Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Looking for foam help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Looking for foam help

Hey guys, I recently installed a set of PB Growlers with 5.25 DD foams with medium outers on Proline Faultline bead locks. After a short time running this happened:

The inner foams seem to stay put, but the outer walks all over the place. Is this something that CI tuning discs will solve? This is the first time I've run into this and have no idea how to solve it!

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my Jitterbug
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Looking for foam help

Some people recommend gluing the inner to the outer but I would wait on a more experienced person to chime in before permanent modification.
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you are not already using C.I. Comp cut inner try them. The groves in the inner foam help stop the outer foams from migrating from side to side.
Attachment 333833

You can cut groves the the non-comp cut foams your self.

Last edited by Tom G; 08-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input guys!

As a side note, these Growlers work fantastic on the rocks, I'm quite impressed and cant wait to to get this minor issue resolved!

I just sent CI an email with this same question, maybe I'm using the wrong foams.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Are you venting the tires or not? I've seen that issue more with a non-vented tire.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The wheels are vented, it might not be ideal but I bore a hole (cautiously) through the existing holes in the wheel all the way to the outer foam.
I just can't bring myself to cut the rubber!

Sent from my Jitterbug
Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

LOL, buy yourself a leather punch tool and use the smallest setting. I usually put three holes in my tires, all in the center of the tire in between the tread and try to spread the holes out evenly around the tire. I've never had an issue with tearing tire because I vented them.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I run a 1/8 scale Tekno EB48.3 on 4S as one of my race RC buggy's.

I've vented the tires with a leather ho,e punch, I've never had a tire rip apart from venting.

I did have 4 tires shred themselves once, but that's because I put a 6S battery from one one of my helicopters in the EB. Wanted to exactly how fast I could get it to go. Hit the throttle, the car squatted jumped off the line and within maybe 6-8 feet pieces of tires were going everywhere.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I guess my concern with venting the tire is due to the fact that some of the trials we run have some shallow standing water, I feel that with a vented tire you WILL introduce water to the foam, whereas with a vented wheel you have the height of the tire/wheel before introducing any. I know it might be splitting hairs but that's my OCD kicking in!!
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

You could always go with a CI Deuces Wild setup with vented tires, they're closed cell and water wouldn't be an issue. I used this setup on multiple 2.2 rigs and was quite happy.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That's a pretty good idea, I might give them a try as I've never run a set of them before.

Sent from my Jitterbug
Old 01-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
I guess my concern with venting the tire is due to the fact that some of the trials we run have some shallow standing water, I feel that with a vented tire you WILL introduce water to the foam, whereas with a vented wheel you have the height of the tire/wheel before introducing any. I know it might be splitting hairs but that's my OCD kicking in!!

I'm with you ... I use ci dual stage and afraid of getting water in them plus I run omf's on proline tsl and they are a bastard to get apart and air out ... Plus I'm ocd about cleaning my tires after every run so the foams would get soaked ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sirbuildsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default Looking for foam help

Well....I tried using 2 sided tape between the foams, didn't seem to help.
A buddy has a set of Deuces Wild that he'll let me try before I buy any more foams, being in the Northeast crawling season is on hold for a bit so I'm in no hurry (time to dig out the snow tires!!)
Old 01-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I use rubber cement to fix the outer foam to the closed cell inner. I also tried the 2 sided tape. Both worked well. The cement is much easier. I just put the foam inner and outer together. Then lifted the outer off the inner and brushed the glue in.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking of venting my tires. I see in the above threads that water incursion has been brought up? I don't do a whole lot of wet crawling, but there are a few little water / creek crossings on my backyard course. How much water incursion can I expect if vent. (3 holes with a small punch as mentioned above) I'm running 2.2 R35 Trepadors. I do not have closed cell foams in them.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
You could always go with a CI Deuces Wild setup with vented tires, they're closed cell and water wouldn't be an issue. I used this setup on multiple 2.2 rigs and was quite happy.
This....CI DW foams in all my crawlers and vent tires with leather punch on smallest setting...about 2mm, three to four holes in each tires depending on size of tire as recommended by CI>

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
I used to be like that...overly OCD, now I usually keep it in check. But I'm also not into just driving through deep mud and water just because it's there either.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Well...I tried using two sided tape between the foams and its a slight improvement. Its almost as though the foam's I have are a bit too small, the tire feels a bit "loose". A buddy has a set of Deuces wild single stage he's gonna let me try before I buy new foams or further modify these. I'm super excited about these tires, they hook up REALLY well, cant wait to see what happens when I get the foams figured out!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Single stages are really nice they make an RC tire look like a 1:1 tire, and they can be used for faster purposes.

For growlers, I'd've chosen 5.5 tall DD foams. Depending on the weight of the RC, you should end up with soft/front-medium/rear, or medium/front-firm/rear. The whole reason for the different outer foams from front to back is the weight transition to the rear when your RC (wraith) starts climbing. You don't want the rears to fold over from the sight of you RC.

I have 1.55 growlers, and 1.9 growlers, and I believe I use the same DD combo in either set of tire, to their respective sizes.

As for venting the tire, Do it! The centrifugal force from lifting you RC off the ground and throttle spinning your tires will clean most of the water out of you vented tires, if you vent the rim then that same centrifugal force doesn't allow any water to escape from the inside of the rim/wheel.

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 02-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

You might be right about the 5.5 version, maybe the ones I'm running are a bit too small, I can see where that would cause symptoms like what I'm having.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
If you are not already using C.I. Comp cut inner try them. The groves in the inner foam help stop the outer foams from migrating from side to side.
Attachment 333833

You can cut groves the the non-comp cut foams your self.
I have a set of comp cut lil novas for the front wheels but my rears are standard cut, any tips on how to get (like any specific tools to help out the process) those grooves into the foam and looking good like that? Thanks
wsmb is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for foam help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deuce's Wild XL Foam Pair; 3.8" ID; Yeti XL Foam / BFG Krawler Tire Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 12 08-31-2015 08:20 AM
Axials with standard foam Vs Losi with Memory foam - bounce test Mud Puppy Tires and Wheels 3 10-24-2010 11:10 AM
Nova foam vs. Proline 2 stage oversize foam sbarnesvta Tires and Wheels 36 05-07-2010 09:04 AM
do i trim the memory foam like i did the reg foam with the stock tires? bmuenter Tires and Wheels 8 08-15-2008 08:59 PM