Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: To vent the wheel or the tire, that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default To vent the wheel or the tire, that is the question

Before you beat me up for not using the search button, I have. There’s lots of conflicting answers on this subject.

I also read the FAQs from the foam manufacturer (Crawler Innovations) and contacted the tire manufacturer (Team Ottsix) and got conflicting answers from them too. So now I don’t know what to do.

Here’s the scoop: I bought my son new SSD steel Trail Beadlock wheels for his birthday along with Voodoo KLR tires and Crawler Innovations Lil Nova 4.5" standard foams with soft front/medium rear outers (I originally wanted the Ottsix 2-stage foams for trucks under 10 pounds but nobody had them in stock when I ordered parts). The truck is an all-stock Axial SCX10 CRC edition and weighs between 6-7 pounds.

What I’m trying to decide is whether to vent the tires or the wheels. The CI website says to vent the tires but doesn’t say how many holes to put in or what diameter they should be. I planned to use a leather punch on the tires.

I then contacted Ottsix to ask when their foams would be available (they said very soon) and then they floored me when they said putting holes in the tires would cause them to fail and ruin the functional elements engineered into the tire. They suggested putting 4 to 6, 1/8" diameter vent holes in the wheels.

I am in no position of contradicting either company as I consider them both tops in their respective fields. But I also don’t want to ruin any parts or throw away good money on bad mods so I’m looking for advice on the best course of action.

We drive our trucks mainly on trail-type terrain that consists of packed dirt, some loose dirt, some rocks and roots, and little to no water or mud.

So what have you found is the best way to vent? How may holes? What size?

Thanks, RCTom
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: To vent the wheel or the tire, that is the question

It comes down to this... personal preference.

I say vent the tires. Smallest hole on the leather punch - two holes, in the middle of the tread, opposite of each other on 1.9 tires, maybe three on a 2.2.

When using Crawler Innovation foams that include the closed cell foam (grey, hard foam), you will have to vent the tire in order for the foam to work. If you vent the wheel, the closed cell foam won't allow air to move, it will block the holes in the wheels. Thus, why Crawler Innovations recommends venting the tire.

Team Ottsix uses open cell foam for their foam options which allows air to move through holes in the wheels. They also design/manufacture tires. Thus, why Ottsix recommends venting the wheels.

I'd recommend venting the tires. It's easier. Tires are cheaper (usually) than wheels (if you happen to change your mind or make a mistake). And it works with closed cell foams.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Also, if you DO happen to run through some water, no matter what foam you may have, the tires being vented instead of the wheels allows you to spin most of the water out as you continue to drive.

Water will move to the outside with centrifugal force and be forced out. To speed up the process you can pick the vehicle up and give it a little throttle and watch them spray...

If you are running closed-cell foam (the thicker, less permeable type) you won't absorb as much in the foam itself, if any.

Disassembling the beadlocks and cleaning the insides and washing/drying the foam once in a while will keep the stink out and/or allowing steel wheels and hardware from rusting.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I agree with both of the above. Definitely vent the tire if you have inner closed cell foam and in general. Harley Designs and C.I. taught me to vent the tires and it's working really well. There could be foam - wheel combinations where it's more natural to vent the wheel though. But generally venting the tires is more practical.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
I then contacted Ottsix to ask when their foams would be available (they said very soon) and then they floored me when they said putting holes in the tires would cause them to fail and ruin the functional elements engineered into the tire. They suggested putting 4 to 6, 1/8" diameter vent holes in the wheels.
If you're going to run in water with open cell foams don't vent anything.

Closed cell foams are waterproof, but don't work as well as open cell foams unless you have a really heavy truck.

Venting a tire will allow debris and water in faster than venting a wheel, but it will also sling out faster.

I'm absolutely floored that Ottsix would tell you that venting the tire will ruin it. It won't ruin any other tire on the market. Also, 4 to 6 1/8" vent holes per wheel is way too much venting! Bad advice all around in my opinion. 1/8" is too big for a vent hole and you only need 2 in my opinion.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 08-30-2016 at 10:15 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The Crawler Innovations Dual Stage foams are specifically designed to vent the tire. Four small holes spaced around the tire works great. Just note you may need to disassemble the wheel/tire from time to time and clean/dry the foams, as least I do, especially after water/mud runs.

With the single stage, dueces wild CI foams, I have ran both vented tire and unvented tire, just depends on how you want the setup to feel and act.

As far as conflicting directions from each company, you are going to get that, as each has their own ways of designing and doing things.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

Four 1/8" holes in every tire and wheel I own. Make the foam do the work. That's the point of a proper foam set up.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

As much as I hate the idea of having a hole in the tire it works and sometimes is required depending on foam setup as previously stated.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

1/8" holes eat gravel......

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
MODERATOR™

That reminds me of when we'd all leave behind a trail of BBs on the course behind us after a run.

Reload between runs.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I actually wish that Axial, Proline, Pitbull etc. would punch holes in the tires for us as to force us to use that setup. That would set the standard and nobody would need to ask the question again.

tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
1/8" holes eat gravel......

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
Yes. They will eat gravel and other things. No need for 1/8" size holes in RC tires. We aren't trying to flow 20 CFM here.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

Picking up gravel? In a 1/8" hole that's blocked by foam in a tire that's spinning?

Hah. Can't be serious.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I actually wish that Axial, Proline, Pitbull etc. would punch holes in the tires for us as to force us to use that setup. That would set the standard and nobody would need to ask the question again.

but that wouldn't be good for those that don't want a vented setup, like for mud trucks for instance. best just to punch a hole if you want one.
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Picking up gravel? In a 1/8" hole that's blocked by foam in a tire that's spinning?

Hah. Can't be serious.
You can't be serious.

Yes, there are pieces of gravel smaller than 1/8" and the foam is easily compressed out of the way. But ignoring the argument that dirt and gravel can get into your tires through 1/8" holes, I stand by my stance that holes in RC tires don't need to be this large especially if you're using 4 to 6 of them.

Agree to disagree.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
MODERATOR™

Alright, we will. I learned to put holes in tires from the old Kyosho and Panther guy, Kingston, after he showed me 1/8 scale buggy drivers do it. He asked why don't we? He then proceeded to poke holes in the Panther Cougars he gave me to test.

I often disassembled my wheel and tire combo and washed everything also.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I run in limerock..... Worse than gravel as it gets into everything and cuts things up, including tires. Have had tears started at the hole and a couple of min later, shredded junk. No not on a crawler, but a rock racer

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I vent the tires. I use a small drill bit. Usually whatever is close at the time, but it's usually smaller than 1/8 inch. The drill bit doesn't make a clean hole. It just kinda rips the rubber a little. It's really hard to see where the holes are drilled. I never have a problem with tearing or water staying in the foams or picking up debris inside the tires.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #19

You can use a hot soldering iron to make the holes
Ausomecrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all of the awesome info folks. I learned a lot in this thread and I have a plan for what to do now!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler innovations, tire wheels, vent, venting, voodoo klr

To vent the wheel or the tire, that is the question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire and wheel question Diggerchick HPI Wheely King 13 12-28-2012 12:09 PM
tire/wheel question(s) rc dreemer Newbie General 5 12-18-2010 08:43 AM
Poll: To vent, or not to vent... that is the question... Katon Newbie General 20 12-23-2009 10:29 AM
CC wheel and tire question 09xD Duratrax Cliff Climber 4 06-19-2009 04:07 PM
2.2 Tire/ Wheel Question thumbman Tires and Wheels 8 09-27-2005 08:34 PM