Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #261
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires

Spent 5 hours running my new 1.9 Deep Woods tires on Sunday. I ran them with CI Lil Nova 4.75" soft comp cut for the front and medium comp cut rear with SSD steel wheels on my Carisma Coyote. Wow these tires worked great on the trails all day long with no wear. It was a little damp in the morning and drying out as the day went on. Truck crawled great on the rocks, tree roots and dirt. Running at a location I have been two 4 or 5 times I was able to try lines that I have tried before and found the ones I didn't make before I was now able to make. Had a few areas where my buddies TRX4 and SCX10 couldn't make but I was able to do so overall for the price I'm very happy as they worked as good or better than my much higher priced tires.

wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #262
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Spent 5 hours running my new 1.9 Deep Woods tires on Sunday. I ran them with CI Lil Nova 4.75" soft comp cut for the front and medium comp cut rear with SSD steel wheels on my Carisma Coyote. Wow these tires worked great on the trails all day long with no wear. It was a little damp in the morning and drying out as the day went on. Truck crawled great on the rocks, tree roots and dirt. Running at a location I have been two 4 or 5 times I was able to try lines that I have tried before and found the ones I didn't make before I was now able to make. Had a few areas where my buddies TRX4 and SCX10 couldn't make but I was able to do so overall for the price I'm very happy as they worked as good or better than my much higher priced tires.

And they look good with the Coyote’s body style.👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #263
wyd
Rock Crawler

Thanks dezfan.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #264
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Not much feedback on the Scalers here. They look closest to the Canyon Trails regarding tread design and size. The Deep Woods are more like the Super Swampers. Given the excellent performance of the DW's I'd expect the Scaler to perform well too.

Last edited by JC3; 06-04-2019 at 08:24 AM.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #265
Rock Stacker

I have ran a few of their different threads on my HPI Venture (duratrax are being sold as Louise RC over here in Sweden though) and I've found them to be extremely good value!
The ones I've tried are Griffin (same as duratrax scaler), Champ (same as duratrax deep woods) and Rowdy (same as showdown).

For my driving/in my opinion the Showdown/Rowdy seems to be the best "allround". Great traction on lose surfaces and in mud but also really sticky on rocks and gets good grip over ledges etc. Only let down for me is that I'm not a fan of how they look!

Deepwoods/Champ are really good too, but I feel that the thread gets cloged up a bit faster than on the Showdown/Rowdy.

Scaler/Griffin works decent on rocks and stuff like that and looks more "scale" but pretty useless in mud and loose surfaces.

My HPI Venture yesterday with the LouiseRC Rowdy's on.

MartinKyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #266
wyd
Rock Crawler

MartinKyx I totally agree with you. The Showdown/Rowdy work great all around and clean out better in the wet muddier conditions. I don't really car for mud but when I got out and trails are a little wet I use these tires. Hard to beat for the money.

The Deepwoods/Champ for me worked fantastic in the drier conditions on the trails and the rocks. They do clog up and don't clear out as fast as the Showdown/Rowdy do but if you run in the dry, woods and rocks to me they're an excellent tire. I use Crawler Innovations Lil'Nova's in both. I have no complaints with them other than might be even better if the tire had a little ribbing inside to stiffen them up some but all in all I really like running these tires.

Last edited by wyd; 06-14-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:45 AM   #267
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
MartinKyx I totally agree with you. The Showdown/Rowdy work great all around and clean out better in the wet muddier conditions. I don't really car for mud but when I got out and trails are a little wet I use these tires. Hard to beat for the money.

The Deepwoods/Champ for me worked fantastic in the drier conditions on the trails and the rocks. They do clog up and don't clear out as fast as the Showdown/Rowdy do but if you run in the dry, woods and rocks to me they're an excellent tire. I use Crawler Innovations Lil'Nova's in both. I have no complaints with them other than might be even better if the tire had a little ribbing inside to stiffen them up some but all in all I really like running these tires.

I've actually only ran mine with the stock foam wich have worked great for me so far
MartinKyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #268
Pebble Pounder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVTr...SW4qiefVB_1U9I

Not so bad for a "not so good tire" in my opinion. Louise are same as duratrax
Traildriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #269
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildriver View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVTr...SW4qiefVB_1U9I

Not so bad for a "not so good tire" in my opinion. Louise are same as duratrax
As we can see, a dog is a better crawler than a RedCat GEN8

I ordered Louise RC Griffin with dual density foams for my VS4-10 Pro, I'll see if it's as good as it seems to be
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
Stick with top quality tires from companies who actually support and are deeply involved in the hobby...Pitbull, Proline, Ottsix, RC4WD....CHEAP IS EXPENSIVE

Wait... didn't I read somewhere that Injora (China) was making some of Ottsix's tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
That's because they're not a competitor...the other companies I mentioned are though
Well, there are some good videos comparing the Deepwoods to the KLR, so...
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #271
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
Wait... didn't I read somewhere that Injora (China) was making some of Ottsix's tires?

Well, there are some good videos comparing the Deepwoods to the KLR, so...
There is a company using their molds yes and they've left all the branding on the sidewall even though its not Ottsix producing them. It also been said that they are not the same compound.

This was discussed pretty in depth in this thread Has anyone tried the INJORA KLRs?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-25-2019 at 02:42 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:31 AM   #272

I got the premounted Deep Woods. Anyone know how to get the tyre off the wheel. I don’t want to melt the wheel with acetone!
Sixtys Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 AM   #273
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtys Guy View Post
I got the premounted Deep Woods. Anyone know how to get the tyre off the wheel. I don’t want to melt the wheel with acetone!
Bake them in the oven or boil them in water
This will loosen the CA glue and you will eventually pull them off the wheels.

It's much better to buy tires and wheels separately

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Bake them in the oven or boil them in water
This will loosen the CA glue and you will eventually pull them off the wheels.

It's much better to buy tires and wheels separately

Someone already told me they tried boiling them but it just made the rubber go funky. Did you have any problem doing that, or if baking them, what temperature and for how long?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #275
I wanna be Dave

Default Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires

You can freeze some tire glues. Some become brittle but some don’t.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #276
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtys Guy View Post
Someone already told me they tried boiling them but it just made the rubber go funky. Did you have any problem doing that, or if baking them, what temperature and for how long?
I never did it, always buy aluminium beadlocks and tires

But I heard it works from my many Facebook crawling groups.
Maybe do some research on it

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #277
RCC Addict

My neighbor and my cousin both baked off their premounted deepwoods with no damage to any of the tires/wheels/foams... other than the fact that most of the hex's were already stripped. One set is now glued to Crawler Innovations 6 bolt wheels, and the other is now on aluminum beadlocks.

Baking has been my preferred method too, especially since the risk of scalding yourself with hot water is not something I'd care to take. 325-350° for 15-20 minutes and they should pop right off the wheels. If not, put them in for another 5 minutes and try again.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:31 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
My neighbor and my cousin both baked off their premounted deepwoods with no damage to any of the tires/wheels/foams... other than the fact that most of the hex's were already stripped. One set is now glued to Crawler Innovations 6 bolt wheels, and the other is now on aluminum beadlocks.

Baking has been my preferred method too, especially since the risk of scalding yourself with hot water is not something I'd care to take. 325-350° for 15-20 minutes and they should pop right off the wheels. If not, put them in for another 5 minutes and try again.
Cheers mate, that’s exactly what I was after!
Old 12-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #279
Quarry Creeper

Default Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires

I’ve been running some Champs on my 2.9kg trail rig for about a year now. Really happy with them still. With stock foams.
Will order some CI foams when they die. We have a mix of sandstone, limestone, sand, woods and just general rock here. They just work. I don’t run my rigs through water or mud so don’t know how they’ll do i that. I also think that anything heavier than what I’m running will be a problem for the tires.

Last edited by HugoBiermann; 12-22-2019 at 08:23 AM.
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #280
Rock Stacker

Ran the Deep Woods on my TRX4 Blazer and they perform VERY well! These are my first set of Duratrax. I would say these Deep woods perform better than the Hydrax G8 that are on my Scout. The Deep Woods are SUPER soft, and offer amazing traction on wood, rocks, and snow. They look a bit puncture prone, so I just gotta be careful on sharp edges.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Duratrax 1.9/2.2 Scale Tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New scale wheels and tires from Duratrax TwistedXT Tires and Wheels 11 07-17-2010 02:20 AM
Axial Scx10 and Duratrax Scale Run ebbet Scale Videos! 3 01-28-2010 09:01 PM
Duratrax Warhead tires mulchman Tires and Wheels 1 03-01-2007 03:29 PM