RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Good all around tires for the PNW (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/591442-good-all-around-tires-pnw.html)

SPLATT 11-04-2017 10:44 PM

Good all around tires for the PNW

I'm looking for a tire that will do fairly well in a wide variety of terrain. Right now I'm running the 1.9 Axial BFG Krawler tires with CI foam that seem to work well on rocks and hardpack but don't seem to work all that well in the loose stuff. I know that there isn't any one tire that does everything the best but would like one that does a wide variety decently. I don't do comp's so I don't really need a competition level tire either.

lonleycreeper 11-05-2017 12:16 AM

Re: Good all around tires for the PNW

I lean towards the proline tsl as my go to tire, I have the small 1.9, and the small 2.2.

WHITE-TRASH 11-05-2017 12:24 AM

Tsl's are good. There is not a single best tire for all terrains especially here in the pnw but tsl's or hyrax are pretty good all around.

ussprinceton2004 11-05-2017 06:44 AM

Chinese 1.9 TSLs for $13.96 for 4 w/ inner foams

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-qualit...19.m1438.l2649

SPLATT 11-05-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 5764112)
Tsl's are good. There is not a single best tire for all terrains especially here in the pnw but tsl's or hyrax are pretty good all around.

[/I]

I know there is no one best tire. I just want one that works better in more conditions than the ones I have. The Axial BFG Krawlers work great on rocks and hard pack but as soon as they get into the loose I might as well have slicks on.

GLwagon 11-05-2017 01:29 PM

I try to use cute & pretty tires & keep going back to the Duratrax Showdowns.
I have a pile of tires & one tire does 98% (just not good looking).

Pushjerk 11-05-2017 02:23 PM

Sup from Whidbey. I'll second and third the Genuine Proline TSLs. Great on our soft stuff - dirt, soft to firm evergreen forest floor, and excellent on our granite and coastal volcanoc rocks too.

I've also really enjoyed the Pit Bill Rock Beasts on my SCXs. A great all round tire, but struggles on some dirt and roots where the TSLs with their big side lugs would laugh and keep on moving.

johnnyluv 11-10-2017 12:43 PM

I've gone up many trails in the Cascades (wet Western side), running the Axial Maxxis Trepador 1.9's, with great results. I'm now wondering about the Axial Ripsaw 1.9's with R35 Compound? Not as scale looking, but I've read good reviews about their performance.

justinart24 11-10-2017 12:56 PM

I think Pitbulls do well in the PNW. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE1wXvFhMk8&t

SPLATT 11-10-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyluv (Post 5765850)
I've gone up many trails in the Cascades (wet Western side), running the Axial Maxxis Trepador 1.9's, with great results. I'm now wondering about the Axial Ripsaw 1.9's with R35 Compound? Not as scale looking, but I've read good reviews about their performance.

I have a set of the 1.9 Ripsaws that I have never really used. They are still glued to the stock Axial wheels that came on my Honcho. I just wish they were taller.

SPLATT 11-12-2017 02:23 PM

Well I ordered a set of the Proline Swamper XLs. Hopefully they will outperform the BFGs.

MasteroFlego 11-12-2017 04:33 PM

what tires work well on smooth, wet roots, while still doing okay on loose dirt?

Eli. 11-13-2017 07:52 AM

Good all around tires for the PNW

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasteroFlego (Post 5766357)
what tires work well on smooth, wet roots, while still doing okay on loose dirt?

The proline tsl swampers usually hold their own quite well. You may still have difficulty on smooth wet roots as those are always a challenge. But wheres the fun if there’s no challenge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasteroFlego 11-13-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli. (Post 5766545)
The proline tsl swampers usually hold their own quite well. You may still have difficulty on smooth wet roots as those are always a challenge. But wheres the fun if there’s no challenge?

I noticed on Vanquish's site that the 2.2 TSL XLs have trouble mounting on beadlocks, do the regular TSLs have that problem too?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Eli. 11-13-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasteroFlego (Post 5766552)
I noticed on Vanquish's site that the 2.2 TSL XLs have trouble mounting on beadlocks, do the regular TSLs have that problem too?

I’ve never mounted them on VP wheels. I know they are difficult on rc4wd beadlocks but had no issues with proline beadlocks.

Natedog 11-13-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleycreeper (Post 5764111)
I lean towards the proline tsl as my go to tire, I have the small 1.9, and the small 2.2.

Very nice. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPLATT (Post 5765856)
I have a set of the 1.9 Ripsaws that I have never really used. They are still glued to the stock Axial wheels that came on my Honcho. I just wish they were taller.

The small 1.9 Ripsaws kicked ass on my SCX10 working well everywhere! The smaller tire sidehilled great with some single stage foams too! Not bad looking, but not quite as scale looking as some tires. The 2.2 did great on my Wraith too! "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPLATT (Post 5766330)
Well I ordered a set of the Proline Swamper XLs. Hopefully they will outperform the BFGs.

You'll be happy with those tires, great scale looks and very versatile all-around tire. "thumbsup"

Hal 11-15-2017 03:48 PM

I thik you will be very pleased with the TSL. I run them on my Bomber and have loved them. I run a med foam up front and a hard in the rear. I am running a Pro-4 3800 brushless so i wa t the stability of a slightly harder foam. If I was just crawling I would probably go with soft/med setup. Be very cautious what rims you put them on, they have a very thick bead and some rims (beadlocks) will cut the bead. Good luck

MasteroFlego 11-15-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hal (Post 5767362)
I thik you will be very pleased with the TSL. I run them on my Bomber and have loved them. I run a med foam up front and a hard in the rear. I am running a Pro-4 3800 brushless so i wa t the stability of a slightly harder foam. If I was just crawling I would probably go with soft/med setup. Be very cautious what rims you put them on, they have a very thick bead and some rims (beadlocks) will cut the bead. Good luck

TSL XL or TSL SX?

SPLATT 11-16-2017 02:10 PM

Should I use the foams that come with them or use the CI foam I have in the other tires?

DukeMinnix 11-16-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPLATT (Post 5767657)
Should I use the foams that come with them or use the CI foam I have in the other tires?

Chances are the CI foam you already have will be severely undersized in the XL version of those tires. And yes, they are a bitch to get mounted on vanquish wheels, but not impossible, just takes some patience.