Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: SSD 1.9" STEEL D HOLE WHEELS question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SSD 1.9" STEEL D HOLE WHEELS question

Hello,
Do you get a special tool from SSD for the SSD 1.9" STEEL D HOLE WHEELS?
Thanks
desertdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SSD 1.9" STEEL D HOLE WHEELS question

You don't need one. They are internal beadlocks. The exterior ring is just for looks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
madtinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Cool, thanks
desertdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Here's one apart.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
madtinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

The external ring is not "just for looks", it's the outer bead lock. You will need the 2mm scale bolt tool or any decent 2mm nut driver to make sure all the bolts are tight and to apply thread locker to each one (as per SSD recommendation) so they don't loosen up while in service. If the rings were purely cosmetic/decorative you could remove them and the wheels would still hold a tire. But you can't, remove the ring and the tire comes off.

I had several bolts that were not fully seated on each of the four SSD 2.2" 8-hole wheels I bought for my Wraith. I opted to remove all the scale bolts in favor of socket cap screws.

You don't have to remove the lock ring to install tires, just separate the wheel halves as seen above, but you'll need something to tighten or possibly replace the lock ring bolts.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:41 AM   #6

I received my ssd Trail bead locks the other day. I definitely recommend removing all the scale bolts on the bead lock itself and lock tight it. Two fell out just driving around in my house and quite a few were loose. I used the ssd nut driver adapter thing but the bolts can get rounded easily so be careful. You have to buy them separately. Other than that, the wheels are awesome. Looks great and has a tight fit on my axial trepadors. I'll be ordering the tsl xl soon so I'll have to see how they work with those.
Also, SSD sent me extra scale bolts with each pair of wheels so if you do lose some, you will have extra. And yes, they are not just for looks. The bolts actually keep the outer ring in place to function as a beadlock.

Last edited by THX_138; 12-23-2015 at 09:06 AM.
DLeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:57 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

I had the same problem with the tools slipping over the bolt heads, it's why I installed the socket screws. I was able to run the socket screws down to 40 oz-in on one wheel, but chose to stop pushing it there. It was well over the torque needed for the rings especially with the socket heads being a larger diameter. So I backed them all down to 26 oz-in. With the scale bolts I could barely get 10 oz-in before the tools slipped.

Last edited by Eric0424; 12-21-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

I think I rounded three or four. I don't intend on loosening them ever so hope they just stay on. Next set of wheels, I might change it to the socket heads. That looks good too. What size are those and where did you find them?
DLeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeTT View Post
Also, SSD sent me extra scale bolts with each pair of wheels so if you do lose some, you will have extra. And yes, they are not just for looks. The bolts actually keep the outer ring in place to function as a beadlock.
I used a 3x10 buttonhead screw installed into an old Axial aluminum link with red Loctite, then slipped some large automotive vacuum line over the Axial link for grip. That is my tool for the tiny scale bolts, fits great, high grade steel, and the screw can be easily and cheaply replaced if it ever gets messed up. I didn't round a single screw on my SSD wheels when I removed, Loctited and reinstalled all the tiny scale bolts.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I used a 3x10 buttonhead screw installed into an old Axial aluminum link with red Loctite, then slipped some large automotive vacuum line over the Axial link for grip. That is my tool for the tiny scale bolts, fits great, high grade steel, and the screw can be easily and cheaply replaced if it ever gets messed up. I didn't round a single screw on my SSD wheels when I removed, Loctited and reinstalled all the tiny scale bolts.

It's the solutions that are right in front of you! That's genius Natedog! 2mm indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Delbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I haven't read every reply, but figured I'd weigh in here.
Instead of using the SSD tool and stripping the bolts out, just use an M3 bolt, a cap head works best, turn it upside down and it's a perfect free tool that fits right onto the tiny scale bolts and won't strip them out if you use a 10.9 oe 12.9 grade bolt.
It's a little hard to grip them, so I just put mine into some small mole grips and it worked perfect.
Figured this might help some folks having trouble.

Last edited by Oh How Original; 01-02-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #12

/\ this FTW, use a M3 bolt, and install two nuts on it, tighten the jam nuts together and bam, now you can use an ordinary socket...as said earlier, the beadlock nuts are small and will strip easily. Same goes for the hub bolts!
Micro_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

m3 button head all the way, I have the SSD tool and hate it. Much prefer the M3 bolt, and its easily replaced.
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i also love the ingenuity of using a button head screw. ok but whats the best way to vent these wheels?
lzysmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

one method is to drill two holes in the clamp ring and two in the rear half of the wheel, some prefer to vent the tires with a leather hole punch or soldering iron instead of drilling the wheels

the M3 button head screw works much better on the scale bolts than most 2mm nut drivers, was shown that little trick 6-7 months ago and haven't used the 2mm nut driver or scale bolt tools since

Last edited by Soldat Vaillant; 02-16-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

thanks for the response, Soldat Vaillant. ill try drilling the clamping ring and the wheel.
lzysmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzysmrf View Post
i also love the ingenuity of using a button head screw. ok but whats the best way to vent these wheels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldat Vaillant View Post
one method is to drill two holes in the clamp ring and two in the rear half of the wheel, some prefer to vent the tires with a leather hole punch or soldering iron instead of drilling the wheels...
I used to vent wheels, but have since found it easier, faster and better to use leather punch and vent tires as Eddie at Crawler Innovations recommends!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD 1.9" STEEL D HOLE WHEELS question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More New SSD 1.9 Steel Wheels SSD Tires and Wheels 24 12-10-2015 07:33 AM