RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Compromise Wood & Rock 1.9 Tire??? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/592932-compromise-wood-rock-1-9-tire.html)

RGunn 12-16-2017 10:13 AM

Compromise Wood & Rock 1.9 Tire???

Hi folks. Just started into the Crawler side of the hobby and am modding-up a couple 'mini-1/16' for indoor rock and wood structure use.

I would appreciate hearing (reading) your opinions on which 1.9 size tire is the best compromise for wood & rock exclusively???

Would like to stay in an O.D. range of 4.19" - 4.3".

Thanks for your comments.8)

JatoTheRipper 12-16-2017 11:11 AM

Re: Compromise Wood & Rock 1.9 Tire???

Proline TSL Super Swampers. Those and the Hyrax are the best all around tires you'll find.

EDIT: I just remembered they are now making Hyrax in 4.19". I'd choose them slightly above the TSLs for best all around tire.

DukeMinnix 12-16-2017 11:14 AM

indoor rock and wood structure use, I'd lean toward the RC4WD Goodyear MTR in the 4.19 size

AWraith build 12-16-2017 01:06 PM

+1 for the mtr's

JatoTheRipper 12-16-2017 04:16 PM

You guys would choose RC4WD tires over ProLine or Pitbull? :shock:

AWraith build 12-16-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5776798)

I have them all and my 2 tires killing in are krawlers and mtr's. I sold my tsl's, rockbeast and rockbeast xls and growlers. Where I live in the pnw those 2 are killing it. And just the mtr. No other Rc4wd I had completed with proline or pit.

RGunn 12-16-2017 09:45 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.8)

I hadn't even considered those MTR's until your guys mentioned them. The tread design is interesting.

AWraith build 12-16-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGunn (Post 5776875)
Thanks for the replies so far.8)

I hadn't even considered those MTR's until your guys mentioned them. The tread design is interesting.

The 1.1's work awesome and the new compound is soft. It's not sticky like g8 but it's softer and hooks up well all conditions.

DukeMinnix 12-19-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5776798)

not outdoor in the pacific northwest or in the east where we live, but if I lived in the southwest where it was arid and dry, or indoor like this guy said, I'd give them a shot absolutely.

For me outside I'll run proline TSLs and rock beast aliens all day... I do want to try the Hyrax around here, I haven't yet and they look like theyd be grabby as all hell.

JatoTheRipper 12-19-2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5777659)
not outdoor in the pacific northwest or in the east where we live, but if I lived in the southwest where it was arid and dry, or indoor like this guy said, I'd give them a shot absolutely.

For me outside I'll run proline TSLs and rock beast aliens all day... I do want to try the Hyrax around here, I haven't yet and they look like theyd be grabby as all hell.

I swore by RC4WD IROKs until I tried other brands. Since then I just haven't been happy with the X2 SS compound. RC4WD does now have a newer compound, but it's limited to certain tires.

DukeMinnix 12-19-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5777663)
I swore by RC4WD IROKs until I tried other brands. Since then I just haven't been happy with the X2 SS compound. RC4WD does now have a newer compound, but it's limited to certain tires.

I'm not sure whether the compound is infinitely better the stickier it is for certain situations. Obviously on rock, you want it as sticky as you can get it, but much like my experience in the 1:1 wheeling world, sometimes a sticky compound can and will gum up more in sloppy, or even moist and dirty situations, where a normal compound tire will clean with some wheel speed. I'm not experienced enough in the RC world yet to give an honest opinion fully yet.

RGunn 12-19-2017 09:16 AM

I hope I don't have any "sloppy, moist, or dirty" crawling going on in our Family Room 'Rock & Wood Pile' course! If I do, I got a leaky roof on the house!:ror:

After finishing a few basic mods. on the trucks they are crawling so much better than stock form. However, the stock tires are really bad. I will be buying new tires shortly after the Holidays so I appreciate everyone's input.8)

Anyone try these newer V2 Hustler M/TX Super Softs?

AWraith build 12-19-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5777659)

I live in the pnw where it was wet and now snow and the mtr's are killing it! We have a few of us running the larger 4.75 and 2.2s and everyone is really surprised. Myself included. I'm curious why you would not recommend them in the nw when you say you live on the east coast? I'm not a giant Rc4wd tire guy but these are doing really well.

DukeMinnix 12-20-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWraith build (Post 5777824)
I live in the pnw where it was wet and now snow and the mtr's are killing it! We have a few of us running the larger 4.75 and 2.2s and everyone is really surprised. Myself included. I'm curious why you would not recommend them in the nw when you say you live on the east coast? I'm not a giant Rc4wd tire guy but these are doing really well.

I prefer larger lug voids, pure and simple

JatoTheRipper 12-20-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5777992)

Same here. I can't think of a situation where this isn't ideal.

AWraith build 12-20-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

So you must have never held or seen the mtr. The voids are bigger than anything else iv ran on the outside and inner tread. I won't argue with you bc that's why I think these tires work so well.

AWraith build 12-20-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

So you must have never held or seen the mtr in person. The voids are bigger than anything else iv ran on the outside and inner tread. I won't argue with you bc that's why I think these tires work so well.

durok 12-20-2017 07:22 PM

I gotta say, while I have no horse in this race, the MTR does have very large voids...

Witness:

1.9" 4.75" height:

http://www.rc4wd.co.uk/product/Z-T0158-10.jpg

RGunn 12-21-2017 07:25 AM

I wonder why the MTR didn't come as a directional tire with a pair having a 'left' & 'right' side?

Perhaps the associated cost of a second mold is the answer??? I use to machine molds for plastic injection molding.

Ditchrat 12-21-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5778020)
Same here. I can't think of a situation where this isn't ideal.

Smooth rock like slate, and rocks like sandstones. I crawl a couple places where PBX a/t have some serious gripping power, where the rb xl's just don't have as much.

But that's why we have multiple rigs and tires"thumbsup"