Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: CA Glue - Does It Go Bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Default CA Glue - Does It Go Bad?

I use AKA Premium Tire Glue. I'm looking for an alternative since it's too thin and cures too quickly for my liking. I'm open to suggestions.

But the main reason for this post is about the shelf life of CA glue. I know it will dry out and then it's obviously junk. But does it go bad and lose its adhesive qualities? I have some AKA glue that won't hold the tire to the wheel. I can pull it off by hand. Both the tire and wheel beads were cleaned with alcohol.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CA Glue - Does It Go Bad?

On one of the last sets of tires I glued, I found alcohol did not clean the tires nearly enough for the glue to make a solid bond. I gave them a wipe down then let them dry and everything looked clean so I glued them up. Well, there was still plenty of mold release on the tires (and possible some soaked into the rubber that the glue drew out) to foul the glue. All 4 tires debonded themselves rather quickly and cleanly.

Since then, I started using acetone or Goo Gone to wipe down the beads on my tires. If I really want to be sure they will stay on, I'll hit the beads with a sanding drum first then wipe them down with acetone.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Yes, CA glue does go bad with age. Especially if it has been stored with a loose fitting cap / poor seal and at room temperature. Keeping the CA bottle tightly sealed and in the refrigerator will help with potency and long term storage.

The best and most consistent CA glue I have found is Bob Smith Industries;
Link: Premium Adhesive for Hobby, Hardware and Recreation

CI is a dealer for them and we have a bunch of different CA's in stock, just send me a message if you're interested.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I use AKA Premium Tire Glue. I'm looking for an alternative since it's too thin and cures too quickly for my liking. I'm open to suggestions.

But the main reason for this post is about the shelf life of CA glue. I know it will dry out and then it's obviously junk. But does it go bad and lose its adhesive qualities? I have some AKA glue that won't hold the tire to the wheel. I can pull it off by hand. Both the tire and wheel beads were cleaned with alcohol.
Yes ca has a shelf life. It depends on brands but it is normally 1 year shelf life and 30 days after it is open.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
On one of the last sets of tires I glued, I found alcohol did not clean the tires nearly enough for the glue to make a solid bond. I gave them a wipe down then let them dry and everything looked clean so I glued them up. Well, there was still plenty of mold release on the tires (and possible some soaked into the rubber that the glue drew out) to foul the glue. All 4 tires debonded themselves rather quickly and cleanly.

Since then, I started using acetone or Goo Gone to wipe down the beads on my tires. If I really want to be sure they will stay on, I'll hit the beads with a sanding drum first then wipe them down with acetone.
I've never had a problem with alcohol cleaning the tires and wheels. It is possible this batch has a ton of mold release, but usually you can see and/or feel that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Yes, CA glue does go bad with age. Especially if it has been stored with a loose fitting cap / poor seal and at room temperature. Keeping the CA bottle tightly sealed and in the refrigerator will help with potency and long term storage.

The best and most consistent CA glue I have found is Bob Smith Industries;
Link: Premium Adhesive for Hobby, Hardware and Recreation

CI is a dealer for them and we have a bunch of different CA's in stock, just send me a message if you're interested.
Thanks for the input.

It just so happens that I ordered Bob Smith Industries Insta-Flex+ last night. Is that the BSI glue you'd recommend for tires?

I also ordered some Dynamite and Proline glue to try. I just haven't been happy with AKA glue lately.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
RCC Addict

CA requires mosture to polimorize, if you are having the same cold weather I am the your air is dry as dirt.

Try damping your surfaces first.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Hal
Quarry Creeper

In the industry I work in we use a lot of the CA glues. I realy like the Bob Smith Industries products. Some of the bottles will have an expiration date on them. Typically I will keep the products refrigerated when not using them. Also as mentioned moisture will cure them. Not mentioned is the fact that some of the CA glues are somewhat sensitive to ultra-violet light (sunlight and led lights) so keeping them in a cool dry dark pace is best for storage. Acetone will also debond MOST of them.

Last edited by Hal; 01-10-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote

CA Glue - Does It Go Bad? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you guys use to glue tires other than CA glue? country_crawler Tires and Wheels 38 03-17-2015 11:10 PM
signs of a bad pack?? or just a bad motor. Docwolf Electronics 5 04-15-2013 06:05 PM
To glue or not to glue...rear tires Snipervision Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 12-24-2010 11:01 AM
Memory Foams To Glue or not to Glue? Rig Rocker Tires and Wheels 1 09-30-2009 10:45 PM