Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Gmade 1.9 plastic truck wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Gmade 1.9 plastic truck wheels

I've had these Plastic 1.9 Gmade three piece wheels for about 6 months now, mounted on some Trail busters. I haven't used them too often. I've noticed all four of them have started to crack and come apart on the back side of the wheel. It looks as if they may have even dry rotted. Has anyone else had the same issue with these? I only use them because of how scale they look. I know they're a cheap wheel. Just not sure if I should try another set. I've never cleaned them with any solution to soften them. Wonder if I over torqued the bolts.
Attached Images

tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gmade 1.9 plastic truck wheels

I'm not sure. I have 2 sets of these in black and have had no problems...though I haven't crawled much with them in the past year.
slow1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow1500 View Post
I'm not sure. I have 2 sets of these in black and have had no problems...though I haven't crawled much with them in the past year.
Thanks. I placed an order for another set. Not sure what happened, but I'm going to try four more
Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

did not use plastic wheel,all my wheel are CNC Aluminium 1.9" Heavy Duty Beadlock Alloy Wheel ,everything is good so far.
mike_like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

my gmade plastics just cracked 2 of the 3 wheels without notice, ive beat the snot out of them before they cracked
kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunas View Post
my gmade plastics just cracked 2 of the 3 wheels without notice, ive beat the snot out of them before they cracked
I don't run on these very much because they are plastic, I use them more for the scale appearance, but they came apart just sitting on the shelf. Not sure what happened, but I have another set coming. It's weird, I can break them apart by hand, like the plastic is dry rotting. I guess I got what I paid for .
Old 12-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have had a set for around 2 years. I have had PL TSL SX 4.3 and the XL's on them. Running a standard brushed set up, 27-35T 2s-3s and they have faired quite well. Hexes are still good, no cracks( some moderate rash around the edges). My guess is that they were over tightened.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad,Canyoufix? View Post
I have had a set for around 2 years. I have had PL TSL SX 4.3 and the XL's on them. Running a standard brushed set up, 27-35T 2s-3s and they have faired quite well. Hexes are still good, no cracks( some moderate rash around the edges). My guess is that they were over tightened.
I was thinking the same thing, just too tight. However I got a second set and left them fairly loose, enough where I lost a couple of the bolts. Three of them are fine, but one has started to fracture around the same location. This may be my last set.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Wonder if they changed the mold and made something a little too thin to save money. I just received a steel set for my scx(swapped the plastics to the wraith), love the scale look of these wheels.

May I ask what tires you are running?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wonder if they changed the mold and made something a little too thin to save money. I just received a steel set for my scx(swapped the plastics to the wraith), love the scale look of these wheels.

May I ask what tires you are running?
That's what I was wondering. On my first set, I could take the plastic and pull it apart with my fingers, like it was way, too brittle. This second set seems to be holding up a bit better except for one. I'm running RC4WD trail busters. They mount easily enough. I agree with you, they look extremely scale, which is why I really like them.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I really doubt this is part of it, but I run the bolts with the heads on the inside and hexes on the outside. I get them pretty snug with my fingers and a driver. I would just switch to their steel version though. They are nice and heavy.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I really doubt this is part of it, but I run the bolts with the heads on the inside and hexes on the outside. I get them pretty snug with my fingers and a driver. I would just switch to their steel version though. They are nice and heavy.
That's the next step really, just a steel set of their truck wheels, similar to the Gelande wheels. Thanks for the insight!

Gmade 1.9 plastic truck wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question about gmade shocks. plastic caps? warren General Crawlers 3 05-16-2013 07:40 PM
Another Gmade Truck kjr2 Tamiya Clod Buster 24 09-27-2006 05:25 PM