Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Homemade tire foams...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Homemade tire foams...?

I haven't tried it yet but I am going to order one. But has anyone considered using a large pool noodle to make firm foams.

These have a 4.5" OD and would work for some tires and not all. At $15 a noodle I'm thinking it's worth a shot. Even if it's a bust I can use the noodle in my pool. Gnome saying.
Mighty Pool Noodle | CanUdle.com

I've got various CI Foams in 1.9 and 2", and they're fantastic. But I've happened across 4 sets of 2.2s recently and was going to give this a try.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

My noodle showed up today. So I dug out a Deuce's Wild single stage to compare. I really like these CI DW SS foams but they're not wide enough and are loose on the wheel, IMO.

To get them all the same the best and easiest way was to use a CD case. So off to the storage boxes to find my old CDs. I measured the CI foams and added 5mm to the width. Stacked CDs in the lid and made my cut with a regular hobby knife. Then trimmed a bevel so that the tires would seat. I wanted to use these glue on RPM wheels.

Sweet. Found some classics to reminisce, too.

Made a cut and compared numbers. The ID of the CI is basically 2.25". The noodle is 2". Gudintight. The OD of the CI is 4.75" vs 4.5" of the noodle.

The bevel is hard to see on the noodle foam.

I left the noodle foam flat for now. I'd rather have the tire more filled out and slightly pull the tread down.

Excuse the crappy iPhone pics but the light was fading.

Now these are as firm or firmer than the single stage foams. I am happy with them for my 5 minute run around the yard as it was getting dark. I'm going to try to get them to a rock pile somewhere to check out for crawling. But the purpose of this rig is for trailing. I have a dedicated crawler chassis on CI Double Deuce Comp Cuts with medium outers and they're hands down fantastic. So for less than $15 I've got a set of trail/bashing foams and should be enough to cut another complete set out of for a second Wraith I'm working on...if not a third set.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 12-30-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Homemade tire foams...?

I took the Bomber to some rocks this morning. We've had an insane amount of rain lately and I normally don't do wet wheeling but did today. The Bomber performed as well as could be expected from a stock Bomber. The foams are too firm to consider any decent rock crawling but I think dirt piles and general trail bashing will be great.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm cooking on an idea. If I can come up with a jig to mount on my drill press and cut the noodle at say, 3.5" OD. Then cut a stock foam at 3 or 3.25" ID and 'friction' mount it on the noodle.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I like where your going here! Keep at it.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

I too am thinking pool noodle.I can't wait to see how this turns out !!
rockywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I bought several sets of cheap factory foams to hopefully cut up for this project. It's been on the 'backburner' for a while for life to take precedence.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Aight kids, gather around. I got bored today and decided to mount a set of Falken Wildpeak MTs for my Wraith. I had recently bought a big box of used factory foams and rummaged through it. One set were really soft and those I used.

I measured the width of the Axial beadlocks and marked my pool noodle at 40mm. This'll make the tire bulge ever so slightly once mounted.

I figured out a better way to cut the noodle. Wrap it with a thick cardstock type material and tape it down level. Just like a welder wrapping a large pipe to mark it for a cut. Then use a large knife and roll it away from you. This will 'pull' the blade across the noodle in a natural cutting motion. Also line the blade up against the edge of a table or counter...deep freezer in my case.

Next I mounted the noodle onto a wheel and marked off 15mm from where the bead will seat. A few marks will make a line once spinning on the drill press.

I tried to make a single pass cut using my knife and it's a bad idea. The blade hung up and I ended up destroying a foam and my finger against the chuck. So I got a fresh blade in my hobby knife and cut sections out one at a time.

There is quite a bit of difference in the OD of the noodle and ID of the soft foam. I tried to cut the soft foam and it didn't want to cut cleanly. I did not push it any further as I only had four of these and did not want one torn in half.

Here's where I apologize and offer a disclaimer. I was so eager to get them all mounted I didn't take any further pictures. But the outer foam was a tight fit and once centered on the noodle it was fine. I found it easier to put the noodle on the beadlock barrel and then the soft foam onto the noodle. Then the entire assembly into the tire. I'll post pics if and when I break a wheels down again.

Disclaimer: if you attempt this and end up bleeding out like I did, it's your own fault and not mine. You are hereby warned of the hazards of rotating equipment and sharp objects. Glasses, gloves, and anything else you'd need.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 04-10-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Here's a Deuces Wild dual stage foam with me pressing on it.

My homemade dual stage foam and the same amount of pressure. Looks like I should've gone a few more MM larger.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You convinced me !
Just ordered another 2 sets from Eddie .
No cutting, bleeding, drill press, just proper working foams the first time for me.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Somebody had to do it.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
You convinced me !
Just ordered another 2 sets from Eddie .
No cutting, bleeding, drill press, just proper working foams the first time for me.

Hang up and Drive
Buying the same thing over and over is fine, but it doesn't breed innovation. Eddie was Brake Weight at one point. Experimentation creates great things.

I've thought about this, but never found a noodle the right size. I'm glad you're trying something different.

In my opinion we have good foams, but I honestly don't think we've found the "best" solution yet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the comments. I'm just trying to get the idea out there. There will always be somebody else to take it to the next level.

I just hit a rock pile on the way to preschool pickup. I definitely need some forward weight to climb a few obstacles and this is the tire under the weight of the Wraith only.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Thanks for the comments. I'm just trying to get the idea out there. There will always be somebody else to take it to the next level.

I just hit a rock pile on the way to preschool pickup. I definitely need some forward weight to climb a few obstacles and this is the tire under the weight of the Wraith only.
You're welcome.

Remember, Axial compound isn't the best. And I've heard those Falkens are stiff unless you sipe them.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You're welcome.

Remember, Axial compound isn't the best. And I've heard those Falkens are stiff unless you sipe them.

They're nowhere near the Krawler's stiffness.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
They're nowhere near the Krawler's stiffness.
No, that's not why I mentioned it. I just meant upgrading tires would get you an immediate improvement in performance.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
No, that's not why I mentioned it. I just meant upgrading tires would get you an immediate improvement in performance.

Tire advancement moves faster than cellphones. No sense in me trying to keep up since I don't comp. I still use my old iPhone 5 and I'd rock some Co-Ops or Buckshots on my 1:1 if they were available when the time comes.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I just trimmed up some Moabs... I don't keep up either!

I like this thread, keep experimenting and posting. Not everyone has the funds to always buy the answers. (And sometimes it's more fun to make them anyway!)

On a side note, I did dremel up my Falkens, and they are a ton better. Just cut the bars in 1/2 and they came alive.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Tire advancement moves faster than cellphones. No sense in me trying to keep up since I don't comp. I still use my old iPhone 5 and I'd rock some Co-Ops or Buckshots on my 1:1 if they were available when the time comes.
Another idea is using pipe insulation, the kind that comes in 6' rounds, you can find different sizes OD at most Home improvement stores. I did that for years, just use contact cement to do your gluing. I even make my outers by cutting strips of foam on my band saw and glue the ends.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Having made custom traveling bags for my electronic testing gear, I'd recommend taking a trip to a local foam shop to see what they have to choose from; they may have some scraps that you can play with, and some tips on how to cut the stuff. The pool noodle foam seems to me to be on the stiff side for an off-road rc.

Rather than pressing on them, use a standard weight and ruler for comparing the durometer of the foams and the assembled tires, if just for your own purposes, as a more objective measure.

I may have to try this on my 2.8" wheels, as there are basically no optional foams for them.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote

Homemade tire foams...? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire foams traxxasemaxxer Tires and Wheels 4 10-16-2012 07:24 PM
Homemade foams for 2.2 Swampers BigSki Tires and Wheels 5 07-10-2012 07:45 PM
Tire foams team savage Newbie General 1 02-24-2010 08:00 PM
Homemade Foam Crawling Tire....say what? Offroader5 Videos! 7 12-27-2008 08:16 AM