Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Crawler innovations tire foam question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Crawler innovations tire foam question

I added a set of Axial 1.9 BFG Krawler tired to my gmade sawback and the axial foams are entirely too soft for the truck. I didn't measure the truck but I'm saying its at least 6-7lb range maybe a little more once I add a driver and some scale accessories. Anyways the tires do nothing but fold under the wheel as soon as I drive the truck, right now the truck is sitting because of how bad the tire foams are at supporting the truck and I'm in no position to see my new five lug wagon wheels being destroyed because there is no support to protect them. So I've called crawler innovations three times and left messages with my return info but haven't gotten a call back in two weeks, right now I'm confused on to what foam insert to get and hopefully you guys can help me. I live in south jersey and drive on mostly woods trails, grainy sand, and occasionally shallow mud. I'm thinking about the deuces wild cwr-3008 foam but I'm not sure if the height is good enough for the Krawler tires now what density they are?
My second choice is the lil nova cwr-2030 in firm density. Problem is I'm not sure if they will be too large because it stats 4.7-5" tire range and Krawler are 4.7" so the foams might stuff the tire too much. If it will I'll have to go with the cwr-2020 in firm cuz the are for 4.3-4.625" tires??? Any input would be greatly appreciated so I can get some proper foams ordered so I can drive my truck again
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Crawler innovations tire foam question

You don't want any dead space between the tire and foam so I go with the 4.7-5 inch foams in a medium outer. Your truck doesn't weigh enough to need firm outers unless that's your preference. If you want some tire deflection I'd go with the mediums. JMO
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Anything stiffer than stock axial foams. I run both double deuces and deuces wild on 2 different sets and have success. If you run in the wet get the DW.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said j just had proline TSL on the sawback for two months with the stock TSL foam and the tire was perfect for side hulking etc. the sidewalk bulged but never rolled over and it did support the truck okish. If the medium CI foams will do the same or slightly better I'll get them, if not I'll go firm?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Got an email today from Eddie and was suggested to buy the cwr-2020 lil nova in whatever density I'd prefer... So now I'm conflicted on that foam because it's .05 too short for my Krawlers on paper but it's so minimal it most likely will do nothing but I'm still lost on the density? I know my sawback isn't super heavy but I'm still leaning towards firm foams?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So I just received my foams from CI and inside is a paper saying you have to drill three to four 2mm holes into your wheels so the foams can flex properly. That's ok since I don't run in water rarely but do I really have too?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
So I just received my foams from CI and inside is a paper saying you have to drill three to four 2mm holes into your wheels so the foams can flex properly. That's ok since I don't run in water rarely but do I really have too?
All CI Double Deuce (Dual stage) foams were designed to work with vented tires. It's not mandatory but the foam will not function 100% as designed with a sealed tire setup. Each person's rig and crawling style is different so you can ultimately do what you want. Try them sealed up and see how it crawls, if you like it, leave it, if not, punch some holes in the tires.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:15 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yea brand new wagon wheels and brand new tires at what $120 dollars..not ready to think about drilling holes in either of them. But I'll see how it yes with no holes for a while and I'll go from there. Thank you for the input
Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

After trying many different foams and CI foams, i prefer the CI DW foams for all my tires, punch few small holes in tires to vent, don't drill the wheels ( I used to do this).
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Cwr-2020 foams in firm even though they list shorter than the tire are WAY larger than the tire. Literally had to lube them suckers to get them stuffed into the tire, the inner foam is holding 90% of the tire up. The outter foam is there just for a little "flex" it seems to me? Only ran it in the living room and its nice that the sidewall isnt folding under itself. Also couldnt make myself drill holes in my brand new wheels and tires so ill see how it goes
Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Put a couple rubber bands around your tire when you mount them. It will keep the ballooning to a minimum and help the foam flex. I do this and it works wonders.
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

With my XL Swampys, I run the Deuces Wild foams. I have a dead space, tires are vented. This combo flat out works for everything I've thrown at it, no matter the terrain or conditions. I modified my foams slightly to soften them up, and they are awesome.
Hotrodvw is offline   Reply With Quote

Crawler innovations tire foam question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations Foam break in Hotrodvw Tires and Wheels 24 04-21-2014 11:24 PM
Crawler Innovations 1.9 Single Stage Foam GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 94 10-01-2010 11:05 PM
Crawler Innovations 1.9 foam testing scatterbrains Tires and Wheels 10 08-23-2010 04:02 PM