Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2015, 01:32 AM   #201
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL

They look good. What is the REAL measured diameter of the tyres?

Oh yeah. Go get them dirty and worn and post more pics.

Last edited by Scrap; 03-14-2015 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Why not?
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 AM   #202
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
Funny guy..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
Pretty much any internal beadlock except ssd, they do proline fine
SSD rims won't work with proline tires?? thats good to know.

EDIT: they will mount on proline tires they even say so on their website. Come on man...

Last edited by realsickclown; 03-14-2015 at 06:22 AM.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 AM   #203
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsickclown View Post

EDIT: they will mount on proline tires they even say so on their website. Come on man...
no... ssd's DO work with prolines, (ive got both 1.9 and 2.2 and can say that they both easily mount p/l and pit bull tires) i guess that could have been clearer. i meant that no other internal bead wheels will work... they are the only off the shelf internal bead wheel that i know of that will hold proline and pitbull beads. you can also make the others work with a home-made internal ring, but as far as i know for "buy it and go", ssd for the win!

Last edited by stevem50; 03-14-2015 at 06:45 AM.
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #204
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsickclown View Post

You didn't read stevem's response correctly, reread it. Also, what winning circle will these work in? All the comp guys said they are useless due to the tire height being .01 over size.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #205
Rock Crawler

thats where my "funny guy..." comment was aimed, but im hearing about more organized trail comps that dont strictly follow sorrca regs. maybe there? i did one like this last year in richmond with the va scaler guys that was great, it wasnt broken down by c1,2,3, it was a run-whatcha-brung trail event where any chassis and tire (2.2 max size) (just needed to look like it could be a real vehicle) was a go, only no-nos if i remember correctly were no moa, dig or rear steer. with no scale points, it placed more emphasis on line choice and driving than how many doll house shovels you had glued in your bed
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #206
Rock Crawler

That almost sounds like the TTC they run around here. No rear steer, no moa. Run what ya brung. They emphasize waterproof and winch. Still though, I would probably use a 2.2 in a situation like that
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #207
Rock Crawler

So they did not change the thickness of the proline bead on the tire ?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #208
Rock Crawler

So is anybody having any luck with these tires.?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Tried mounting mine with CI 4.75 DS foams on gearhead wheels - fail. Wheels are too wide for the foams (or vice versa) and they slide around laterally quite a bit with no sidewall support. Didn't have the option for a narrower wheel, so put the stock foams back in for now, and ready to roll this weekend. Tires are significantly bigger than the TSL's - not sure if it's the mountain of foam puffing them up or what.

Last edited by OSRC; 04-07-2015 at 08:46 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #210
Rock Crawler

I'm looking into buying a set of these 1.9 and the 2.2 versions as well
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #211
I wanna be Dave

Mini review! Mounted up with stock foams, on Gearhead Trail kings. Rig is about 8-9lbs last time I weighed it, and runs 35t motor/2S.

I usually run this truck with TSL XL's, and have been running it for a while now with no changes, so it was a perfect test bed for these tires. First off, mounted up and compared to a set of modded 2.2's. slightly taller, and almost as wide. Note the subtle change in tread pattern - more open and smaller lugs.

Then, out to hit the trails. This is St. Peter's Village here in PA, and if there's a better place to test, I don't know where it is. Every kind of terrain you could want. Just getting started, I forgot how bad new tires are out of the box. Didn't grip for nothing...

Started softening up after a while of course, and started hooking up. The stock foams really are not terrible imo, far better than the super soft ones that come with RC4WD and Axial tires. The pic below is all the weight on the rear tire, and it's folding, but not on the rim. Really, they fall down somewhat on sidehilling but they're not terrible on the whole. On a lighter rig like a stock Axial they're probably pretty good.

Mud and water, no problem. Cleared right out and got good grip, even when wet. Didn't try super thick mud though.

This is where I thought these tires would fall down compared to the TSL's - loose dirt. I thought the tread pattern wouldn't bite as hard, and I'd be spinning all over as this is where my 2.2's fall down. Well, I spun, but it scrambled up the hill. My Growlers, treps, and Gladiators can't get up here - thought for sure these wouldn't make it either, but the tread is spaced far apart enough that they bite. (TSL's and Falkens get up here as well) Lots of wheelspeed, but it dug in nicely.

And of course, rocks. Killed it on the rocks - lots of contact patch and magic G8 compound. No hops, skips, or grabs. Smooth as can be. Seconds picture is coming up in a spot I haven't been able to get before.

After 5000mah, broken in and zero wear as expected. My truck took a beating though... Broken cage after I misjugded and dropped 10 feet off a ledge. Oops.

If I had to compared to the TSL, These outshone on the rocks and grippy surfaces, but worked a bit harder in loose dirt. Didn't really leave me wanting though, excellent all around tire!

Last edited by OSRC; 04-12-2015 at 01:53 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #212
Pebble Pounder

I bought the Flat Irons to use on my 1.9 SSD Assassin beadlocks until the Pitbull Growlers were back in stock. They were a real pain to mount and the back bead was so soft, they didn't want to stay even all the way around. I'm not sure if they work on other SSD beadlocks but they suck on Assassins. I will get a set of Proline beadlocks for the Flat Irons and throw those on my Twin Hammers. My SSD Assassins deserve better meats.
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #213
I wanna be Dave

So, OSRC...Nice write up....can you put a ruler to the tire and tell us what the real size of this tire is ??? Did I miss that somewhere, I've been skipping around all the SORCCA haters posts....

I have a set of TSL's that lost the bead on three out of 4 tires on VP wheels. Pretty disgusted with ProLine's headlock tang, afraid these Flat Irons would be the same. If the SSD rims work better, anybody want to trade some for the VP's I have ??? they are 2.2's. I'm actually looking for a class 3 tire...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

RPP web site notes that the flat iron 2.2 tire is 4.84" tall
Old 04-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #215
Rock Crawler

[strike]I just picked mine up yesterday. Can't wait to mount them up[/strike]

Sorry, mine are the 2.2s

Last edited by Armistice; 04-26-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #216
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
So, OSRC...Nice write up....can you put a ruler to the tire and tell us what the real size of this tire is ???
I would also like an answer to this question. It can't possibly be that hard to just measure the diameter with a ruler.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #217
Quarry Creeper

In Italy we have no problems of measures in the category Scaler Extreme,
he maximum size allowed is 120 millimeters with a tolerance of 2%, 120mm + 2% = 122,4 millimeters

My Flat Iron XL, modified for wheels 2.2 and cut on the tire tread, with foam much bigger than original
have this measure :

I like this tires....
maxbonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #218
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
But if you don't compete, how do you know what tires people that do compete are running?

There is quite a spectrum of competitor tires I've seen.. Pitbull, proline, rc4wd & voodoo. With varied tires from each manufacturer. A guy I know does awesome with rc4wd 1.9 mudbashers.
Clearly the tire allowance should be extended to enable the builder/competitor more options.

This is common sense.

Scale is about being fun and all inclusive for me. And i love to compete. In fact i will be running these new flatirons in c2 next rear with my 1.9 full tuber.

i am a builder/competitor.

The 2.2 flatirons on my c3 work amazing. Cant wait to get these new 1.9 xl flatirons and compete with them!
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #219
Rock Crawler

Sorry, measured the 2.2 verisons
Old 04-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #220
I wanna be Dave

What wheels you running that C3 flat iron on caveman?

Tags
.01, nerdrage

Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
proline flat iron tires iceman320 Chit Chat 16 05-17-2008 06:53 PM