Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 2.2 hyrax vs rock beast 2 alien

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2.2 hyrax vs rock beast 2 alien

There is a lot of info on the hyrax but so much on the rock beast 2 alien compound. Has anyone ran both and if so what is your thoughts?
Psycho-Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2.2 hyrax vs rock beast 2 alien

Pick the one you think looks better. They're both good and you'll get anecdotes about both tires about how good they are, I've run both but currently the Hyraxes are on the shelf because I like the look of Pitbull RBs a bit more and I only have one 2.2 rig.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Pick the one you think looks better. They're both good and you'll get anecdotes about both tires about how good they are, I've run both but currently the Hyraxes are on the shelf because I like the look of Pitbull RBs a bit more and I only have one 2.2 rig.
I also prefer the looks of the RB2's. Since you have ran both, do you see much of a difference in performance?
Psycho-Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Not particularly on the crawling side, they both perform fantastic and there was a couple spots for each tire where it made a climb slightly easier than the other, but overall they both kept pulling through so I just left it down to looks.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
v33
Rock Crawler

i ran the Hyrax 1.9 for trail/crawling and these are very capable tires and I love them, also the height is just enough for the trails we hit.

earlier today i got the RB2's in the mail... my initial thoughts are the foams are very stiff compared to the hyrax, i am not liking it, maybe because i am used to softer foams. another thing is the height, i guess i have my scx10 dialed for the slightly smaller hyrax, using the RB2 on a test climb i have here at home... they topple easily. the RB2's do not have wheel weights nor tire vents like my hyrax, i will setup it tomorrow and see if the performacne improves else this go up for sale and i will run the hyrax on sundays trail.

do you guys use different foams for crawling and do you punch the tires to vent them or run it without one?
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #6

I have the 2.2 Hyrax with Proline two stage foams, but not the 2.2 Rock Beats. So I can't compare the 2.2's, but I can compare the 1.9's which is just what I did this past weekend.

Here is what I wrote on a different post.

"The XORs are too big for the Ascender so I put them on my GMade "Sawbeast" Sawback. I had a chance to run my 1.9 Rock Beast XOR tires [Alien Kompound] this weekend with the stock foams. The stock foams are garbage - way too hard. I do have the tires on a relatively light weight rig - my Sawback, but I wish Pitbull would go back to their dual stage foams. Or just get rid of the stock foams and reduce the price of the tires.

Midway through the day I switched to Proline Hyrax with the Proline Dual Stage foams. The Proline tires and foams destroyed the Pitbull tires and foams. Even on the same rocks the Hyrax embarrassed the Rock Beasts. I'm quickly losing all faith and love I had for Pitbull."

All things considered, especially cost, go for the Hyrax and the ProLine two stage foams.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Got the Hyrax in 1.9 and the Pittbull's in 2.2, so not a direct comparison, but i love both.
I dont feel there is a big difference in preformance betwen Voodoo, Pittbull and Proline. Own tires from them all, and super happy with them all.

EDIT: Make sure you buy some good foams.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote

2.2 hyrax vs rock beast 2 alien - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hyrax vs Voodoo klr vs Pitbull Rock Beast Jamifra Tires and Wheels 30 05-20-2017 08:10 PM
Rock Beast ii komp or Alien compound Brisco Tires and Wheels 4 02-11-2017 08:03 AM
Rock Beast XL, Hyrax, or Super Swamper? ajsmcs Axial SCX10 II 36 12-17-2016 01:12 AM
Alien Space Ship with a Alien Door ! run2jeepn Chit Chat 12 05-08-2011 06:16 PM