Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcore Alien compound review and video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcore Alien compound review and video

I was at the PitBull Tires Super Series Mega-Cup Intergalactic Nationals of the Universe, aka Recon G6 at Blue Rocks Family Campground in Lenhartsville, PA (thanks for that mouthful, Parker ) last weekend and was fortunate enough to get the opportunity for some extended wheel time with the new Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcore tires with Alien Puppy Kompound. The tires are still 3-4 weeks away from shipping, so it was quite a treat to get to run them for a full 100-gate stage. Big thanks to Desmond and the folks at Pit Bull for the opportunity.

For starters, hats off in a big way to Put Bull for bringing this new tire to the scale scene. From the basic specs, you can tell that Pit Bull means business:
- 4.05" OD
- 1.25" width
- New Pit Bull foams designed specifically for this tire
- Alien Kompound (their stickiest)
- Ultra scale tread pattern to match the 1:1 PBX A/T Hardcore tire

To put these through their paces, I ran them on my GCM J2 Skeleton with China Jeep body. The basic setup includes GCM's Terramod axles, HH Puller Pro Stubby 3300 with HH BLE ESC on 3S, 90mm RC4WD RRD Emulsions in front, and Dinky RC cantilevers in the rear. I usually run RC4WD 1.9" Kryptons with X2SS tires unweighted on GCM 12-spoke beadlocks. The Kryptons are an excellent C1 tire in a wide range of conditions, and I love their aggressive look. I had already run that setup on 3 stages (250 gates) at that event, so this was the perfect C1 rig to test out the new Pit Bulls. The set I tried was installed on Pit Bull's new glue-on vented wheels with stock foams and 2 oz of lead rope in each front tire.

So how did they do? Extremely well, I must say. Performance was eye-opening, particularly given the narrow width and highly scale tread pattern. Grip was terrific in a wide range of conditions, from wet rocks and leaves to loose dirt on a steep hill climb. The tires had no problem transitioning from mud to slippery rocks without needing spin cycles to clear. Side hill performance was another pleasant surprise for such a skinny tire running stock foams. Even on extreme side hills (one of this rig's strengths), fold over was very manageable and the tires just kept gripping. Overall, I was very impressed. This is definitely a tire that will look great in a show-and-shine and then go out to tear it up in a comp. Bravo, Pit Bull, for a great addition to the scale scene!

The only bummer to the day was having to give them back. But no worries, as I look forward to getting my hands on a set (or 3, lol) once they're released.

Here are a few pix with the new Pit Bulls:
Name:  DSC00207.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  183.9 KB

Name:  DSC00210.jpg
Views: 2287
Size:  182.7 KB

Name:  DSC00214.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  180.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6429.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  179.5 KB

Here's what it looks like with my usual setup for comparison:
Name:  IMG_6403.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  156.6 KB
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcore Alien compound review and video

For YouTube fans, here's a link to a video review and chat with Desmond Mooney of Pit Bull tires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3WvfliFMqs
Old 05-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Those look really good. Where they broken in at all before the run, or brand new?
Davis_Krawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Those look super good on that Jeep. Awesome little video chat about these! Ready for my set.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis_Krawling View Post
Those look really good. Where they broken in at all before the run, or brand new?
Thanks! The set I ran was broken in (came off Desmond's Hi Lift / TLT / Tundra). My experience with other PB tires is they get better the more you run them, esp. after 2-3 solid packs. I would expect the same with these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Those look super good on that Jeep. Awesome little video chat about these! Ready for my set.
Thanks! We had a lot of fun out there, and Desmond and the Pit Bull guys are good folks. I agree about the combo with the Jeep body. Seems spot on. I look forward to seeing you put them through their paces.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

New tires look very scale, nice interview and crawl video, thanks! Looking forward to seeing these in person!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Nice video David, looking forward to trying a set of these on my GCM Skeleton also.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Glad to hear they did so well on the east coast. I feel that tire manufacturers on the west coast focus on terrain that they're accustomed to.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #9

I saw your video last night. The tires are impressive. I do think they are a tad too skinny for the height. They end up looking like pizza cutters/tractor tires. I wish they were closer to square like the 1:1 tires. Other than that I'm sure I'll be picking up a set. I love Pitbull tires and I'm sure these will be just as awesome.

I do wish they made their other tires in the super sticky Alien compound.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

In the video he mentioned new foams specifically for this tire. Will they be sold with the tires or are they going to be separate? Wonder if this Alien compound will be offered on the 1.9 rockbeast?
NewScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
New tires look very scale, nice interview and crawl video, thanks! Looking forward to seeing these in person!
Thanks, Nate. I look forward to seeing how you get a set into your Ascender fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
Nice video David, looking forward to trying a set of these on my GCM Skeleton also.
Thanks, sir. You won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Glad to hear they did so well on the east coast. I feel that tire manufacturers on the west coast focus on terrain that they're accustomed to.
Desmond is from Jersey. I knew there must be something worthwhile in that state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I saw your video last night. The tires are impressive. I do think they are a tad too skinny for the height. They end up looking like pizza cutters/tractor tires. I wish they were closer to square like the 1:1 tires. Other than that I'm sure I'll be picking up a set. I love Pitbull tires and I'm sure these will be just as awesome.

I do wish they made their other tires in the super sticky Alien compound.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more Alien Kompound tires. They already have the 2.2 Growlers in that compound, and they will be releasing a 2.2 version of the A.T Hardcores in the Alien Kompound, as well. In the meantime, it's great to have this option to add to the other scale tire options on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewScaler View Post
In the video he mentioned new foams specifically for this tire. Will they be sold with the tires or are they going to be separate? Wonder if this Alien compound will be offered on the 1.9 rockbeast?
The new foams will come with the tires. I don't know whether they will start offering other styles with the Alien Kompound, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more of it.

Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcore Alien compound review and video - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pit Bull 1.9 PBX A/T Hardcore THEPITBULL Vendors Tires and wheels 240 08-05-2017 06:24 AM
Pit bull pbx shock & diff lubricants THEPITBULL Vendors Tires and wheels 8 02-27-2016 09:37 PM
Alien Technology 2.2 Pit Bull Growler dezmoon Tires and Wheels 38 05-02-2015 10:57 AM
Review,, 1.9 Pit Bull Growler, Prototype dezmoon Tires and Wheels 206 10-16-2014 11:31 PM
Pit Bull 1.9 Rock Beast Review thisdougsforu Tires and Wheels 12 07-11-2013 06:32 AM