Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL

The strange part is Proline lists both height the Flat Iron XL and Swamper XL as 121 mm making them the same height. If you convert 121 mm to inches it comes out to 4.76.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
But for those that do comp occasionally, it's a waste of money. Why would I buy a tire that I can't run?

Why aren't footballs used in an NBA game? It's still a ball...
Then don't buy these tires. These tires weren't made for you. It's obvious that ProLine doesn't really care about comps and that's probably because most of the people in this hobby don't care about comps.

Your analogy doesn't even make sense in this case. ProLine isn't making a different "ball". They're just making it a different size. "Why aren't softballs used in an MLB game?" would have made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Your made-up statistics are cute.

Ottsix, pitbull and rc4wd must just be really nice catering to that 5%.

The rule is 4.75, i dont get how thats applicable?
I bet 5% is pretty close to the amount of people that comp in this niche of the hobby compared to the people that crawl. I mean just think how many Axials alone have been sold and how many of those that will never cross between gate markers.

Ottsix, PitBull, and RC4WD sell to "bashers" AND compers. It's not like only compers are buying these tires and I'm sure PitBull and RC4WD make the overwhelming majority of their money from people that don't comp.

That comment was directed towards the scale snobs that hate large tires not the people complaining these aren't comp legal.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Then don't buy these tires. These tires weren't made for you. It's obvious that ProLine doesn't really care about comps and that's probably because most of the people in this hobby don't care about comps.

Your analogy doesn't even make sense in this case. ProLine isn't making a different "ball". They're just making it a different size. "Why aren't softballs used in an MLB game?" would have made sense.
I think it's perfect actually.. Why need a round ball? If you don't like it then it's just not for you...

Found the irony yet?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Axial SCX10 Deadbolt - Beadlocks - $50 Budget Build - Week 4: http://youtu.be/oBOenEL3eBM

This makes it so you can have any tire you want. Seriously it doesn't take a long time, its pretty convenient actually.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Aside from all the comp talk, liking the new tires. Loved the originals, did good in our multi-terrain environment here in the backwoods of PA - just a little on the small side. Might have to give these a try.

Now, have they changed the bead design yet? My money's on no.

Last edited by OSRC; 02-25-2015 at 10:44 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Okay, for those of us that do not comp, anyone know when the tires might be available?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Soon.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The strange part is Proline lists both height the Flat Iron XL and Swamper XL as 121 mm making them the same height. If you convert 121 mm to inches it comes out to 4.76.
Math doesn't seem to be their specialty.
I guess it's a good thing they aren't using the metric size on the sidewall, for the TSLs anyways.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

My scale rigs, when they are functioning, spend 99.9% of their running time on trails. When I'm running trails with friends I can put any tires I want on the rig and just, you know, have fun.
I comp my scalers too. When I do that I need them to be legal for the class I want to run them in.

What I don't have is a limitless budget. I have to think about what I spend my money on. If there are two tyres available I go for the one I can use on trails and comps. Even if the illegal tyre is a million times better.

This is not whining or being elitist. This is just a fact.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Just get the Axial 1.9" Ripsaws. They work great.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
-this guy
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

No thanks. They look like sh!t and are too small.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Soon.
Well, that's definitive.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #55
Scale Detail Engineering

I think more than 5% comp... just saying, everyone I know that has bought an Axial has comped as soon as they found people to comp with.
The comps are growing bigger and bigger. The TSL XL sold like hotcakes once they released the larger C2 legal size.

That is all I had to say...
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #56
Jus
I wanna be Dave

No matter the size, I always welcome new tires to the scene. The 4.75 rule should be done away with for class 2 anyway, it's silly. Just call it ALL 1.9 factory produced tires legal and stop the fuss over the tire size printed on the sidewall. It's just as absurd to ask them to change it on the sidewall like has been done in the past just so it's legal, that's so stupid I can't even believe it. Makes the rules even more worthless.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
No matter the size, I always welcome new tires to the scene. The 4.75 rule should be done away with for class 2 anyway, it's silly. Just call it ALL 1.9 factory produced tires legal and stop the fuss over the tire size printed on the sidewall. It's just as absurd to ask them to change it on the sidewall like has been done in the past just so it's legal, that's so stupid I can't even believe it. Makes the rules even more worthless.
Can you cut n shut any factory 1.9 tires together to make any tire height you want? 1.9 pitbull rockbeasts cut n shut to 3.8's in c2 baby!

The tire height rule is there to preserve the visual scale aspect of scale crawling. Competitions are to test your skill vs the course and participate in the community... it's not required, it's just an option for enthusiasts.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I don't really get the hostility towards the rules. Are they perfect? No, but a bunch of fellow enthusiasts on this site put them together for everyone to use using input from people that compete with them. I'm not sure how that process could be accomplished in a better way.

Like Meatwad said, it's there so you don't have guys running 8" tires in what's supposed to be a class for trail rigs. I don't see many toyota's out on the trail with 80" tires on 20" wheels.

We use the manufacturer spec because it's a pain-in-the-ass for comp organizers to measure tires to make sure they're legal.

Last edited by Highmark; 02-25-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #59
SuperShafty.com

personally i would say they did this on purpose. i have tons of tires in all classes.

rambling begins now.

in C3. the RB 2's, Swampers, and new tractor tires are all listed at 5.75, but none of them are the same. the Tractor tire is at least 1/4" taller, but still listed at 5.75"

pitbull even changed the original size the 2.2 RB to fit inside SORCA rules. and everyone in the committee knew it. the tire is bigger than 5.75" but the specs says it isn't. now its legal.

I have also foamed up a 4.19 MTZ that sits taller than my 1.9 Rock Beast, (4.55" specs) .

tire height based on specs really is the only way to "reasonably" enforce the SORCCA Rules.

anyway, i'm not buying the tire because i can't use it in any of the big scale comps. there are plenty of other tires that work just as good,

I totally get all you guys who don't follow those rules, and thats fine. in a local comp i would let a guy with these run in C2, but in a national comp it just wouldnt fly.

Proline does what they want, because they can. period. it's not an oversight. it's more of a kick in the nuts.

NEENER NEENER!
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

like mike said, its a kick in the nuts from proline to all of us, i said it in the tsx-xl thread, ill say it here.. they make a good performing product, but they arent measured right, then that wrong number is stated in the advertised specs.. the 2.2 xl is listed as what 5.8"? in reality just a hair shy of 5.5", the 2.2 flat iron is listed as 4.8", but less than 4.5... i wont buy their products not because of rules, but because of false advertising. that these damn tires that cause all these issues over the "size" is rediculous, they say 4.76 on the label but ill bet a TF2 that when they are mounted up they are 1/4" shorter AT LEAST!! other companies make more realistic, better performing, and accurately measured tires. f**k proline
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.01, nerdrage

Proline 1.9 Flat Iron XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
proline flat iron tires iceman320 Chit Chat 16 05-17-2008 06:53 PM