Notices

Thread: Pitbull rock beast xl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Pitbull rock beast xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't know that. How do they wear? The X2 SS tires wear way too quickly and they chunk as well.
I have the Iroks in the Advanced X2SS Soft & Sticky Compound, what a disappointment. Totally turned me off to rc4wd tires. Not sure about the new compound, but based on the x2ss RC4WD shouldn't even be in a conversation with proline and pitbull.

Chunk? Are you referring to chunks of material pulling away? My mudslinger did that.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I have the Iroks in the Advanced X2SS Soft & Sticky Compound, what a disappointment. Totally turned me off to rc4wd tires. Not sure about the new compound, but based on the x2ss RC4WD shouldn't even be in a conversation with proline and pitbull.

Chunk? Are you referring to chunks of material pulling away? My mudslinger did that.
Some people run the older, harder X3 compound. I have no idea how or why they do it. I'm guessing they haven't had a taste of good tires.

I don't think X2 SS is that bad. I loved my X2 SS Iroks. But once I got a taste of Proline and Pitbull I only went back to RC4WD tires once. I bought the 4.6" Mickey Thompson MTZ tires. They're the only tire I've ever had tear on me and that was after only 2 or 3 runs.

RC4WD foams are bad too.

Yes, when I said chunk I meant that X2 SS RC4WD tires literally shed chunks of the tire when they wear.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #23
RCC Addict

The Rock Beast XLs really need wear on them before they start to hook up. A lot of wear. Do some burnouts on 80 grit. Vent them, and run with good foams.

Hyraxes and TSL XLs hook up great out of the bag without any break in. I give a slight edge to the Hyraxes over broken in RBXLs, but the RBXLs are a better looking tire.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post

my Iroks in the x2ss compound are very good for my terrain and absolutely hook up terrific on ice and ice covered snow piles. I will get the chance to test out the Hyrax tires this winter
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
my Iroks in the x2ss compound are very good for my terrain and absolutely hook up terrific on ice and ice covered snow piles. I will get the chance to test out the Hyrax tires this winter
They do have a nice tread pattern, Ill give you that.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The Rock Beast XLs really need wear on them before they start to hook up. A lot of wear. Do some burnouts on 80 grit. Vent them, and run with good foams.

Hyraxes and TSL XLs hook up great out of the bag without any break in. I give a slight edge to the Hyraxes over broken in RBXLs, but the RBXLs are a better looking tire.
I've always found the "need to wear in" to be be a bunch of BS. Sure one run to clean off the mold release and any "hard" coating that may have occurred during manufacturing is a good idea. Anything more than that means you have crap tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
My IROKS always worked well for me too. But as I think I said earlier in this thread, they wear way too quickly and the chunking causes more wear and they look horrible.

Maybe RC4WD will offer the IROKs in X2 S3 and I'll give them another shot. Let's just hope they don't freaking tear like my MTZs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #27
gaz

This is why I love this forum.

For years I always thought Rc4wd did the best tyres, now they did look the part and for most of the sets I’ve owned I’ve been happy with them, recently a mate of mine introduced me to pitbull tyres and oh my god, difference is night and day and most importantly just look right.

But every thread I read I learn a little bit more, best thing is I’ve been into this ‘scale’ malarkey for best part of ten years now.

And you can’t really put a price on that.
gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
This is why I love this forum.

For years I always thought Rc4wd did the best tyres, now they did look the part and for most of the sets I’ve owned I’ve been happy with them, recently a mate of mine introduced me to pitbull tyres and oh my god, difference is night and day and most importantly just look right.

But every thread I read I learn a little bit more, best thing is I’ve been into this ‘scale’ malarkey for best part of ten years now.

And you can’t really put a price on that.

I have had that experience also. The forum can lead you astray at time, not because of bad information but do to information being outdated.

What PBs? The difference between komp and alien is noticeable. Im hoping for rockbeast in alien.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #29
v33
Rock Crawler

joined an event last sunday and was running the RB2's... they worked perfectly during test runs, climbed the man made fiberglass rock bridges without any effort whatsoever. during the comp they actually had a puddle of water in an area before the fiberglass climb... these XL's performed poorly, it wont grip the 45° climbs even after the that 1st area on the 2nd climb it still would not grip... so freaking dissapointed!

Here is a shot i took, not my truck but just to give you an idea of the climb. it is also the first fiberglass hill so no water areas yet...

i think these are just over 3 feet high. these are going on storage for a while.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I tested a set of fresh Rock Beat XLs (and RC4WD MT/R 4.75). Stock foams. The tires didn't feel that sticky and I couldn't get them to grip rocks? They just kept sliding off rocks that I'm usually able to creep up with Pro-line BFG Krawlers in G8.

How long do these tires take to break-in?

It's weird, I got these in a trade, but the compound seems even harder than the Pro-Line G8. I thought Alien was supposed to be soft? Are there any other versions of the XLs in different compounds?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I also had difficulty getting them to grip like the regular rock beasts, I think the foam plays a huge role. I also found on certain trucks they just weren't a good match, they were too tall on my TRX4 Defender making the already top heavy truck even worse, too big for an Ascender and too big on most of my other bodies.

I tried dual stage CI foams with poor results, tried a mix of different sizes, over stuffing them also with poor results then I put them on a shelf for quite some time, tried to trade or sell them, nobody wanted them lol.

I finally found a decent home and foam setup on the Gen 8 using some stock foams from another set of tires (open cell and soft but sized very close). The XL size is very fitting with the Scout ii body at least. I recently noticed the wheels I was using (Gmade SR02's) were too narrow of an offset and I had rubbed a groove on the inside of the tire, its been a while since I've done that. I think the Gmade wheels are likely the heaviest set of wheels I have but those wheels in combination with the tall tires worked well at offsetting the raised CG. They do terrible at side hilling with these foams though so these still aren't my favorite tires.

It is a frustrating and perplexing tire for sure!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-15-2019 at 01:27 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Ran a trail yesterday on some fairly wet rocks, rained in the morning.

My sons PBRB XL's were hooking up like crazy. only the second time they were run.

My Redcat IROK"s were like driving on ice. First time out on them.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I like them vs the taller growlers. I run Alien in both, the XL’s needed stiff foams out back

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
For years I always thought Rc4wd did the best tyres
How.. on earth... WHY?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
Ran a trail yesterday on some fairly wet rocks, rained in the morning.

My sons PBRB XL's were hooking up like crazy. only the second time they were run.

My Redcat IROK"s were like driving on ice. First time out on them.
I've had good luck with the Redcat IROKs once you scuff them a bit to get the mold release off them. Brand new they're slippery from all the mold release.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #36
RCC Addict

IIRC I'm running 4.75 comp cut CI dual stage foams in them. Soft outer up front, medium outer in the rear. Break in on them took me several runs. Once the tread got a bit shorter and rounded off, they drastically improved but I still prefer the Hyraxes or Krawlers.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #37

How are theseholding up for everyone? Truly a better design than the RockBeast or are the Hyrax the way to go ?
Nez02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nez02 View Post
How are theseholding up for everyone? Truly a better design than the RockBeast or are the Hyrax the way to go ?
Pro-Line Krawler
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #39
RCC Addict

I'm really liking the Predator compound Krawlers, but just grabbed a set of the new JConcepts Landmines to throw on my comp rig. They feel like they will do very well.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

i have a set of the pbrbxl2s but i never ran them there waiting for a rig to get built to go on or atleast a set of wheels lol
the hyrax have been the best tires ive ran yet over all but there have been times were my axial krawlers in r40 i think the old wraith rock hard tires with stock foams would out climb every other tire i have those are the tires i run on my 20lb work truck when it gets over 100° outside so i guess all tires have there turn in the spotlight
ive been trying to were out a set of austar super swamper and there not great but there decent they seem to be holding up there pretty wore down but still have tread even though i spin them every chance i get so untill i can aford a top tier brand tire in that size ill keep trying to make slicks out of them
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Pitbull rock beast xl - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitbull Rock Beast VS. Growlers Vs. Mad Beast (1.9) Flim Flam Tires and Wheels 31 08-02-2016 03:02 AM