Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Be careful with your 3d printed parts!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Be careful with your 3d printed parts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
It's the material, not the fact that they are printed. Anything printed in PLA is going to warp at 110*F and above because it has a pretty low glass temperature. ABS is a better choice for strength and heat resistance as it's glass temp is double that of PLA. I just learned this the hard way at Axialfest with the 6x6 I built entirely out of PLA and sitting in the sun for a little over an hour caused some bad deformation in a lot of the parts on one side.
That sucks to hear, I was following that build and the end result looked great. Do you have any pics of the damage?

As far as I know, printing in ABS basically requires a much more expensive rig than the usual, cheaper PLA only machines, since you need hotter extruders and a heated bed.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I don't agree with PLA only meant as dis-solvable support material. Nothing will fully dissolve it that won't also ruin PETG, Nylon, ABS, etc. There are a couple filament materials (HIPS/PVA/Etc) you can use that dissolve in water or another mild chemical. I also wouldn't say PLA is only for trinkets, it's perfectly fine for virtually anything that doesn't need much mechanical strength. A dummy scale motor block, a scale Recaro seat, headlight buckets, etc.

Another interesting thing I found was carbon fiber reinforced filaments. A 3DXTech graph showed their PETG and even the PLA having a higher tensile strength than ABS reinforced with the same carbon fiber. The PETG was nearly as strong as the reinforced Nylon, which is quite impressive. Another youtuber did a real-world test and nylon/abs/petg showed roughly the same strength while PLA showed around nearly 33% more tentile strength. There's another guy that tested heat-treated PLA to be stronger than any material he tested (40% gain over normal PLA), albeit with unusual shrinkage.

3DXTech graph https://www.3dxtech.com/blog/updated...er-filaments/#
Youtube strength test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br63xWD2R-I

One thing to note, that PLA wheel shown above was roughly the same weight as the Axial ABS wheel but never cracked like the Axial did.

As far as printing with ABS, it just requires a printer that's not completely cheap. I know some people who started with cheap printers and they regret not spending the extra for a slightly better printer. I got a clone of a Replicator that can heat the bed up to 100C for ABS and it's fantastic. That wheel was probably the 6th item I had ever printed.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
It's the material, not the fact that they are printed. Anything printed in PLA is going to warp at 110*F and above because it has a pretty low glass temperature. ABS is a better choice for strength and heat resistance as it's glass temp is double that of PLA. I just learned this the hard way at Axialfest with the 6x6 I built entirely out of PLA and sitting in the sun for a little over an hour caused some bad deformation in a lot of the parts on one side.
Doh! That sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
As far as I know, printing in ABS basically requires a much more expensive rig than the usual, cheaper PLA only machines, since you need hotter extruders and a heated bed.
That's not true at all. My $200 Monoprice printer, which I love, will happily print ABS. It will also print PETG which I prefer over ABS.

It won't print nylon or flexible filament without modifications though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

As far as I understood, a heated bed really helps with ABS, as will isolation around he printer. You can easily make an enclosure to sort out that last part though.
ABS normally requires a bit higher temperature on the extruder for the best results.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
As far as I understood, a heated bed really helps with ABS, as will isolation around he printer. You can easily make an enclosure to sort out that last part though.
ABS normally requires a bit higher temperature on the extruder for the best results.
You are correct. I've had excellent results with ABS on several printers with a heated glass bed with hairspray as an adhesion promoter and an enclosed printer to slow cooling and prevent drafts. The print head temp difference is a minor change. I ran a single element for close to 2000 hours on one machine with ABS exclusively and never had a heating element failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
One thing to note, that PLA wheel shown above was roughly the same weight as the Axial ABS wheel but never cracked like the Axial did.
Axial plastic is all injection molded nylon. I haven't seen any ABS from Axial. When I was first learning about plastics and stuff I tried messing with Axial plastic and methylene chloride did nothing, indicating it wasn't one of the other common RC plastics like lexan or ABS
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
Heated beds help with adhesion, but ABS likes enclosures. I don't have my printer in an enclosure.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I'm really loving the quality of Shapeways prints, they're making me not want a printer (as I can only afford cheap), I usually get black strong and flexible which is Nylon, How Does Nylon do in the heat?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

A little off topic, but I made the mistake of putting one of the sought after newbright jeep jks (new in box) in a garage sale (in my garage). Temps were in the 80s, but the greenhouse effect of the box turned the body into a candle!!! It looks great under water though.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Be careful with your 3d printed parts!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Printed Parts monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 5 05-29-2015 10:20 AM