Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Best performing rock crawling tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Best performing rock crawling tire

I'm going back and forth between the otsix klr in gold, the new rockbeast in alien, or the hyrax in its softest compound. What do you guys run? Thanks for any input
Evan Harich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Best performing rock crawling tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Harich View Post
I'm going back and forth between the otsix klr in gold, the new rockbeast in alien, or the hyrax in its softest compound. What do you guys run? Thanks for any input

We've done side-by-side testing with the KLRs vs the RB XLs in PA and NC in a range of conditions, and the RB XLs performed a little better for us, esp when caked with dirt /or mud (they clean out better and have more traction before cleaning out). I haven't yet tried the Hyraxes yet but have heard good things from people whose opinions I trust. Different climate and terrain conditions might favor one or the other slightly, but
in the end, all three are good choices. Other factors (driving skill, foam choices and truck setup) will probably make more of a difference than the choice of tire among those three.

Also, you might want to ask a mod to move this thread to the tire section, since it's not platform-specific.

Last edited by new2rocks; 04-08-2017 at 12:02 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best performing rock crawling tire

All things being equal, Hyraxes are the better tire. They work better everywhere and are more consistent on all surfaces and in wet or dry. I've tried them all and RBXLs are the close second. I was unimpressed with KLRs.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Wow ok thanks guys, I have been using a set of klr in blue compound, I'll try the new rockbeasts.
Evan Harich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Out of those choices I'd choose none of them. jconcepts ruptures are fantastic all around tires. It takes some work to make them great but after beating on a set for almost a year they are my favorite all around tire for sure.

I have G8 hyrax and tsl sx's, voodoo pins in gold, ruptures and scorpios in green, r35 bfg's, XOR's and even a set of losi boss pins to round up the choices. When it comes to straight up rock crawling I love the ruptures. I've ran the hyrax a bit and the voodoo's are losing their virginity tomorrow. The hyrax are pretty solid but I bet they get better with age.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Love my rock beast XLs!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I vote hyrax, just seem to work better then anything I have used, have used in the sand, snow, mud, hard pack and trailing. I have them on my leaf spring scx10ii (1.9) and my wroncho (2.2, 9+lbs). I used to run voodoo tires untill they openly bashed another company on here, and now refuse to give them any money.
rickrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Trashy is spot on Ruptures are fantastic with the stock foams with a set of CIs you won't believe them

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ruptures are the best forward bite tire period second is rover,sedona. alot of the pro cars are runnin ruptures now. hyrax and rockbeast are awsome. wont run an ottsix product so i couldnot say if they work or not. i know i have made some vids in this tire section if all the tires listed above. the scorpios are a strange bird. with a little work its the best rock tire,shitty everywere else but for rocks only it kills it. trash is on point.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
THE ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

As of right now my favorite setup is ruptures up front with the internal reinforcement removed and the inside sidewalls shaved smooth. I leave the lugs on the outside of the tire since I use them. My side lugs show almost as much wear as the tread. I run scorpi-pins as I call them on the rear. Completely shaved sidewalls inside and out with the tread hacked up severely. I've tried scorpios on the front and didn't like them oddly enough.

I fought the shit out of the climb last fall. Went up last weekend to see if the snow was gone and one shotted it. Headed back next weekend with the new arsenal of tires to try it again.

The first time I ran hyrax they did 5 lines I'd been struggling with. I was sold, they were the bestest tire evar! Then I continued tweaking my suspension and now I can do the same lines on my jconcepts combo easily. I haven't ran the hyrax since but they're mounted up and ready to run today.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
RCC Addict

The Rock Beast XLs and the Hyraxes are both excellent tires. Hyraxes are great right out of the bag (with CI foams) but RBXLs take a little breaking in before they start to shine.

I had gold KLRs. I tried 3 different foam combos in them and just was not happy with them.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

Nice SCX10 IIs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Nice SCX10 IIs.

One of them will end up with an scx10II rear axle when I can find the time to design a proper truss for the mass market. #scalenerdsrejoice.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
As of right now my favorite setup is ruptures up front with the internal reinforcement removed and the inside sidewalls shaved smooth. I leave the lugs on the outside of the tire since I use them. My side lugs show almost as much wear as the tread. I run scorpi-pins as I call them on the rear. Completely shaved sidewalls inside and out with the tread hacked up severely. I've tried scorpios on the front and didn't like them oddly enough.

I fought the shit out of the climb last fall. Went up last weekend to see if the snow was gone and one shotted it. Headed back next weekend with the new arsenal of tires to try it again.

The first time I ran hyrax they did 5 lines I'd been struggling with. I was sold, they were the bestest tire evar! Then I continued tweaking my suspension and now I can do the same lines on my jconcepts combo easily. I haven't ran the hyrax since but they're mounted up and ready to run today.

Any close up pictures of your Ruptures and Scorpios? I have a set of Scorpios doing nothing at the moment, and have only seen a few pictures of ones with the tread cut into a new pattern,
Boopernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopernator View Post
Any close up pictures of your Ruptures and Scorpios? I have a set of Scorpios doing nothing at the moment, and have only seen a few pictures of ones with the tread cut into a new pattern,
Sure.

Every lug on the scorpios got cut, clipped or grooved.

I also removed the ribbing from inside.

The left tire(s) got part of the side wall tread removed and the right got clean shaven on both sides. I also removed the huge bead area on the inside to allow the tires to flex.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #16

There is no such thing as one "best" in pretty much any walk of life. The best tire for the situation depends on the conditions, terrain, vehicle, etc.

I think KLRs are the most overrated tire in maybe the history of RC crawling. They're rock hard.

ProLine produces great tires. I'm partial to the Hyrax and TSL Super Swamper. Pitbull also makes good tires. I love the Rocks Beasts. I haven't had a chance to try the Alien Kompound yet.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #17
I joined the Band!

Ottsix customer service is absolute garbage. The guy (Matthew) is rude and flaky at best with responses. Lots of fanboys with their tires, but between Voodoos and Pitbull or Proline I'd do Proline or Pitbull all day.
bigchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #18

Quote:

JConcepts Ruptures surprised the heck out of me. They are great tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchimp View Post
Ottsix customer service is absolute garbage. The guy (Matthew) is rude and flaky at best with responses. Lots of fanboys with their tires, but between Voodoos and Pitbull or Proline I'd do Proline or Pitbull all day.
The interaction I've had with him has been fine. I do think he recommended the wrong compound to me for the lightweight trucks that I have, but he was nice to me.

On the other hand, his comment on the Duratrax tires thread was rude and inexcusable though. I didn't understand why he would lash out at tires that are probably a 1/3rd of the price as his since they really aren't direct competition. Maybe it's because some of the Duratrax tires actually work surprisingly well...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #19
I joined the Band!

Every interaction I've had with him has been a complete turnoff. I'm not the only one who has bad things to say about him either - not sure why he seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I think we've gotten to the point where tire compounds are good enough to each new tire that comes out isn't some second coming of crawler jesus, or whatever the fanboys treat them as.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

Best performing rock crawling tire - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst performing tire recommendations jeff22 Tires and Wheels 48 02-15-2016 08:15 PM
Best tire for rock crawling buzzbe97 Newbie General 15 03-17-2011 06:21 PM
Best all around performing tire 1.5 Mr. Ed 1.5 Scale Rigs 6 08-17-2010 04:50 AM
Best performing 1.9 scale tire gapjr Tires and Wheels 22 02-12-2010 01:35 PM
Best Performing 1.9 Tire MaxxPain Axial SCX-10 6 09-10-2009 11:12 AM