Notices

Thread: Crawler Innovations Reviews the RC4WD 2.2 Bully Comp Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #21
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Crawler Innovations Reviews the RC4WD 2.2 Bully Comp Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannko View Post
This thread is quite old, but I still wonder if it is worth it to trim and vent the bully comp tires? Is there really a big difference in climbing/crawling capability? Especially on smooth and slippery rocks
Maybe its just me but I haven't noticed huge differences in the videos, I'm new to this comp thing.

Yes. Anytime you can soften the tire and open up the lug spacing for better traction, it's worth the time. Removing any internal ribbing from the tire helps.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #22

What CI foam do you recommend for the stock comp bully2 tires?
crawlmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #23
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlmachine View Post
What CI foam do you recommend for the stock comp bully2 tires?

Did you read through the thread or skim the pictures? It's already listed in this thread. If you want it personalized for your rig, you need to know RTR weight, wheel width, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Foams; here's what CI used;

CWR-1044
5.25" Double Deuce
Comp Cut Inners
Soft Outers
1" Width 6 Bolt Wheels

CWR-1065
5.0 Double Deuce
Comp Cut Inner
Medium Outer
1" Width 6 Bolt Wheels

..Uploaded from the lab @ the C.I. Compound...
Old 12-02-2018, 04:30 AM   #24
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Nice write up on the foams and the tires. I was wondering how much difference it makes removing pins and you say it realy woke them up. I have a 5thD chassis at 4 lbs 4 oz. I am wondering if you would choose a different cut on the tires or a different foam. I run the stock Bully 2 beadlocks, I believe they are 1 inch wide. I have been tempted to try these tires as Voodoos are hard to find. I either run Sedonas or Rovers syped with comp cut inners soft fronts and med rear outers, no tuning rings but 5.5 diameter slightly narrowed. My rigs being lighter may not have the same performance but I realy want to try these tires. Would you recomend the same setup as the 1inch wide 6bolts? I am ready to order me some new tires and foams I think.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Nice write up on the foams and the tires. I was wondering how much difference it makes removing pins and you say it realy woke them up. I have a 5thD chassis at 4 lbs 4 oz. I am wondering if you would choose a different cut on the tires or a different foam. I run the stock Bully 2 beadlocks, I believe they are 1 inch wide. I have been tempted to try these tires as Voodoos are hard to find. I either run Sedonas or Rovers syped with comp cut inners soft fronts and med rear outers, no tuning rings but 5.5 diameter slightly narrowed. My rigs being lighter may not have the same performance but I realy want to try these tires. Would you recomend the same setup as the 1inch wide 6bolts? I am ready to order me some new tires and foams I think.

The VooDoo pin tire is far superior to the bully pin. I prefer the gold and silver compounds of the VooDoo pin. I also prefer to narrow my VooDoo pins. So if you're on a budget, the VooDoo pin is worth saving up for, over the Bully pin.

The main drawback to the bully pin is the tire wall thickness. The tire could be softer if there was less rubber. Yes, some people sand the inside of the tire away to make it more pliable, but it's time and labor for an average tire. The Sedona and Rover in the white compound, with the sidewalls lugs removed and sanded, along with grooving in the tread patterns, will yield far greater performance than a set of these bully pins.

We only run 6 Bolts on our comp rigs, so I am very biased. Also the CI 6 bolt allows for a lot of knuckle weight clearance, front and rear. I think it's also the lightest wheel, but I am not 100% certain about that.

At 4lbs 4oz, I am thinking the 5.5 Double Deuce you are using would be to large, resulting in a semi stiff tire at that weight. However, it would offer a lot of sidehill stability. It becomes personal preference once you know your tire, terrain and rtr weight. I've been experimenting with soft outers in the rear tires with a larger inner. The truck seems to hop less.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Foams; here's what CI used;

CWR-1044
5.25 Double Deuce
Comp Cut Inners
Soft Outers
1.50" 6 Bolt Wheel
Front

CWR-1045
5.25 Double Deuce
Comp Cut Inners
Medium Outers
1.50" 6 Bolt Wheels
Rear

CWR-1044
5.25" Double Deuce
Comp Cut Inners
Soft Outers
1" Width 6 Bolt Wheels

CWR-1065
5.0 Double Deuce
Comp Cut Inner
Medium Outer
1" Width 6 Bolt Wheels
I bought the foams listed above for 1" wheels, to use with the Bully2 kit wheels and something seems off. I know my wheels are 7/8" bead to bead, which explains why the beads are tight, but my real issue is the big bulging ring around the middle of the sidewall at the outer edge of the closed cell (1" at the wheel, 2" at the middle of the sidewall, 1 1/2" at the tread face.) What's the most efficient way to buzz that ridge down on the closed cell (Hobby knife? Flap disc on the grinder?) to get back down to the 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" mounted width I had originally?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #27
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I bought the foams listed above for 1" wheels, to use with the Bully2 kit wheels and something seems off. I know my wheels are 7/8" bead to bead, which explains why the beads are tight, but my real issue is the big bulging ring around the middle of the sidewall at the outer edge of the closed cell (1" at the wheel, 2" at the middle of the sidewall, 1 1/2" at the tread face.) What's the most efficient way to buzz that ridge down on the closed cell (Hobby knife? Flap disc on the grinder?) to get back down to the 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" mounted width I had originally?

Flap disc on the grinder will make quick work of reshaping the side profile.

A sanding drum on a dremel works well too.

If you take your time, you can reshape the side profile to your liking.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Thanks, the flap disc took care of it fast, without looking like it was cut with a rusty steak knife!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler Innovations Reviews the RC4WD 2.2 Bully Comp Tire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc4wd bully 2.2 comp tire tapped-out Tires and Wheels 20 07-20-2016 09:47 AM
Crawler Innovations Khaos-Rover Comp Tire Szczerba Tires and Wheels 192 05-11-2012 12:11 PM
Crawler Innovations 1.9 IROK scale comp tire & Lil' Nova Foams Nova's Ark Tires and Wheels 6 03-01-2012 02:15 PM
-- Crawler Innovations - 4" Tall, 1.9 Comp, Panther SC Raptor Pin Tire Cut N Shut -- Nova's Ark Tires and Wheels 9 10-02-2011 10:14 AM
Crawler Innovations Block Comp Tire Szczerba Tires and Wheels 84 09-14-2011 04:21 PM