Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Tire compound

Whats the difference between Prolines compounds?

Specifically M2 and M3

I know XL's are made with M3. Is M2 softer,harder,stickier,more like plasticier or what
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57

Specifically M2 and M3

I know XL's are made with M3. Is M2 softer,harder,stickier,more like plasticier or what
It don't matter what compound you put on that 2hp there all goin to smoke!
zukifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukifreak
It don't matter what compound you put on that 2hp there all goin to smoke!

Which will smoke faster though?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #4

Prob. the m3.lol
zukifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #5

Default compounds

team ls.
..gold,hard .
..silver, sticky,longer life..
.red, sticky shorter life/high wear, ..
.pink, as sticky as red compond with life of silvers..

proline
xtr long life.. rock had
m2 similar to losi silvers
m3 similar to losi reds

try this, take 2 ner tires. place them in a big ziplock(no tire foams) and spray with simple green.. llet sit 2-3 days..will soften up majjorly....or for 2-4 run tired use a medium reducer( out side super stinky) a will be like gum on a hot day!!! changed tire hard ness about 5-8 points on the shore measurement!! we do this on indoor offroad tracks that have blue grooved...
gabbyb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Thanks......just trying to plan my next tire creation

This new motor is eating my XL's QUICK!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Specifically M2 and M3

XL's are actually M2 compound.

R3 (Similar to M3 but will last much longer, slightly firmer)
M2 Very soft, sticky
M3 Even softer and stickier
XTR Firmer than M2 but still very sticky.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
XL's are actually M2 compound.

R3 (Similar to M3 but will last much longer, slightly firmer)
M2 Very soft, sticky
M3 Even softer and stickier
XTR Firmer than M2 but still very sticky.
Hmmm,I've always thought they were M3. O'well Thanks Dirk

Kinda narrows up my choices to pick from to build my idea,but doesn't change my idea much. Should be a kick a$$ tire when it's finished.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
RCC Addict

screw those all ya got enough power to run some wheelbarrow tires
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
screw those all ya got enough power to run some wheelbarrow tires
Who said anything about running a stock tire? Stock tires SUCK.....ALL of them. I think they need to start offering tire kits. Tire kits should come with 8 sidewalls of the desired wheel size that will allow up to a 10" tall tire. Then come with a selection of tread blocks and a variety of tread sections to build up to four 10" tall tires complete,with sidebiters and all.

THAT would be perfect.

How many crawler tires are left stock? Not many. Don't they see that crawlers just take their tires and cut them all to crap anyway? Honestly,I think a tire kit would sell bigtime around here.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That is a very interesting idea.
The technology to do what you propose is readily available, it's actually a very old process called vulcanizing. You can get vulcanizing fluid in any bike tube patch kit. The simplest explanation I can think of is welding rubber, that's pretty much what you are doing.
The stumbling block in this idea is the expense of having the kit pieces you propose manufactured. You might have an easier time finding someone to make you a slick "carcass" vs. pieces that you would have to assemble. Although being able to determine your own sidewall height would be good. If you were careful about assembly, the results would be acceptable. Then you are free to construct any tread blocks you want and stick them to the outside.
When I was racing downhill bikes, it got to the point where guys were using wire knives to alter stock tires for specific situations. I've been wondering how I could construct a scaled-down mini wire knife to alter rc tires.
It would be easy to wire-knife a tire down to a slick carcass and rebuild it to suit your needs.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
That is a very interesting idea.
The technology to do what you propose is readily available, it's actually a very old process called vulcanizing. You can get vulcanizing fluid in any bike tube patch kit. The simplest explanation I can think of is welding rubber, that's pretty much what you are doing..
Theres really no need in any fancy technology or high tech procedure here. We have CA glue and Goop. Thats all thats needed. The only tire I have thats close to stock are my Moab XL's. They are,IMHO,to wide for crawlers in stock form. I took 5/8" out of the center and they work alot better now. The other sets of tires I have to choose from.....have different/swapped out sidewalls,different tread sections,added tread sections,added sidebiters and narrowed width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
The stumbling block in this idea is the expense of having the kit pieces you propose manufactured. You might have an easier time finding someone to make you a slick "carcass" vs. pieces that you would have to assemble. Although being able to determine your own sidewall height would be good. If you were careful about assembly, the results would be acceptable.
Stumbling block......expense??????

For a company like Proline or IMEX......the cost of making a kit like this available to us,would be pocket change to them. About like me getting change from my ashtray for the soda machine. I'd say the cost of the "tire kit" would most definity be higher than a premade set of tires,and should be by every right. There would be more material,more labor and time putting the kit together for the customer.

Lets just say for example....the kit would cost between $80 and $100 depending on the wheel size it's designed for. Billy Joe Bob wants to buy a new set of tires for his crawler and is looking at a set of XL's. XL's seem to have an average price of $60-$70 for a full set at most places. Well,Billy Joe Bob sees a "tire kit" on the shelf next to the tires for $90. He can spend an extra $20 and build a taylored set of tires to fit his particular set up and to his specs to the tee,even choose the wheel size he wants to run his tires on. Would he buy the kit?

He'd be a dummy not to.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Then you run into the built vs bought debate. Most people are too lazy to even put together a stock kit, much less fabricate anything. RTR does kill the sport, yet rule it at the same time. I personally would love a tire kit. It would probably have enough materials to make 2 full sets of 2.2s haha.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus
Then you run into the built vs bought debate.

Simple answer to ANY debate.....Run what you brung......unless it's your mouth.

Quote:
Most people are too lazy to even put together a stock kit, much less fabricate anything. RTR does kill the sport, yet rule it at the same time.
Is there a RTR crawler out there? Nope. How can it kill the sport if theres no RTR crawlers

Quote:
I personally would love a tire kit. It would probably have enough materials to make 2 full sets of 2.2s haha.
The kit would come with 8 sidewalls. How can you build 2 sets of tires with a kit that only has 8 sidewalls?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Is there a RTR crawler out there? Nope. How can it kill the sport if theres no RTR crawlers
With all the chassis and parts it might as well be. But I was speaking in general, not solely tires, or crawlers, or even RC. Why make something yourself when you can buy it is the mentality of many people. Not mine personally.

Quote:
The kit would come with 8 sidewalls. How can you build 2 sets of tires with a kit that only has 8 sidewalls?
True, DOH!
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Easy, it doesn't exist. just use your imagination.
The Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muscle

Easy, it doesn't exist. just use your imagination.