Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: to narrow or not to narrow m2k's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default to narrow or not to narrow m2k's

hey guys i spent a lot of time searching for info on the pro's and con's of narrowed m2k's but couldent get a straight answer. i know its good to narrow moabs and other stuff for the sidewall flex etc. but what about mashers? i see most people runing them un-narrowed. but then i see that xrc sells them narrowed. and a guy in my club has his narrowed and he know's his she-ot! any help you can give would be great thanks!
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Run your un-narrowed versions, then borrow your buddy's narrowed versions, and see which you like better. The reason you probably can't find a straight answer is because there really isn't a straight answer. Terrain, driving style, particular rig, etc etc etc will vary from truck to truck, so exactly which style of tire will work best for you will vary as well.

Good Luck!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would definetly narrrow them. I have a set made both ways and like the narrow ones on my tlt.
420ZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
Run your un-narrowed versions, then borrow your buddy's narrowed versions, and see which you like better. The reason you probably can't find a straight answer is because there really isn't a straight answer. Terrain, driving style, particular rig, etc etc etc will vary from truck to truck, so exactly which style of tire will work best for you will vary as well.

Good Luck!
yeah your right. i was just wondering if its worth the 59.00 for the pre-narrowed ones or if i should just try the standard with with a narrowed rim first. i thought there might be an added advantage to having norrowed m2k's
Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

i got some for sale if you dont want to hack up good ones.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57935
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Ultimate RC Decals

only sure advantage would be in comps. you can fit in between the gates a little easier. i like mine. here's a small clip with the hooking up pretty well.
vid
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

wow! id say they hooked up great! did you modify the foams?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

VERY slick little rig BOWTIE. Is that a Twin Force body?

revin9k,one thing you gotta look at though is location He's out in Texas where the rocks are dry and most are like sandpaper with glue on them compaired to the moss and mudd covered rock back here

Just something to keep in mind..... Different tires work different in different locations on different rigs driven by different drivers......Notice all the difference?

IMHO,back here on the wet,mossy,and muddy sloppy east coast,it's a good idea to have a few tires to pick from for different spots and/or conditions. I'd get a set and run them. Then,get a set and narrow them. Then,get a set of Moabs for when it's DRY out

Last edited by Reflection; 01-29-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
'08 2.2 National Champ

I'm assuming you are talking about 2.2, right? I narrowed my maxx size ones on my super and IMO they work a little better. Not night and day but a little. Get yourself some beadlock wheels so you can experiment with things in your area. That way you have to invest a little more at first but it allows you to try different tires, foams, and weight easily.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin9k
wow! id say they hooked up great! did you modify the foams?

foams are narrowed to fit the new width and i cut off about 1/4 off. they were stiff at first but are breaking in nicely.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57

revin9k,one thing you gotta look at though is location He's out in Texas where the rocks are dry and most are like sandpaper with glue on them compaired to the moss and mudd covered rock back here

Just something to keep in mind..... Different tires work different in different locations on different rigs driven by different drivers......Notice all the difference?

IMHO,back here on the wet,mossy,and muddy sloppy east coast,it's a good idea to have a few tires to pick from for different spots and/or conditions. I'd get a set and run them. Then,get a set and narrow them. Then,get a set of Moabs for when it's DRY out

yes it's a twin force and i'm actually looking for another one. this one if coming apart on me.

and i agree 100%, tires performance depends alot on the terrain they're driven on.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE
only sure advantage would be in comps. you can fit in between the gates a little easier. i like mine. here's a small clip with the hooking up pretty well.
vid
Wow. Someday, I hope I can crawl up a rock like that....

Nice looking ride and obviously great setup.
gskar1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57

man i wish i was out in texas for those sandpaper rocks yeah you are right about the east being very different everywhere you go. i have a pair of moabs on narrowed pede rims now.and its the wet stuff that im worried about . everywhere where i crall its next to the river or dam. i think ill get the m2k's and put them on those new axial beadlocks then i will try the narrowed m2k's and not have to narrow another set of rims. i cant wait for that i would also like to try the red rocks.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin9k
man i wish i was out in texas for those sandpaper rocks

don't forget the glue..
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWTIE