Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: I put flat spots in crawler innovations deuces wild single stage foams. Fix?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question I put flat spots in crawler innovations deuces wild single stage foams. Fix?

Purchased some foams about a month ago and was going to hit pause on the build until spring so I put them in an air tight vacuum seal bag so they wouldn't dry out. I do this with all my RC tires/foams etc.. that get stored for long periods and it keeps things in great shape & stops dry rot. I decided to test mount everything yesterday because I finished two builds for guys at work and have nothing to work on now but my own stuff. I opened the bags and I have flat spots & crush marks of coarse where the foams were touching each other in the bag....so....steam works on regular foams and they pop right back into perfect shape. What works on the closed cell foams because steam does nothing but make them wet. This is obviously my first set of closed cell foams.
THANKS!!
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: I put flat spots in crawler innovations deuces wild single stage foams. Fix?

The honest answer is your foams are now useless. Once the gray closed cell is permanently crushed or broken down, that's it. #1 rule for foams to last is do not crush them. Do not store your rc on them.

In 1:1 motorsports such as drag racing, the fast vehicles are always stored with the tires off or the cars elevated for traveling or between rounds. It's the same principle for rc car foams. The foams serve as the final tuning of air pressure in the tire.

What would you expect to happen to something that it pressure sensitive being crushed in a vacuum for months?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I put flat spots in crawler innovations deuces wild single stage foams. Fix?

That sucks. I hang all mine on the wall with the suspension stroked out in an HVACed room. Loose tires and foams in a sealed plastic tub stacked loosely.

Do you have the attachment where you can vacuum things in a mason jar? Just curious if that’ll do anything besides make them harder.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the responses. I am a little on the old side to do a Rookie move but...I did. First set of foams like this and I was used to regular foams. Didn't think.
Thanks again.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

wow food for thought.
i have my yeti on the pegboard with wheels off, not on purpose but i will keep this in mind with the rest of my trucks from now on.

Thanks Fordfreak for asking the hard question.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

could you try cutting the foams down and adding an outer layer of open cell foam like the dual stages and at least get some use out of them? My thought anyhow.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Cleaning out my friends fathers house out we found his first Brat that have not been used in 20 years or something, all 4 tires ( original ones ) was like glass or hard fragile plastic, and several of them was flat-spotted from the place where it had been lying.

Threw it out as he have a new unassembled one if he get the Brat feeling again.

I think we again have thrown out some 100 kg of RC gear from my friend place, not the first time we have done that, needless to say he is a lifetime RC addict.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Wow i never realy thought about it i store all my rigs on there wheels some times stacked 3.or 4 deep i have never goten flat spots that ive noticed i made some closed cell.foams from a knee pad and although they dident fit the rim tight or run very true they worked realy good and never got flatnspots there as bad/good the day i took them out as the day i put them in but i got bigger tires and my foams werent gona work im using the stock proline foams now and i can see that there just not it so i was gona buy some ci foams now im second guessing that
Im in the water almost every run or i would just flip the foams inside out like i do on my cheap rigs but on my wraith i want the best i can get but the foams have to last atleast as long as the tire if i the foams deform and are toast from sitting for a few days then there just not gona work for me my home made foams held up a 10lb wraith for over a year with no flat spots.so i guess its back to the drawing board or maybe the proline foams will break in or down with time but i realy want closed cell foams that wont go flat and it would be nice if i could just buy them

I try to not let my rigs sit for more than a day or 2 i dont know how much a differance it makes

So how long dose it take for the ci foams to develope un repairable flat spots on a 10lb+ rig also what if the tire was rotated and left to sit in a different spot every day would they eventualy work back to roundish again and stop making flat spots

Last edited by ferp420; 01-11-2018 at 07:49 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Or get a 4x8 sheet of pegboard and a dozen medium sized hooks from Harbor Freight. Mount the pegboard on the wall out of the way and hang them all up. It takes up 4’ of wall space but saves all the floor space.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Or get a 4x8 sheet of pegboard and a dozen medium sized hooks from Harbor Freight. Mount the pegboard on the wall out of the way and hang them all up. It takes up 4’ of wall space but saves all the floor space.
I dont have 4 ft of wall space in my f250 and i spend alot of time travaling ive woke up laying on top of my rigs more than once so good foams that retain there shape no mater what are a must for me and i know it can be done i did it already i guese ill have to make my own again if the ci foams cant recover from a flat spot
Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If I were part time living out of my work truck I, personally, would pull the wheels off when not in use. I don’t like leaving mine on their own weight either as to why I hand them. I’d rig up some sort of Molle system to hang them somewhere. One of the last things you’d want in a crash is a 10lb rig to the back of the head. Not to mention the other potential loose items.

How many RCs are we talking about? You need a sack of a couple dozen nyloc m4 nuts for starters.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Since you have already spent the money on them, I would go ahead and install and run them. What's the worst that could happen and they may work perfectly fine.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
RCC Addict

You guys need the CI foam blocks.
I store my yeti jr on one and i got a second for the bomber.

Keeps the wheels off the ground nicely.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post

If I had the shelf space I would. Hanging them is much easier for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Im usaly carring 5-7 rigs 1 being the yeti xl 2 clods a wraith 2 redcats and 2 12th scale tamiya sized customs and the new 1/6 build will be done soon so its gona need some space aswell so taking the wheels off each time one each rig would be to much i run 2 nuts per wheel on my wraith and red lock tight to keep from snaping axle pins and striping hexes some are 17mm wheel hexes and a pain to get on and off and the yeti has 2 different sizes rtr front kit rear my last wraith foams were kneeling pad for gardening or what ever its 1" thick you can park a car on them for a week and they hold there shape i cut that in to 1" strips and clue the ends togethe then i star cut my stock foams then cut them in half down the middle like a tuning ring just to fill the space in the side wall they realy brought the ripsaws to life but i wanted bigger tires and since im out of foam pads i thought i would just buy ci foams but now im going to harbor freight gona get some holesaws and some foam pads from the auto department and cut me some new foams first thing this summer untill then ill stick with the foams i have paying around and see what works
Old 01-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post

Amen to that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote

I put flat spots in crawler innovations deuces wild single stage foams. Fix? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations 2.2 Deuce's Wild Single Stage Scaler and Comp Foams Szczerba Tires and Wheels 22 03-05-2017 10:23 AM