitto Mud Grapplers anyone?

There was a 1.9 called "out cropper" but it was a poor copy, too round of a profile and very small diameter, like 4.19inches if I recall. I have bought the Gladiator which are a copy of the trail grappler 1.9 at 4.6inches. I would also love for rc4wd to make some proper Mud grappler in 1.9 and 2.2 as long as they are not as small diameter as the old version.

blackfox93 03-13-2014 07:59 AM

I trade around on 1:1 wheels and tires ALOT. I have ran 1:1 Terra Grappler, Trail Grapplers, and Mud Grapplers. The mud graps are a cool looking 1:1 tire... I hated them worst tire Ive ever owned but they are hard to beat as far as looks go especially on a big wheel. I hated them in the mud and around the trails on my hunting land and farm... sometimes I felt like I was on a A/T... The only way I would ever even consider them on a RC is a Shelf Queen lol. This is my opinion though I got a buddy that LOVES his but his Duramax NEVER sees offroad... it always looks like it needs to be on a showroom floor somewhere. This is just my opinion on the 1:1s Im not hating I just didnt know if you have ever ran them on a 1:1 truck but they are a TERRIBLE trail tire IMO! Im sure Im not the only one that has actually trail tested the real thing maybe this is why RC4WD and other RC tire manufacturers havent made a real copy

SwampDawg 03-13-2014 11:12 AM

R35 compound would fix that.

blackfox93 03-14-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampDawg (Post 4707589)
R35 compound would fix that.

Yeah and maybe some wider lug spacing, They dont Clean out very well.

SwampDawg 03-14-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfox93 (Post 4708693)
Yeah and maybe some wider lug spacing, They dont Clean out very well.

its hard to believe the 1:1 tire is really this bad? lol
otherwise, yea... if spacing out the lugs makes them work and
using a soft compound to grab traction, then i want a set of 4.

blackfox93 03-14-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampDawg (Post 4708773)
its hard to believe the 1:1 tire is really this bad? lol
otherwise, yea... if spacing out the lugs makes them work and
using a soft compound to grab traction, then i want a set of 4.

Ah you know how it goes... opinions are like a$$holes.... you know the rest. This is just my experience alot of people like them... some dont...like I said Im not hating. But most people around here run them on Mall Crawlers... very few actually trail or even mud test them. I really do want to see more scale tires on the market"thumbsup". I really want to see some Goodyear MTR Kevlars soon. I had some on my old TJ Rubi and loved them.

ben h 03-14-2014 11:05 PM

all of the nitto mud trail and wat ever the other one is suck at anything but being a tar baby tire hence there made for 20s allot there just to have a " agressive" looking tire but to do jack squat
hope no one waists there time making this tire a good tire to be made would be a 2.2 rice tire of the same design supirior traction makes for trucks

somthin like this
http://www.superiortraction.com/#!cu...ckergallery2=8 in about a 44in tire like 14 wide idk what scale would be

SwampDawg 03-14-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben h (Post 4709608)
all of the nitto mud trail and wat ever the other one is suck at anything but being a tar baby tire hence there made for 20s allot there just to have a " agressive" looking tire but to do jack squat
hope no one waists there time making this tire a good tire to be made would be a 2.2 rice tire of the same design supirior traction makes for trucks

somthin like this
Superior Traction LLC. in about a 44in tire like 14 wide idk what scale would be

english would have been nice :lmao:
but i disagree with this to an extent...
if you can make an aggressive looking tire such as the Mud Grappler work in the world of RC simply by changing the compound and spacing out the lugs, then i say why not!!

i still dont see this being a waste of time? ;-)

Lentsnh2012 03-15-2014 12:06 AM

The 1:1 Mud Grapplers definitely aren't the best tire out there. They are wayyyy too hard and loud on the road and they clog up worse than a overly obese man's arteries.

From what I've heard, they're pretty good on the tacky rock though, like out in Moab. But what tire ISN'T good on tacky rock?

There are better tire alternatives for our scaled market. I feel that the next tire produced, should be a refined Goodyear MTR Kevlar or a Maxxis Creepy Crawler tire.

SwampDawg 03-15-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 (Post 4709650)
The 1:1 Mud Grapplers definitely aren't the best tire out there. They are wayyyy too hard and loud on the road and they clog up worse than a overly obese man's arteries.

From what I've heard, they're pretty good on the tacky rock though, like out in Moab. But what tire ISN'T good on tacky rock?

There are better tire alternatives for our scaled market. I feel that the next tire produced, should be a refined Goodyear MTR Kevlar or a Maxxis Creepy Crawler tire.

havent seen the maxxis creepy crawlers til now but those have my interest now "thumbsup"

Maxwedge 03-15-2014 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
O.P.- RC4WD did make a 2.2 Outcropper in the 5.7" range. I use(d) it on my heavy C3 rig with good results. It is modelled after the MudGrappler but with the wider spacing requested, and hooks up pretty well everywhere. No RockBeast, but pretty good, and I like the unusual tractor look.

ax10tn 03-15-2014 09:13 PM

Very odd that people dislike the mud grappler . I've had several sets and is by far the best traction tire I've ever owned I've ran them on 2 different F-250's , Toyota tacomas and jeeps on the road , snow , ice , rocks and mud . We got about 2 inches of ice with 10 inches of snow on top of the ice with a 600+ hp diesel and it took a lot to spin them I was pulling people out of ditches without even spinning . I have a friend next door and he has had probably 15 sets of te mud grappler but like said above everyone has there opinions

SwampDawg 03-15-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxwedge (Post 4710550)
O.P.- RC4WD did make a 2.2 Outcropper in the 5.7" range. I use(d) it on my heavy C3 rig with good results. It is modelled after the MudGrappler but with the wider spacing requested, and hooks up pretty well everywhere. No RockBeast, but pretty good, and I like the unusual tractor look.

i went to rc4wd and i dont see a 2.2 outcropper tire, so ill assume these were discontinued??

Lentsnh2012 03-15-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampDawg (Post 4710621)
i went to rc4wd and i dont see a 2.2 outcropper tire, so ill assume these were discontinued??

Yeah, the 2.2/1.9 Outcropper was discontinued about a year ago. "thumbsup"

The tire compound was awful.

SwampDawg 03-15-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 (Post 4710637)
Yeah, the 2.2/1.9 Outcropper was discontinued about a year ago. "thumbsup"

The tire compound was awful.

okay...so the compound sucked but why not bring that very tire back to life in a r35 compound.

May not be the choice tire for crawling, but im after an aggressive looking tire such as the mud grappler or outcropper in a 2.2 size.

damn this is tough :ror:

Lentsnh2012 03-15-2014 10:13 PM

I'm sure it'll make its rounds again. We will just have to wait it out and see.

I doubt it'll be a 2.2 tire, probably just a tall and uber sticky 1.9 like the Compass and Gladiator tire.

alpine4x4 03-15-2014 10:23 PM

Fully agree the Mud Grappler is a mostly show little go "offroad" tire. Cool looking though. On that same note might as well make the Interco Thornbirds if you're gonna make the Grapplers.

I also fully agree the next tire should be the Kevlar MTR or the Maxxis Creepy Crawler. I would love to have a set of creeps. Would be nice if the Treps had more tread depth. For now Pitbull Rockbeasts and Rok Lox are the only way to go!

Lentsnh2012 03-15-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpine4x4 (Post 4710678)
Fully agree the Mud Grappler is a mostly show little go "offroad" tire. Cool looking though. On that same note might as well make the Interco Thornbirds if you're gonna make the Grapplers.

I also fully agree the next tire should be the Kevlar MTR or the Maxxis Creepy Crawler. I would love to have a set of creeps. Would be nice if the Treps had more tread depth. For now Pitbull Rockbeasts and Rok Lox are the only way to go!

How did I know that the Thornbirds were eventually going to pop up? :lmao::lmao: I would take a Fraternity brother's bald Mud Grapplers that came off of his F-150 before I even looked at a set of Thornbirds.

Katan, if you're looking, MTRs and Creepy Crawlers! "thumbsup"

KillerBlackbird 03-16-2014 07:57 AM

If RC4WD made Thornbirds in X2SS compound they would still probably get traction lol.