Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Thoughts on RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 1.9" Scale Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up Thoughts on RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 1.9" Scale Tires

When I first saw the release notice for these tires, I was impressed. And then I saw the height, and I really wanted a set.

I feel the segment for this size tire (3.75" range) is under served. The more detailed scale builds become the more scale parts need to be like their real-world parts, and size plays into that detail.

Enter RC4WD with their offering of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 1.9" Scale Tires.

In the box were the tires and some decals. The tires are stuffed with the typical RC4WD grey foam.

First impression was these things are soft. Very pliable material. I asked my wife to check them out (and she is NOT a scale nerd, or car girl even), and she said, "those are soft... and sticky.'' Her words, not mine. It just so happens that the attributes to RC4WD's new X2 S3 compound are... soft and sticky. Super soft and super sticky, in fact. To use a term a good friend of mine likes to use, these tires are "juicy". This compound is nothing like I've felt for an RC4WD tire. I'll compare it to a few different tires I have on-hand and share more of those findings.

The detail of these tires are spot on to the real tires because these have been Officially Licensed by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.

A couple small things I noticed were a mold line around the circumference of the tread, and a noticeable line around the sidewall of the tire. Both look to be a result of the molding process, and neither are evident on the inside of the tire. Neither should affect the performance.

The tread pattern looks to be open enough to clean, while the center design allows for many edges to grab at rocks and dirt. I like this style of tread design, and some of my favorite tires have a tight center pattern and a more open outer edge.

These tires would look great on a Jeep Wrangler build using the TF2 SWB kit because many full size Jeeps run Duratracs. I wanted the tire to use on my C1 TF2 because I wanted a sub-4" tire (to avoid body trimming).

I haven't had a chance to get them mounted. Now a decision has to be made, do I order new wheels or use some I have on-hand?

I look forward to testing these tires. Once I get them mounted, I'll give them a go and share with you my findings. Stay tuned.

Below are some photos of the unboxing and the detail of the tire.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-05-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Thoughts on RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 1.9" Scale Tires

I'm building a true scale version of mine and currently these would be ideal seeing I have them.

They are just too short to work as a competition rig, maybe as just a static. I know people like short 1.9's, but not myself. Guess I'm sticking to Mad Beast which are similar to real duratracs and work well.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

I'd like to see these in a taller size as well but maybe not as tall as you want. For me a set around 4.5" would be sweet.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

They don't look deformed, fairly nice for RC3WD...
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLwagon View Post
They don't look deformed, fairly nice for RC3WD...

The foams still look like garbage though.

What's the X2 S3 comparable to
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have these tires on my 2013 Ford F-150, as well as my 97 Chevy. I think I must have these.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

What's the X2 S3 comparable to

The material that comes to mind while handling the tires is the non-skid material people use to keep things from moving around on hard surfaces. That sound crazy, but the compound is supple and grippy. The Duratracs have a dull sheen to them and not the shiny dust like some of the other tires on the market.

I have some 1.55 Growlers (Komp Compound) and some 1.9 PBX A/T (Alien Compound) that I plan to compare to the Duratracs, along with some other RC4WD tires.

I'll share more once I actually compare the tires side by side.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I decided on the wheels. I had some TSS 1.9 beadlocks sitting on the desk; so, I decided to mount the Duratracs on them to see what happened.

First, I vented the tires with a leather punch - two small holes in the center tread of the tires. I vent all my tires as I have found that works best for my driving style and the way I set-up my rigs.

I decided to try the included foams to start off. I have a few options in the spare parts box that I will try too. The included foams fill the tires just enough to keep the shape but not overfilling. The tires mounted easily on the wheels. These wheels use an internal beadlock ring, and the front half of the wheel screws to the back half with the scrwes you see on the face of the wheel. No issues with mounting the tires. I did rip one foam as I was removing it from the tire. It was the first one I removed, and I was more careful on the others.

The stance of the tires with the included foams is spot on for what I want it to look like. It simulates an aired-down tire ready for the trail. The softness of the included foams will allow the tire to form around the terrain and get some extra grip. I see an issue with side-hilling because the foam provides little support when the weight of the rig is forced on one side as in a side-hill situation. The rig the Duratracs are mounted on is approximately 7-1/2 pounds, depending on installed accessories.

Here are a few photos of the Duratracs mounted and on the rig.

Last edited by btoungette; 07-05-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: photobucket ransom
Old 03-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So what is plan B for tire foams if (when) the stock ones end up too soft?

I appreciate the recent growth in the sub-4 inch tire realm but the foam options for said tires haven't kept pace.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I am excited about the partnership with Goodyear! The new compound is exciting as well. I am waiting on the 1.9 MTR. I hope they make it at least 4.75 tall. I wouldn't mind a 5.0 to compete with the new pittbull. The MTR is a true offroad tire so it only makes since to stay in the larger size tire arena. Better yet release the MTR in a class 1, Class 2, and 5.0 for class 3 1.9 comps rigs!!!!!!!!
MUF DVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
So what is plan B for tire foams if (when) the stock ones end up too soft?

I appreciate the recent growth in the sub-4 inch tire realm but the foam options for said tires haven't kept pace.

I'll try a few foams that I have taken out of other tires before I start purchasing foams. I've managed to find some good foam/tire combos from using what I had in the spare parts box. If I run through those options, I will research what's available for purchase.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm sure I have a set of 1.9" RC4WD dick cepeck mud country tires that I use on my ascender, they have these foams in them: Deuce's Wild Single Stage for 1.9 Tires; 4.19

It seems to me that they are close in size.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I like them, S3 compound, nice looking tread etc, those foams gotta go though. Little short for my taste, 4.5" is good for 1.9 tires, but these are obviously for more scale guys, are they available in 1.55 or 1.7 at the same height?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
... are they available in 1.55 or 1.7 at the same height?

Only offered in the 1.9 version.

I'd like to see a 1.55 tire or a 1.7 tire in this height range with this compound.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #15
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
Only offered in the 1.9 version.

I'd like to see a 1.55 tire or a 1.7 tire in this height range with this compound.
I agree with you on that. Would have been a better tire size/rim size but I'm glad they brought back this tread design with Goodyear Duratrac written on the side. Hope to see more sizes in the near future!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I just want the MTR in a 1.9 haha
mk3jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3jetta View Post
I just want the MTR in a 1.9 haha
So do I, but not a huge size, around 4.4 or 4.5.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Turn on oven to lowest setting, then turn off. Set the foams in and walla, fully reformed. Myself I use CI instead but this is a good tip for those that like the stock foams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
I'd like to see these in a taller size as well but maybe not as tall as you want. For me a set around 4.5" would be sweet.
I could be happy with a 4.5" version for sure. These look like 20" wheels mounted on 33" tires. Need more sidewall on them to make them look like 17" and 35". Though I guess going to a smaller wheel size would do the same.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My next set of tires.......perfect size for scale builds.....theres enough 4.5inch tires out there ....these look.the be about the same size as regular mud slingers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Turn on oven to lowest setting, then turn off. Set the foams in and walla, fully reformed. Myself I use CI instead but this is a good tip for those that like the stock foams.
I wasn't talking about the distortion of the foams. I was talking about the compound of the foams. Every RC4WD tire I've had has come with foams that are way too soft and they quickly deteriorate and get even worse.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thoughts on RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 1.9" Scale Tires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Mickey Thompson 1.55" Baja ATZ P3 Scale Tires Any thoughts on these.. rustneversleeps Tires and Wheels 6 04-26-2017 11:58 PM
New RC4WD Goodyear Tires - Coming Soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-15-2017 02:09 PM