Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: nOOb Tires...again...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default nOOb Tires...again...

Hey guys,
So I'm already bracing myself for the upcoming onslaught of posts telling me I shoulda searched (I did on and off for 3 days) for this answer already. I'm also prepared for vitriolic comments surrounding the predictable brand wars that seems to always ensue this type of question. It seems like we only get a few people posting valid responses before it descends into poop slinging and sponsorship promotion. This all being said I just got my son an Everest 10 for Christmas and I've got an Everest Gen7 Pro on my Santa list. Fingers crossed. He (we) are going to be using it (them) for just having fun, though part of that fun def will be upgrading the tires. No comp for us; just crawling around and over everything we can find. We go camping a bunch in the summer and will be bringing the crawler(s) with us. At the various campsites there is obviously a wide variety of terrain types and obstacles. I realize that there is not 1 single best tire. What I'm looking for is peoples opinions on what would be the best all around tire for my boy and possibly I to start with as we start our crawling experience. All types of terrain. If we get into the hobby more and more, I'm sure we'll get different sets for the various situations. Thanks guys and thanks for your patience with my noob ignorance.
Everest10Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: nOOb Tires...again...

"My favorite tire is currently the Interco Tsl. I have the small Proline, med Vaterra, and the 2.2" 5.4" tall Proline. The tread design works well everywhere. Proline compound is at the top, and lasts a long time. I also run Pitbull growlers, rock beasts, old school roc lox, Axial ripsaws, and Falcon mtr's, both in the r35 compound.

My buddy is running Duratrax deep woods tires, and they are very impressive.

So in conclusion, find a tire that suits your conditions. A close tread pattern for sand and pure rock, and open tread for roots mud, and snow.

There are many very good tires on the market...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'd recommend just running the stock rubber for a while first. Although the stock E10 tires do kinda (really) suck, it can still get around while your boy is learning the ropes.

I just received my son's Gen7 last night and I did take a peek in the box before stashing it for Christmas. The Gen7's Iroks are astronomically more pliable, have a softer compound, and better tread pattern than the E10's tires. I honestly don't foresee changing them out anytime soon, if at all. My older son switched his E10's tires/wheels out for 4.75"ish tires on 1.9" wheels and it crawled better than it did with the taller stock 2.2"s. He did run it with some Proline TSL SX XL's for a while and it did really up the E10's game, but they were honestly too big. The adequate-for-1.9"s 15kg servo struggled to turn them and they rubbed the body badly even with a sensible amount of trimming. I thought it did pretty well with a take-off set of 2.2" Axial Ripsaws, which can be had cheap.

Lots of options out there!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
Hey guys,
So I'm already bracing myself for the upcoming onslaught of posts telling me I shoulda searched (I did on and off for 3 days) for this answer already. I'm also prepared for vitriolic comments surrounding the predictable brand wars that seems to always ensue this type of question. It seems like we only get a few people posting valid responses before it descends into poop slinging and sponsorship promotion.
In the 10 posts that you've made since you arrived here, how many responses have been poop slinging or sponsorship promotion? We've all been very kind and helpful, spending our own personal time writing down recommendations based on experience and research. We get paid nothing for this kindness, none of us is sponsored by RCC, eBay, HK, RPP, Turnigy, etc and now you're hating on us and RCC? What's that all about?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:56 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
In the 10 posts that you've made since you arrived here, how many responses have been poop slinging or sponsorship promotion? We've all been very kind and helpful, spending our own personal time writing down recommendations based on experience and research. We get paid nothing for this kindness, none of us is sponsored by RCC, eBay, HK, RPP, Turnigy, etc and now you're hating on us and RCC? What's that all about?
I'm very sorry that I came across offensive. Absolutely not my intention at all. No-one has ever responded to me in negative way. Everybody has been helpful and kind to me without a doubt. In my posts I express gratitude to RCC and it's members, their experience and insight. What I was referring to was the many different threads I have read over the last few days (nothing to do with me personally) when I have seen this type of question turn into one or more people saying their tire was the best and others are terrible and anyone who doesn't feel the same way must be a noob or clueless (if not directly it has been implied). Others were touting the tire they run is far superior and then another person's post points out that they were sponsored by that tire manufacturer and thus obligated to 'promote' that brand. I'm sure you can find other posts to prove me wrong of course. I was just trying to see if I could get a few people to share their experiences with different tires in varying terrain and conditions without the vitriol that can ensue. That is all. Thanks to all that spend their personal time to share their experience and thoughts on RCC. You have helped me, others and future crawlers to come.

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 12-03-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Honestly for what you and your son are going to be doing the tires won't be an issue. Get what you think looks the best as all the decent brand tires on the market will perform fine for your needs.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default nOOb Tires...again...

Any of these brands should work fine for you like: Pro-line, Pit Bull, Axial, RC4WD Etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

More important than the tires are your foams. A great set of foams will make a crappy tire better, might not make it great, but you will feel the difference. A great set of foams and great tires will never let you down.
Proline Hyrax, CI Double Deuce foams

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

If your not worried about competing with the trucks and are out to have a good time, you might as well get a real scale tire like they use on 1:1 trucks.
One almost everyone knows of even if they do not know much about 4x4 trucks, is the Super Swamper TSL. They perform well and are a great conversation starter/peice. Pro-Line, Rc4wd, PitBull RC, Axial all make some real 1:1 liscensed tires, and for even more of a challenge on the rocks/Trail, try some less aggressive meats like the BFGoodrich AT KO2!
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Getting advice on tires is nigh impossible round here.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

My vote is for the proline tsl's and a good set of foams. The stock foams will work for a short time but aftermarket foams will really allow you to tune the tire for numerous situations
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

One caution note.... IF you choose ProLine tires, make sure your wheels are compatable. Prolines beads are the issue.
I run both GearHead and SSD wheels with my SuperSwamperTSL’s and Hyrax’s

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks everyone... I'm looking at all of the one mentioned and others as well. I like the looks of the Proline Hyrax (concerned about our bead lock compatibility), Pitbull Growler AT/Extra (Alien), Pitbull Rock Beast XL (Alien) and, Voodoo KLR (Gold). All look cool (IMHO). I really like the Hyrax but the need to buy another set of compatible wheels requires further consideration (two sets of wheels; not such a bad idea...I guess).

EDIT:

Also a nice set of either CI dual stage foams or whatever the proprietary foams of the tire manufacturer I end up with will be purchased as well. Thanks, Phins Fan, mikemcE for getting me to look deeper into the foams situation.

Last edited by Everest10Dad; 12-03-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #14
RCC Addict

For what it's worth, I had no issues at all mounting Proline tires to the stock E10 wheels. In fact, I've had no trouble mounting Proline's to any beadlock wheel that uses dual external locking rings (like the stock E10 wheels, Axial 8 holes, RS10 wheels, etc) so I'd be willing to bet that the Gen7 wheels would work just fine as well.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Take the foams out and turn them inside out and put them back on they work much better it makes the foams smaller on the rim and stiffer giving some space between the tire and the foam you dont realy need them though the tires are stiff enuff and light enuff to run with no foams im running them on my racing go fast clod buster foamless and they work realy well even on a heavyer truck the only reason i would keep the.foams would be to protect the rim from realy hard hits i havent had a problem with the e10 wheels though but i have with other cheap wheels and.tire combos
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest10Dad View Post
I'm very sorry that I came across offensive. Absolutely not my intention at all. No-one has ever responded to me in negative way. Everybody has been helpful and kind to me without a doubt. In my posts I express gratitude to RCC and it's members, their experience and insight. What I was referring to was the many different threads I have read over the last few days (nothing to do with me personally) when I have seen this type of question turn into one or more people saying their tire was the best and others are terrible and anyone who doesn't feel the same way must be a noob or clueless (if not directly it has been implied). Others were touting the tire they run is far superior and then another person's post points out that they were sponsored by that tire manufacturer and thus obligated to 'promote' that brand. I'm sure you can find other posts to prove me wrong of course. I was just trying to see if I could get a few people to share their experiences with different tires in varying terrain and conditions without the vitriol that can ensue. That is all. Thanks to all that spend their personal time to share their experience and thoughts on RCC. You have helped me, others and future crawlers to come.
Thank you for your sensitivity, humility, and kindness. I apologize for being so reactionary.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I, like others, think at least the Irok looking tires on the truck you're (maybe if you're good) getting would be adequate for light trailing and woods riding. I would personally swap them over to your sons E10, maybe address the foams, I am not educated on the stock redcat foams they use, they may suffice, may not. Then you can get yourself a good quality scale type setup for your own truck. It doesn't sound like you do strictly rock crawling, so I'd lean more toward the interco line from proline if you're wanting to have a scale tread appearance, or the hyrax if you don't care about the scale appearance. If you're keeping the stock motor and esc, the proline denali is a cheap beadlock that plays well with their tires, but is plastic so the hub mounting area doesn't benefit from having a metal hex seating area.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #18

Proline TSL Super Swampers or Proline Hyrax. There are no better all around tires. Add Proline dual stage foams for even better performance.

And despite the much fabled issue about Proline tires not fitting wheels I've only ran into that issue once when using Fanquish wheels with the 2.2 XLs. Every other wheel I've tried has worked fine.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 12-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I, like others, think at least the Irok looking tires on the truck you're (maybe if you're good) getting would be adequate for light trailing and woods riding. I would personally swap them over to your sons E10, maybe address the foams, I am not educated on the stock redcat foams they use, they may suffice, may not. Then you can get yourself a good quality scale type setup for your own truck. It doesn't sound like you do strictly rock crawling, so I'd lean more toward the interco line from proline if you're wanting to have a scale tread appearance, or the hyrax if you don't care about the scale appearance. If you're keeping the stock motor and esc, the proline denali is a cheap beadlock that plays well with their tires, but is plastic so the hub mounting area doesn't benefit from having a metal hex seating area.
Ooohhh I like this concept but one question;... Aren't the Gen 7 tires quite a bit smaller than the E10's tires? Would that look weird or compromise climbing prowess?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #20
RCC Addict

The Proline TSL XLs are an excellent all around tire. Hyraxes are a bit better on pure rock crawling but they arent really as scale looking as the iconic Super Swampers. Pitbull Rock Beasts and Rock Beast XLs are great. If you're into the tiny tires, Pitbull PBX are excellent, but they are small and narrow. I gave KLRs a chance with a few different foam setups and just could not get them to perform. Running the same place back to back with my TSL XLs, the KLRs just didnt work as well.

I'm not a fan of the Proline wheels because they have a billion screws but they are priced fair. I have mounted Proline tires on several different wheels and havent really had a problem. RC4WD wheels can be a PITA to mount tires on, especially the wagon wheels. Those are the worst wheels I have ever used as far as mounting tires goes. I tossed them across the room a few times lol.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote

nOOb Tires...again... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to assemble tires. Noob Q. mkilci Axial AX10 2nd-gen 0 01-14-2017 08:44 AM
noob needs tires tattooedbmf Newbie General 5 02-27-2010 06:30 PM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM
noob about tires Bigsky Tires and Wheels 3 03-02-2008 01:22 PM